Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes come on by themselves!

I take it it has nothing to do with a fault in the Adaptive Cruise Control, if you have it, or the brake pretensioner thingy that detects you approaching a vehicle/object at speed and then primes the brakes system in anticipation :dont know:

I've changed two set of underpants with that brake impact warning on my Cayenne until I turned it off in the OBC settings :oops:

Re: Problem solved!

Benjy911 said:
Have just phoned the OPC. It seems that a tech bulletin has come through in the last few days.

If you have the heating on full blast so it gets warm and cosy the bushes on the bar where the pedals are expand and grip the bar so that when you press the brake pedal it does not fully return. This leaves the brakes on, slightly, and also the brake lights. If they stay on for too long, the fluid becomes warmer, expands and then you really would be stuck! What a simple solution.

No recall at the moment, just going to wait for people to complain!

At least it's better built than my first 911 which I bought from Charles Ivey in 1978. I took it to the car wash in Newhaven and it steamed up so I put the blower on to clear the screen. There was an almighty gurgle and the contents of the carwash landed on my feet! Amazingly the car is still on the road and was for sale recently. :grin:

Had exactly the same issue with mine couple months back, needed new disks and pads all round as the constant erractic pressure on and off whilst driving warped my disc's,, !

I'm finding this problem on most 991 & 981's i buy, the problem is the bushes on the brake pedal mechanism
the bushes are £3 each and 50 minutes to fit
basically the bushes stop the brake pedal from returning to its off position
you can put your foot under the brake pedal and lift it back up.
the technicians think there should be a recall but Porsche don't.

the way to check if you have a problem is put the heat up for 20 minutes and then see how the brake pedal behaves
if you brake and the pedal doesn't spring back then the bushes need doing

I had this problem on a 981 Cayman S that I had at the time. Brakes seemed to be partially applied all the time. Car was recovered and fixed by the dealer who said it was the shaft sticking in the bushes as previously described. As the car had covered such a short distance after the problem occurred I didn't think of asking for new pads and discs. The discs showed no signs of overheating. The car covered several thousand miles after the problem had been fixed and gave no trouble thereafter.

mine is now booked into the dealer to have the bush replaced......wil keep you up to date if i get any further issues
been out this weekend (without the heater on) and had no problems at all....pure joy!!!

Brakes sticking on

OK Got the car back now all fixed, new bush fitted happy days!! :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back