Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 PCM-delete options

Roro said:
Replacing with an iPad mini sounds interesting though, any more info on that?

Throw it to Google - the big US-centric forums have threads on it. One of them actually used the RS PCM delete shelf as the base for their installation bezel. :thumb:

If they aren't too far from you, I can recommend these guys - http://www.autoaudio.uk.com/home.php

They did some simple work on my daily to link up my iphone but they showed me round the workshop and they had some amazing stuff in process

Thanks for that, it's definitely worth knowing :)

Disco said:
Roro said:
Replacing with an iPad mini sounds interesting though, any more info on that?

Throw it to Google - the big US-centric forums have threads on it. One of them actually used the RS PCM delete shelf as the base for their installation bezel. :thumb:

What would be super cool is a pcm delete shelf and a Bluetooth module plumbed in for iphone, ipad , nav, phone, sounds etc.

Roro, do you have the sound pack option? Think this ads seprate amps so you may not need the head unit to acutually drive the speakers.

I like the idea of that a lot

This is an extract from my cars spec -

M-numbers Top of page MNR Type Description
Heated seats
Wheel centre set
Tire Pressure monitoring system (TPM)
Sound Package Plus incl. CD storage box
Windscreen with grey top tint
Chrono Package Plus
P23
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module
P74
Bi-Xenon lighting system
XSX
Seat belts in Guards Red

Is 490 the sound option you mean?

Roro said:
I like the idea of that a lot
Is 490 the sound option you mean?

Sound Package Plus is what we are talking about. The amp talks to the PCM unit over the fibre-optic bus in the car though, so what you would need is something that could talk directly over that bus to the amp and also bridge it to bluetooth for your phone or other device. The problem is that as far as I know, the solutions that add bluetooth to PCM 2.x based cars talk to the PCM console and that in turn talks to the amp (thus you can use the console to control playback and so on) - I've never heard of a solution that cuts out the middle man so to speak.

If there is an answer it will be in one of the iPad threads (i've not read through them all personally), so start hunting there. If there isn't a solution out there then I would speculate that it could be done by swapping the amp out and programming up a baby computer (just something like a Raspberry Pi with appropriate add ons) to provide the interface. That would be easily hidden behind the trim and give you exactly what Dan describes, but legwork would probably be involved to make it all work. It is however quite likely that someone out there on the wider internet has already done it as such a solution wouldn't be Porsche specific if the amp is bypassed so it might just be fishing rather than engineering.

Seems like a lot of fuss and effort for something that you can just leave switched off Roro!

I recently upgraded my PCM2.1 system to 2016 maps, easy DIY job....

CeJn3rmW0AAAM1E.jpg

There's also a nifty "off" screen button top right of unit so you can listen to the Archers, Roro and have the old fashioned orange screen off all at the same time :D

anotherGT2 said:
Seems like a lot of fuss and effort for something that you can just leave switched off Roro!

I recently upgraded my PCM2.1 system to 2016 maps, easy DIY job....

CeJn3rmW0AAAM1E.jpg

:floor:

Like it!

freddie44 said:
There's also a nifty "off" screen button top right of unit so you can listen to the Archers, Roro and have the old fashioned orange screen off all at the same time :D

Indeed I DO leave it switched off 99% of the time, which is why I don't like it there :grin:

I'm digging Colin's raspberry pi idea....

Short term I'll get that shelf, longer term I'll sort out something useful. The only time I'm likely to want any music / background noise other than the interior drone or engine, is on a long road trip when I'll have my Bose mini with me. Could always throw that in the back and Bluetooth it, sound probably wouldn't even be that bad :bandit: :grin: :grin:

Switching it off is not cool enough. Needs to be gone for ultimate street and track cred.

Colin's onto something there, maybe we could persuade him to have a go at making that gadget, then we can stick it on kick starter and make a million quid..

Gav, your knob needs a clean...those numbers are white in real life.

Double post

Just to update this thread. Few months on, I'm absolutely loving not having that **** PCM in the car. I love the extra space, and the extra focus on driving this simple little mod had given me. Well worth it :thumb:

Certainly better than PCM!

For those wanting to keep music/phone/nav and wanting something better than PCM I'd recommend this, which I have in both the GT3 and my Golf GTI.

Attachments

• img_0171_178.jpg
    img_0171_178.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 4,016
I've got similar model in the pickup. It's very good, satnav isn't bad but smartphone apps like waze are better. Great connectivity though with the USB integration and file menu system which is really very good

Not for my GT3 though... The GT3 is where I go to forget about such distractions :)

Interestingly, I thought lack of ICE would be an issue when carrying a passenger, but it isn't at all. You just end up practicing the ancient art of conversation ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back