Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trading up - 997.2 to 991.1

markz86

Monza
After some though i've decided that i will, in the near future be looking for a 991.1. I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon (once we find a suitable house with Double Garage), most likely sound september i think, I cannot make the switch before then as it may well affect our credit rating / mortgage rate, i'm making the move based on the following reasoning:

1. Once we're living together, marriage, home improvements and eventually children will likely eat into any funds that would otherwise go into a new car.
2. I was about to spend £3K on mods, this is nearly a third of the cash element that i would put into the new car, i feel that a new car would give me more benefit.
3. OPC Bristol lent me a T4S a while ago - the car was amazing, drove so much better than my 997, more comfortable, looked better, sounded amazing too with the PSE, overall a much better, if less raw car.
4. Based on the funding solution below, it won't cost me any more money (outgoings/month)

Budget:

1. Sell my current car, should get £33K for it.
2. I will extend / replace my current loan (2 years left @ £350 / month) with a five year deal with the same monthly payment, this will give me circa £11K more.
3. £10K from savings.(could add a little more if needed)
4. Sell mods from my current car (Tubi exhaust, Alcantara dash, Lots of Carbon fibre bits) - £2K

Total = £56K

Spec:

Essential options would be: 20 Inch wheels (which i would paint black), Bose, Nav, Rear parking sensors, heated seats

Desirable: PSE (if i didn't get this i would buy an aftermarket system), Cruise, Auto dimming mirrors.

I'm not too sure on PDK vs manual yet, really liked the PDK T4S i drove, will need to se how the 7 speed M compares before i make up my mind, one nagging thought in my mind is that since i'll likely keep this for a long time, if PDK were to go wrong it would be very expensive to fix where as from a long term perspective a manual if pretty robust.

What do people think? am i being realistic? i realise that i'll be near the lower end of the 991 market and my options will be limited but thats fine, i suppose come September the prices may have dropped slightly and more cars may be available as people start to move into 991.2s

Good move :thumb:

I wouldn't hold your breath about 991.2s causing 991.1 values to fall. I doubt that many will be making that upgrade for a while as the cost to change will be significant and many will prefer to hang on to one of 'the last of the NA 911s'.

Regarding potential long-term PDK issues ..... If you keep the car under OPC warranty for c£1100 a year the 'box and anything else will be covered.

One other feature i would recommend is the Sports Chrono plus package. It is crazy good. and i am sure you might know more as i am just buying my first Porsche. I have gone for the 991.1 4s and absolutely loved it when i did the test drive.
W.r.t prices and being able to achieve the rate you want the car at, it is a matter of wait and see.. currently prices on a 4s are around 45k at OPC and 67-70 private but not many in the used car market.

Also not trying to tell you what to do, maybe think of PCP plan especially if you have your own business as you can use some of the money to build up your business rather than put it in the car..
It depends also i guess if you can make more money than the interest you pay the finance company with the money you would have otherwise put on the car..

You'll never look back :thumbs:

Based on how you have outlined your thinking, I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't make the move at all!

Remember also that you'll also have extra equity in the new car.

Go for it! :thumb:

just moved fromm 997.1 to 991.1

I would go for while you can as circumstances change. Good choice of spec however you may struggle for choice at that budget unless you can haggle with the dealer. I moved from a 04 997.1 to 991.1 C2S this week and love it, although I am ashamed to say I have only managed around 100miles so far due to work commitments. Go for Sport Chrono and PSE as they are epic on the 991.1 :) I have 100miles of grinning like a Cheshire Cat under my belt :D

I had a fab experience with OPC Silverstone so can recommend them if they have anything fitting your wish list, you could always give one of the OPC a call to see if they can find you a suitable car.

Good luck with the search.

£56k will get you into This as it has 51k miles on it :dont know:

I woundn't buy one without Sports Chrono and PSE but they will up the budget.

Having driven a new 991.2 S today with SC and PSE I have to say WOW :worship: It's a different car being 3.0 Turbo with a 'Response' button on the wheel to presumably pre-load the turbos for a fast overtake but if the 991.1 drives anywhere near half as good as this you wont go wrong :thumb:

It's no surprise I'm scanning the classifieds as this is where my future Porsche experience lies :pc:

Zingari said:
£56k will get you into This as it has 51k miles on it :dont know:

I woundn't buy one without Sports Chrono and PSE but they will up the budget.

Having driven a new 991.2 S today with SC and PSE I have to say WOW :worship: It's a different car being 3.0 Turbo with a 'Response' button on the wheel to presumably pre-load the turbos for a fast overtake but if the 991.1 drives anywhere near half as good as this you wont go wrong :thumb:

It's no surprise I'm scanning the classifieds as this is where my future Porsche experience lies :pc:

Good man. Dump the old sculpture and grab a newer weapon. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back