Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 ownership thread

sackerley said:
I have just heard from the dealer that the car will be ready for pick up on Saturday! Its currently having a full paint correction, ceramic coating etc following its service and few bits and pieces sorted. :thumbs:

I've got my Insurance sorted with through Classic Line - they gave a far better quote than anyone else.

Now I need to book my train. A 4 hour trip to Oxford... it sounds a drag but... I can't wait for the drive back!

Are you tempted to go down there any spy on it being prepped up ?..I have been very tempted previously :grin:

sackerley said:
I have just heard from the dealer that the car will be ready for pick up on Saturday! Its currently having a full paint correction, ceramic coating etc following its service and few bits and pieces sorted. :thumbs:

I've got my Insurance sorted with through Classic Line - they gave a far better quote than anyone else.

Now I need to book my train. A 4 hour trip to Oxford... it sounds a drag but... I can't wait for the drive back!

Good luck Sat. mate enjoy the drive home make sure we get feedback and pictures :thumb: :grin:

Thanks guys!! I'll make sure to take a load of pics!

Im not sure my smile could get any bigger already!! haha

Its a bit far to go check on the prep otherwise yes id be tempted!! I'm sure it will be spot on though :)

:thumb:
Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Looking forward to your first day feedback. I'm off to test drive one today. Been searching for the ideal one for 2 months so far.

stevepen said:
Looking forward to your first day feedback. I'm off to test drive one today. Been searching for the ideal one for 2 months so far.

Good luck with your viewing today Steve :thumb:

Good luck with your test drive Steve. My first drive will be tomorrow!

Update time!

Well I've not go the car.... Yet anyway. After traveling for over 4 hours to get there the car wasn't quite as expected. But lets start with the positives!

The car looks stunning. Not to many stone chips/marks. Overall great condition. Very nice to drive, amazing sound track! The carbon parts look very nice and really give it an even more upmarket feel (to me at least). The roads around the garage are perfect for this type of car.

So why didn't I bring her home.

- Well firstly the wheels looked great on the outers, the inners not so good. Don't get me wrong they where not terrible just not as good as they should be.

- The back of the seats are in a shocking state. Like the last owner had devil children that scratched them to pieces. I was pretty shocked by how bad they where.

- On the test drive there was a lot of wind noise from the drivers side. On investigation it seems the the door catch wasn't aligned properly follow the sills being resprayed. No way I could have driven it like this for 3 hours on the M1.

- Theres a small amount of 'milking' Not sure of the correct term here. But on the windscreen there is a small white milky patch, not huge and it sounds like theres no fix.

So what now - I can either walk away or the garage has agreed to refurbing the wheels & respraying the seat backs. I have asked if this can be done in silver to match the exterior, which I think would look great. They'll remount the door catch. They can't do anything about the windscreen.

My feeling is to get the work done and wait another 2 weeks. But there is a part of me that wants to walk away. I expected this is down the inconvenience of it all?!

Does anyone have an experience of the milky patch in the window? And can it be treated?

Oh one positive about having to get the train home... I was given a lift to the station in a a stunning 964 RS - my lord it was lovely. Terrible as a daily, heaven for a toy!

Oh no! I feel for you, you must be so disappointed!
I have to ask though - were the seats and wheel innards part of the agreed work that you noted when you first viewed the car? Or didn't you notice them?

The windscreen is de-laminating and the only fix is replacement. If your Insurance covers it, then that would minimise the cost.

Very disappointed! but hey these things happen.

I'd not seen the car in person so I was going on what i was told by the dealer. Which was that the wheels where in great condition, I had requested these to be refurbished if not already at a similar level.

The seats were never mentioned. I was only told that the interior was in great condition. I'd requested images but never received any. But agin was reassured of the condition. They'd gone the effort of respraying the sills for minor scuffs. It seemed at odds to have seats in such a bad condition.

I guess this is the danger of buying cars at a distance and not seeing it for yourself. I would have picked these up on inspection is I saw it for myself. As I'm sure most people would too.

The dealer was very good about it all and theres been no trouble with them at all in getting a resolution.

Thanks for the info on the window - I had feared it would be a replacement job. Any ideas on the rough cost?!

None of the issues are deal-breaker for me (perhaps apart from the windscreen), providing the price is fair.

You said the car drove well and the body condition is good. Presumably it has good history as well? Good ones are getting hard to find now so if you're happy with the works to be carried out by the dealer, I say go for it.

(But only you can decide that :wink: )

Good luck!

Walked away from my viewing as well. Had a test drive and noticed the steering wheel off centre and car pulling to the left. On further inspection at the front the bonnet was brand new (and no options sticker), headlights faded only on drivers side (looked new on passenger side) and the passenger airbag cover not aligned up.

It also had the white windscreen at the bottom of both sides.

I'm happy to wait until my ideal one comes up.

sackerley said:
Update time!

Well I've not go the car.... Yet anyway. After traveling for over 4 hours to get there the car wasn't quite as expected. But lets start with the positives!

The car looks stunning. Not to many stone chips/marks. Overall great condition. Very nice to drive, amazing sound track! The carbon parts look very nice and really give it an even more upmarket feel (to me at least). The roads around the garage are perfect for this type of car.

So why didn't I bring her home.

- Well firstly the wheels looked great on the outers, the inners not so good. Don't get me wrong they where not terrible just not as good as they should be.

- The back of the seats are in a shocking state. Like the last owner had devil children that scratched them to pieces. I was pretty shocked by how bad they where.

- On the test drive there was a lot of wind noise from the drivers side. On investigation it seems the the door catch wasn't aligned properly follow the sills being resprayed. No way I could have driven it like this for 3 hours on the M1.

- Theres a small amount of 'milking' Not sure of the correct term here. But on the windscreen there is a small white milky patch, not huge and it sounds like theres no fix.

So what now - I can either walk away or the garage has agreed to refurbing the wheels & respraying the seat backs. I have asked if this can be done in silver to match the exterior, which I think would look great. They'll remount the door catch. They can't do anything about the windscreen.

My feeling is to get the work done and wait another 2 weeks. But there is a part of me that wants to walk away. I expected this is down the inconvenience of it all?!

Does anyone have an experience of the milky patch in the window? And can it be treated?

Oh one positive about having to get the train home... I was given a lift to the station in a a stunning 964 RS - my lord it was lovely. Terrible as a daily, heaven for a toy!

As has been said, good early cars are hard to find and if the dealer is prepared to do the work to rectify, noting the windscreen may not be possible, you'll have a car that is probably as good as you are going to get but just with a bit of a delay.
It's that or enter the search phase again which will doubtless turn up some of Cindrella's ugly sisters!

Steve - that doesn't sound good. Was the car trade or private sale?

Y2K - I feel the same way. And yes its got a very good history, the ims and major service where done at RPM last November, along with stacks of stamps from main dealer and indy's. I'm getting timescales for the works, fingers crossed it won't be to long.

Endex - Yeah I hear you there. I don't fancy looking for others and this one will be top notch when these bits have been done. I'll have to sort the windscreen later down the line.

sackerley said:
Steve - that doesn't sound good. Was the car trade or private sale?

Y2K - I feel the same way. And yes its got a very good history, the ims and major service where done at RPM last November, along with stacks of stamps from main dealer and indy's. I'm getting timescales for the works, fingers crossed it won't be to long.

Endex - Yeah I hear you there. I don't fancy looking for others and this one will be top notch when these bits have been done. I'll have to sort the windscreen later down the line.

Trade sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back