Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

mirror

yev

hi guys. forgive me if it sounds stupid but i am new to al this.
I've just bought 2.7 911s 1975,LHD US import.
just realised that it only comes with 1 side mirror on the driver side, is that normal???
would it pass MOT?

I would just fit a mirror for safeties sake in any case.

One of my 911SC's was a none sport and only had an O/S mirror so I fitted one to the N/S which wasn't much of a job.

quite like to keep it original spec. would it fail mot with 1 mirror only?

iirc pre-78 vehicles have a different set of rules so you might be ok.

For post-78 vehicles you need an offside mirror AND either an interior or a nearside.

I've pm'd a copy of this post to 'JohnnyDangerous'. He's an MOT tester.

thanks. might just pop down to my local mot centre as well.

Yup, 1975 your fine it changed as T8 says in 1978.

JohnnyDangerous said:
Yup, 1975 your fine it changed as T8 says in 1978.
thanks, mate.
also , would i be able to stick old style black-silver plates on it? or would i be better waiting till 1st of april before registering it with DVLA? someone told me that from 1st april 16 all cars made in 1975 will classify as historic cars and will be eligible for free road tax and black plates. does it sounds correct?

As cars become 40 years old you can apply for them to become tax exempt.

I've heard somewhere that after you've applied for that exemption you can also display silver on black plates on these cars.

hi Guys , the car is now finished and will go for MOT next week.
quick Q: i have front indicator lenses orange , do i need to change them for clear ones for MOT or does it not matter for pre 78 cars?

T8 said:

I've heard somewhere that after you've applied for that exemption you can also display silver on black plates on these cars.
can you really do that......love to stick on a nice black plate on the rear

saxon46 said:
T8 said:

can you really do that......love to stick on a nice black plate on the rear

No thats not correct, black and silver has to be pre 73, not 40 years old. My mate runs B&S on all his cars inc 911 never had a problem

This link was posted on DDK in section 0.1 page 16 it suggests pre 1977 cars can display black / silver plates?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...lasses-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

but I think this is the current manual which also says the same?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

Be happy to be corrected because my 1976 was failed last year because of having black / silver plates (the only issue) but when I checked with an MOT Tester forum they said this was incorrect.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back