Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Extreme Detailing - Novice doing it the Carrera Monkey way

segart

I had planned to get the car professionally valeted, but having seen CarreraMonkeys thread of diy detailing I thought I would give it a go. Most of the stuff needed was ordered on ebay; some of it has still not turned up but here are the results. I won't go into the actual various different processes as it is all on CMs thread but here is how it panned out for me.

It is difficult to photograph swirly paint (with a Blackberry at least) but you can get some idea of the 'before' paintwork from these. The car was quite clean but it was a tad dusty as the farmers round here are frantically getting Jersey Royals sorted out in the surrounding fields.
IMG_20160331_153314_zpsw4ceqf1z.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG_20160331_153331_zps3mensux6.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_20160331_153346_zpscslg8zmc.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG_20160331_153409_zpsjgyynos5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

This one is a bit random but last nights Chicken Piri Piri brochettes seemed to have got mixed in here. Top tip; marinade the chick breast chunks for at least 6 hours in the PiriPiri sauce, then try not to cremate them on the barbie!
[/img]

After and awful lot of washing and rinsing, and applying the fairly foul Trix liquid and washing that off the car was starting to look a bit cleaner. Actually quite a lot cleaner.
IMG_20160403_113348_zpssf72jcfp.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG_20160403_113600_zpsafkh7eib.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I thought the claying bit with the G3 Farecla mitt was going to be tricky but it was just as CM said. Use lots of Detailer Spray (I made my own from car shampoo and water 1 to 5) and then gliding the mitt over the paintwork, it felt a bit gritty for a very short while and then ran smoothly across the paint surface. Really simple.[/img]

Then it was out with the Poorboys Black Hole. Odd name but good product. It goes on fairly easily and buffs off with MF cloths without having to work up too much of a sweat.
IMG_20160403_114206_zpsc0tc2f0j.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Then as the Blackfire Sealant still has not arrived two weeks after ordering it, it was out with the Autoglym Super Resin Polish.
IMG_20160403_121915_zpsqrafakca.jpg
[/URL][/img]
And after a load more applying and buffing the end result looks like this.
IMG_20160403_114846_zpsltcvdb8e.jpg
[/URL][/img]
That is Rick Towers seen in the reflection of the 911.

IMG_20160403_122028_zpssceqgew7.jpg
[/URL][/img]

And here it is back in the warm and dry!
IMG_20160403_131829_zps0xcdf6ob.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Good work.

PB black hole and AG SRP are the same sort of products, filler heavy polishes, so you could still do with some sort of sealant to lock your hard work in.

It was actually quite enjoyable and I am really pleased with the result. I may even tackle the Mini!
I am also a convert to Micr Fibre cloths, having been using shammy leathers for decades. The MF cloths work really well. And I also invested in a couple of super absorbant drying cloths which will dry a car in about 60 seconds.
Thanks to CarreraMonkey for the guidance.
atb
Rick

trig_112 said:
Good work.

PB black hole and AG SRP are the same sort of products, filler heavy polishes, so you could still do with some sort of sealant to lock your hard work in.

Totally agree, I'm a novice too, but for a full detail on car that doesn't need claying, I follow the wash - dry - polish - glaze - wax routine.

Would be a good idea to at least get a wax on the car to seal and protect the shine you've worked hard for, if you like poorboys their natty wax would do it.

Segart.

Well done mate. Great to see you take up the challenge! You did a great job as well! Wasn't so scarey huh? Do you see what I mean when I say the paint feels different after a decontam and clay?

The guys are right, the glaze and polish are the same thing so you could really do with some protection.

If it's going to be sat in the garage though, don't sweat it.

A quick wash and dry and a wipe down with The blackfire Gep will be sufficient before applying the blackfire afpp.

Great job mate. I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat. 8)

CarreraMonkey said:
Segart.

Well done mate. Great to see you take up the challenge! You did a great job as well! Wasn't so scarey huh? Do you see what I mean when I say the paint feels different after a decontam and clay?

The guys are right, the glaze and polish are the same thing so you could really do with some protection.

If it's going to be sat in the garage though, don't sweat it.

A quick wash and dry and a wipe down with The blackfire Gep will be sufficient before applying the blackfire afpp.

Great job mate. I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat. 8)

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for the bleeding Blackfire sealant to pitch up. I will leave the car as is indoors until it arrives and slap the stuff on. I am hoping I dont need to wash it again before that, provided I dont get a dust build up.
Yes the paint feels very slippery to the touch; almost as if it is wet.
I hope not to end up as an overly fussy car washer (halfway to that already) but I definately think I will be continuing with this system from now on.
Cheers
Rick

First rule of working on car bodywork is to take your watch off. :bye:

Well the Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant finally pitched up...sheez. Gave the acr a wipeover with some Final Touch and then misted the Blackfire on the paintwork, and it finished it off a treat. As the car had been sat in the garage for ten days waiting for the stuff I even took it out for a spin and here it is. Got some admiring looks on the way, unless people were just wondering who the knob is who spends too much time polishing his car!!
Cheers Rick
IMG_20160412_153201_zpspyfpg1yw.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Nice job, the car looks superb. :thumb:

AG SRP is what's known as an All In One product, so it has cleaners, fillers and includes some Last Stage Protection too. It won't be particularly durable as an LSP but you wouldn't necessarily need to use another wax or sealant afterwards. A sealant usually works best on bare paint with no other products in between and will give much greater durability this way (something to do with the way the product bonds to the surface underneath it apparently).

Trouble is, the longer your sealant lasts the less excuse you have to go out and do it all over again! :D

madge said:
A sealant usually works best on bare paint with no other products in between and will give much greater durability this way (something to do with the way the product bonds to the surface underneath it apparently).
:D

Depends - blackfire suggest using their gloss enhancing polish before applying the afpp product. Its really just a cleaning polish with fillers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back