Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When it comes to tyres how old is 'Old'?

Whytar

So I'm looking at picking up a set of new tyres on one of the online stores and see that a lot of 'new' tyres are being sold with manufacture dates going back to 2010-11.
Can anyone advise on what is considered to maximum age for a 'new' tyre?

2010/11 :eek:

I'd expect a 'new' tyre to be a year old at most but at the right price, and not for a 911, I might accept a bit older.

Tyres that are over 6 years old are well on the way to turning back into coal. They will be much harder (and therefore less grippy) and prone to cracking. If they've exposed to UV that process starts earlier.

Manufacture dates of 2010-2011 are not "new" tyres, they are old stock, I personally would not fit them on any of my cars, they are well past their sell by date :nooo:

I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be sold once they're 5 years old, or must be sold as NOS.

Adsum said:
how do you know, how old a tyre is?

They have date codes on the side wall, ie 2514, that would've been manufactured in the 25th week of 2014

Adsum said:
how do you know, how old a tyre is?

its dated, I have those part worn, they are ok, but wouldn't trust them over a new tyre, its a false economy really, 20quid for a very old tyre or 55 for brand new. I am surprised its legal really.

Ok thanks, I need to get a new set soon so something to look out for I guess.

age-hero-580-x-330.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back