Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So how would you value this one?

I note this comment female Matty earlier in this thread;" I can stomach a tip but it's ironic that tips, whilst hugely popular during 993 production, now get a bit of a ribbing from the enthusiasts"

Watch history repeat itself with manual gearboxes on 997 and 991...

highway said:
I note this comment female Matty earlier in this thread;" I can stomach a tip but it's ironic that tips, whilst hugely popular during 993 production, now get a bit of a ribbing from the enthusiasts"

Do you reckon as the 997/991 age, people will start to prefer the manual over the PDK? Interesting thought... though there's a big difference - PDK is quicker than the manual, whereas the Tip was always (much) slower. If the PDK is more common, the rarity of manual might come into play. "Classic" drivers of our generation are set in our manual ways (on average, demand shows). But the Playststion Generation when they get to "our" age...won't they think PDK is the "drivers" choice? Good question!

Is it a bit like me being brought up where a car with airbags was one of the big things, and I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with a steering wheel that didn't include one? (Nor could I install an RS wheel without a bag, for the same reason). Talk about gone off on a tangent - SORRY all!

Tobesetc said:
highway said:

Do you reckon as the 997/991 age, people will start to prefer the manual over the PDK? Interesting thought... though there's a big difference - PDK is quicker than the manual, whereas the Tip was always (much) slower. If the PDK is more common, the rarity of manual might come into play. "Classic" drivers of our generation are set in our manual ways (on average, demand shows). But the Playststion Generation when they get to "our" age...won't they think PDK is the "drivers" choice? Good question!

Is it a bit like me being brought up where a car with airbags was one of the big things, and I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with a steering wheel that didn't include one? (Nor could I install an RS wheel without a bag, for the same reason). Talk about gone off on a tangent - SORRY all!

My concern with PDK is that when it breaks in the future, it will be megabucks to put right. Same with the DFI in the Gen 2 cars.

I would argue that point to point from a standing start, a tip will be quicker for most non race-trained drivers.

For me the appeal of a manual is more about involvement, and the satisfaction of getting a gear change just so. Given that I am not a racing driver paid by results, I'd happily sacrifice a few seconds over PDK on my run round the block on a sunday for the extra fun of a manual.

I fully agree about "involvement" of manual v any auto box. I'm 100% in the manual camp. Just playing devils advocate... kids today...will they feel the same?

[Can't see a 993 Tip ever being faster than a manual, no matter how you stack the statement to suit the auto box. Don't think Tips were about speed then, rather convenience (ie "lazy" US market)]

Rather foolishly, I part ex'd an SC for one of the first 928's. A manual obviously. It was, if a I recall, a ZF box with a dog leg first (fine for LHD but not so fine for RHD), the box was horrid and hard work. Subsequently, most 928's were bought with an auto box. Nobody wanted the manual on a 928 then or now if they've got any sense.
I had a 997.2 with a PDK and whilst it was an excellent bit of kit, I did miss the lack of personal input into proceedings. I haven't tried the manual version, but I would be surprised if the manual ever commands a premium over the PDK, especially if its not a particularly slick box.
In this age of equality, girls prefer the PDK! :grin:

The manual sold is vastly fewer numbers than pdk. Rightly or not manual is perceived as the manly choice-clue being in the name. PDK was considered whiz bang on launch but the newer pdk as fitted to 991 is already considered superior to that in 997. Lack of supply alone will see a premium for manual in the future.

The early pdks stand to be perceived like Windows XP is now. Good for its time but ultimate outdated and unloved. Those with longer beards will recall tiptronic being touted as the ultimate in tech upon launch. Apparently the box "learnt your driving style". Many other impressive sound bites were coined and repeated.

It's not desirable now though. Pdk will go the same way-impressive though it is. I've used the 7 speed box on a 991. I didn't think it particularly poor at all. Just took getting used to.

Fact is (imho) NO 911 has a particularly good gear change feel. The change on an early MX5 or current Mini Cooper frankly pisses the change quality on any Porsche I've ever driven.

The manual sold is vastly fewer numbers than pdk. Rightly or not manual is perceived as the manly choice-clue being in the name. PDK was considered whiz bang on launch but the newer pdk as fitted to 991 is already considered superior to that in 997. Lack of supply alone will see a premium for manual in the future.

The early pdks stand to be perceived like Windows XP is now. Good for its time but ultimate outdated and unloved. Those with longer beards will recall tiptronic being touted as the ultimate in tech upon launch. Apparently the box "learnt your driving style". Many other impressive sound bites were coined and repeated.

It's not desirable now though. Pdk will go the same way-impressive though it is. I've used the 7 speed box on a 991. I didn't think it particularly poor at all. Just took getting used to.

Fact is (imho) NO 911 has a particularly good gear change feel. The change on an early MX5 or current Mini Cooper frankly pisses the change quality on any Porsche I've ever driven.

The 915 gearbox had a lot more feel to either 6speeds Ive had in 993's.
The best box by far, for me, was the five speed I had in a C2 964.

AIUI, the new GT3 is to be manual.

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this, but the results of the eBay auction are in. Final bid was £27300 (reserve not met), which I guess was not far removed from figures being discussed on here. I have an offer from elsewhere of £29k, but I'm not sure how serious the buyer is.

I've adjusted the ads online to £35k. I'm really looking for £32k or thereabouts. Will just see what happens. eBay auctions are never great. I routinely have cars fail to sell on there, then go for their proper money on auto trader shortly after. I really just use the auctions to drum up interest.

I had unsavouries from eBay, Orks from Pistonheads, Indians from Autotrader...but the best of the bad bunch were from Car and Classic (or words to that effect).

£29 for cash seems ok, you may get more if you can bear to put up with the public and waste some weekends.

I Have taken a low price for cars from the Plebs because life is too short to put up with their inane questions, idiotic phone calls, paltry offers and bad breath.

Sod it...have it for that.

Take it away and get off the drive.

Haha, yeah I think you may be right. I'm not quite finished yet, but getting close.

I'll probably just leave this thread be now, as everyone is probably quite bored of hearing about it by this stage.

All the best!

:thumb:

Whats the red 911 in your avatar... a previous project of yours? Looks good.

Thanks, yes it was a previous project. It was a 81 SC. bought it locally as a totally standard car is reasonable condition. Always mot'd and well maintained, very solid and good to drive. Paint wasn't great due to age and also having had a poor quality respray a few years ago.

I did a bit of a restomod with it. Essentially, I wanted something that was very clearly a SC, but a bit cleaner looking with a bit of a vintage racer feel.

Stripped it down for respray, ie all doors, trim, bumpers etc, there was just a small bit of rust to one sill, which was easily welded. I then had it painted and put back together, but let of the front splitter, side sill covers (ironically for this thread), rear spoiler, rear fog lights and rear over riders. The fitted wider Fuchs and some other nice wee touches. It looked brilliant in the metal and actually very different from the original, despite all the changes actually being quite small and easily reversed. I also fitted a fabspeed cat bypass and muffler which sounded absolutely awesome.

I sold it to a young guy who was meant to be buying a house, but did the right thing in the end. He also got all the original bits so he could put it back to standard in the future.

The are photos on my Facebook page, but I'm not sure what the rules are here about directling people there. There are photos of my stuff on my Instagram page, which has absolutely no selling information, just photos, so may be permissible?

Trying to upload pic

Attachments

• image_409.jpeg
    image_409.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 8,539
  • image_134.jpeg
    image_134.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 8,539

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members