Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 exhaust valve actuator stuck

kss

Hi all,

While my GT3 was in for a minor service, the OPC called to tell me my drivers side exhaust valve actuator is stuck and a replacement exhaust is £4.5k. To be honest, I hadn't noticed at all and am now considering my options.

I'm sending it to Matt at Fearnsport in a few months for a full Alcon + RS29 brake upgrade & geo/alignment so will get his opinion.

Could this possibly be easily fixed?
Or am I looking at a new exhaust? If so, I am think Akrapovic Evo... would love hear any owners opinions.

Hmm, so a new valve assembly or even actuator/vacuum hat won't solve it :?:

The problem is OPCs only have so many TSB (technical service bulletins), and most modern ones define the solution as per most gas boiler engineers: plug and play replacements.

Nothing is actually repaired these days.

I had some corroded bolts on my 996 SportDesign alloys.

OPC solution: "New alloys!"

Real life solution: Exel Wheels refurbed with new bolts (the main problem being OPC have no facilities to rebuild split-rims with the correct torqueing process)

Get it repaired by a decent indy.

i'm not sure if the PSE on a GT3 is different from a C2/C4S

But i've had actuators changed on 997's before and from memory the actuator is about £48

they tend to seize and can be freed up with some TLC and lubrication

Might be worth a chat with sid at Porsche torque as he's freed up a few

My 997.1 GT3 was stuck on the loud setting for most of last year; the novelty wore off fairly quickly. I guessed that an actuator would fix it and took it to Porsche. It wasn't the £30 Peugeot actuator part off eBay but required a new exhaust silencer system; must have been at least £3k plus labour!! Thankfully, car is under Porsche warranty.

kss said:
Hi all,

While my GT3 was in for a minor service, the OPC called to tell me my drivers side exhaust valve actuator is stuck and a replacement exhaust is £4.5k. To be honest, I hadn't noticed at all and am now considering my options.

I'm sending it to Matt at Fearnsport in a few months for a full Alcon + RS29 brake upgrade & geo/alignment so will get his opinion.

Could this possibly be easily fixed?
Or am I looking at a new exhaust? If so, I am think Akrapovic Evo... would love hear any owners opinions.

New exhaust? :floor:

OPCs really crack me up with the way they try it on. I had the same problem on my 997.2 GT3 & Matt sorted it very easily & cheaply.

NXI20 said:
New exhaust? :floor:

OPCs really crack me up with the way they try it on. I had the same problem on my 997.2 GT3 & Matt sorted it very easily & cheaply.

The n/s baffler on my PSE system had an internal issue, OPC replaced it under warranty, but they certainly didnt replace the whole system :eek:

As somebody already mentioned, people have posted that Porsche Torque have freed them up in the past, I'm sure Fearnsport would have a crack at doing the same :thumb:

Thanks for the replies, very very helpful!

Nice to know that Matt has already fixed NXI20's so I will ask him to sort it when its in for the other work.

As much as I like the look of an akra I don't feel the car needs any modifications to the exhaust. Think it sounds just right with the flaps open.

Cheers guys :thumb:

Wd40, its about £1.50 from Halfords. If the car sits around for a while this is pretty normal stuff. If the actuator is corroded or something then its feasible it would need replacing. 4.5k....must be slow month in the service dept.

If Matt fixes it then you really should go back there, take the police with and have them arrested for attempted robbery.

:floor:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i have a feeling they might be talking about the flap inside the exhaust that the valve operates.

If wd40 and a hammer dont fix it then its a new exhaust silencer ...
if they ARE talking about the diaphram valve then i think you just got the apprentise working on your car .. sigh.

Not for your car but the picture shows the valve assembly ..

http://www.rstube.co.uk/exhaust.php?idproduit=199

Demort said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i have a feeling they might be talking about the flap inside the exhaust that the valve operates.

If wd40 and a hammer dont fix it then its a new exhaust silencer ...
if they ARE talking about the diaphram valve then i think you just got the apprentise working on your car .. sigh.

Not for your car but the picture shows the valve assembly ..

http://www.rstube.co.uk/exhaust.php?idproduit=199

I fear it may be the former.

They did mention they'd spray some lubricant on it and see if it fixes it but I'm not holding out any hope.

I'll get some more info from them when I pick the car up. Looks like I may have to start looking at some exhaust options but I'll have an indy look at it first.

Demort said:
For 4.5 k they must be talking about both silencers but if only one isnt working i wonder why quote for both.

If warrenty isnt an issue there are plenty of very good aftermarket exhausts out there and i feel your money would be better spent in that area :)

How about something like this ....
http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/396050-997-gt3-gt3rs-exhaust-products.html

Just to get you interested !

I did wonder that too. I think I asked 'how much for a new exhaust' rather than what I should've asked; 'how much for a new muffler'.

Decided not to go with warranty as I didn't feel it was worth it and I wanted to do some upgrades to the car. Looking forward to doing a few mods like brakes, diff, tyres and now maybe an exhaust.

Thanks for link. I had never heard of fabspeed before but I am new to the Porsche world. Their muffler bypass pipes look very interesting and can be configured with valves . Much cheaper too!

Cheers.

Don' know if they are the same but on my 996 one side was stuck and it was the knuckle joint on the actuating rod. Forced it off, cleaned up and replaced after some VHT grease. No cost!

kss said:
Demort said:
For 4.5 k they must be talking about both silencers but if only one isnt working i wonder why quote for both.

If warrenty isnt an issue there are plenty of very good aftermarket exhausts out there and i feel your money would be better spent in that area :)

How about something like this ....
http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/396050-997-gt3-gt3rs-exhaust-products.html

Just to get you interested !

I did wonder that too. I think I asked 'how much for a new exhaust' rather than what I should've asked; 'how much for a new muffler'.

Decided not to go with warranty as I didn't feel it was worth it and I wanted to do some upgrades to the car. Looking forward to doing a few mods like brakes, diff, tyres and now maybe an exhaust.

Thanks for link. I had never heard of fabspeed before but I am new to the Porsche world. Their muffler bypass pipes look very interesting and can be configured with valves . Much cheaper too!

Cheers.

Same thought process for me, my 997.2 was under warranty but I already had couple of mods and knew I'd want a couple more.

At the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, Shark Werks have a formidable stable of products for Porsche, but can be pricey as they design/make in California and export. Nearer to home there's Carnewal (bought their PSE Manual Control recently) and nearer still there's Hayward & Scott. Very helpful people, they're fitting their centre silencer replacement pipes to my car this Friday. They do an equivalent product for 997 GT3 which is also similar to the Shark Werks product, but cheaper as they design/build here in UK.

Better PSE control and replacing the rear silencer will be good Im sure, but some after-market systems are much lighter than the stock system, which can't be bad, especially on a GT3.

Little bit of an update...

Went to Ken at Nine Excellence yestarday for a fast road geo setup and the car now drives a lot better.

They had a look at the exhaust too and it's just a faulty actuator which can be fixed for a very reasonable price so it'll be going back to them very soon :)

Very impressed with Nine Excellence overall.

On another note, my brakes need replacing and alcon discs + rs29 pads seem to be the general recommendation. However Ken is a supplier for Girodisc and they are a similar price to alcons so it's got me thinking. Does anyone any experience with girodiscs or any views re: girodiscs vs alcons ?

Cheers!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back