Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2016 Porsche 911 Carrera S, real-world drive review

Good video. :thumb:

Consistent with other real-world test reports on this Forum .... small incremental improvements, cutting edge engine technology, but some of the soul of the NA 991.1 lost in the overall package.

lostprophet said:
looks like the 991.1 is the way forward. Prices will hold for a bit longer!

Had my 991.1 out for a work-out today and was quickly reminded why the NA is such a potent package. :lol:

No wonder second-hand values remain so robust.

DRZ911 said:
lostprophet said:
looks like the 991.1 is the way forward. Prices will hold for a bit longer!

Had my 991.1 out for a work-out today and was quickly reminded why the NA is such a potent package. :lol:

No wonder second-hand values remain so robust.

Right you are... and there doesn't seem to be much 991.1 stock about for people looking for a good S model cars.

Hi all,

I have to admit I don't really share his views having driven both..now don't shoot me down. :D

I found the new car much more immediate in response than he suggests. He implies that you are waiting around for the turbos to wake up and then you are off but thats not what i found. From any revs, foot down and immediate torque, you're gone...lets not forget that whilst the GTS has similar power, its down on torque and that doesn't peak until 5000+ rpm. At lower rpm the GTS needs time for the revs to build or you have to drop a couple of cogs to up the revs..and then it starts to perform. The new engine is much more flexible and as it'll be my daily drive, no doubt easier to live with.

I'll give you that the sound isn't quite as great at higher revs, but it still pops and bangs etc and thats fine for me.
The interior is nicer, especially the steering wheel which I found to be too large in the GTS..

Im coming at this from a 400+ bhp/ton Caterham 7, which is just rev mad ballistic this side of 100mph..the GTS was a bit of a let down compared to that. The new car isn't..which probably means I should have gone and bought a Turbo anyway!

Had I not been messed about with my GTS order last year, I would have the GTS on the drive and be happy, but as I ended up with nothing I thought id wait to drive the new car....and as such just ordered a 991.2 C2S PDK with rear steer etc..

Either way they are fantastic and thats the important bit :D

cheers
Andy

I understood it as he was happy with the car but wasn't thrilled by it. The £99,000.00 just didn't give him personally the wow factor he was expecting.

I don't know what to make of the new 911, after all they only changed it to meet new eu directives, not by natural progression or choice.
Could I justify spending £99,000 on a 991.2S, or option B, would I buy a 997.2 GTS plus a gen2 Cabriolet for £99,000. Option B.

£200+ to have the key painted :floor: taking the ****

I drove the new Carrera S with rear wheel steering around the Silverstone PEC only last week and must say it was a great drive.Really planted on the road and the pick up was almost instantaneous from the turbo's.Rear Wheel steering still not sure on though.Much more power than my C4S 991 but does not have the kick down or the magic noise even with PSE.The new sat nav with google imaging is now up to date finally but only if you have a apple phone waiting for the android update.
But to be honest apart from a few new bits really could not see the difference between the two OK wasn't looking to hard,but told they made over 1000 improvements over the 991.1.
They must go down this route but maybe lost a bit of sole along way ..... so maybe the N/A 991.1 will be a future classic of the modern age.

Really liked the video but for me the 991.1 is the last 'new' 911 I will buy. Feel a bit sad to be honest............ :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back