Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 Boxster Loud noise and engine locked

bradley911

Hi

I have a 2001 986 3.2s.
while driving on the motorway (70mph) car lost drive.Costed to the hard shoulder and arranged to be towed home and traced to a failed clutch and flywheel.
Had the gearbox off and replaced however after rebuilding car started to make a constant loud banging noise this would increase with revs (only went to about 1500 though didnt dare go higher)

Engine has now locked and wont turn over. Anyone ever experienced something similar? any obvious places to check? trying to avoid dropping the engine as currently short of space

any suggestions appreciated

Brad

Can you turn the engine over by hand ? spanner on the crank pulley.

if not that rules out starter fault and means its probably something to do with the timing chain .. and normally that means IMS bearing failure :(

Only other thing i can think of is you changed the clutch .. any chance of a loose bolt or socket left in with the flywheel ? only ask as i have seen this done once before at a .... shall we say .. garage.

thanks for the reply all bolts tight no tools left in only changed the ims bearing 5 months ago will try turning the engine with a spanner tomorrow will let you no
thanks

Just thought id add .. clutch pedal down whilst turning enigine will prove no problem with gearbox .. almost impossible but worth proving and drivebelt off just to make sure no pully problems , again almost impossible but you need to rule everthing out before stripping an engine.

last resort remove the oil filter and check canister for metal , that kinda proves engine failure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back