Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 1 V Gen 2 Test drive

bg259

Trainee
I had the fortune of testing a 991.2 yesterday thanks to Porsche Hatfield. I thought I would share my findings with you. As a facelift vehicle. Brilliant. The doors shut more quietly. The suspension is more supple, especially with sports dampers on, the gear changes are quicker, the PCM is another step up. The steering wheel is lovely, the exterior design changes are good especially the LED ring headlights BUT and its a big but.. The turbo engine is heavily detuned to stop it competing with the 911 turbo (once the tuners chip the new engine, I think it will be very good), the sound is really bad compared to a Gen 1 car and the over riding feeling of power later in the rev range is lost in the new car. It makes all sorts of whooshing noises which are nice. But the aural sound track has been lost. To my mind the last GTS cars are going to become classics. The GTS kicks out 430horses which is near enough the same power as the new 991.2. Cost to change for me for exactly the same car but brand new is £35k ! If anyone is contemplating a new model. I would go with a last of the line GTS or a 991.1 turbo. The turbo loses the sound track but makes up for it with its sheer acceleration which is mind boggling. As a technical master piece the 991.2 is brilliant. Would I change from 991.1. No chance. I think many of us will wait for the 992 before changing. They will increase the noise and power with this engine set up by then by adding hybrid power etc. Then it will start to make sense. In the meantime, enjoy your naturally aspirated beast as I intend to ! Next 993 style classic in the making ! Marks my words. Especially in GTS form. Tell me I'm wrong ?[/quote]

+1 :thumb:

A few weeks back, posted my thoughts on a loan 991.2 that I had for a weekend.

Very similar conclusions :-

1. Interior - slightly better
2. Exterior - slightly different (didn't actually like the new door handles, as the driver's one split in half)
3. Noise - even with the PSE, the car has been muzzled
4. Engine - very linear, very pushy from low rpm to a point where it is actually just too much and becomes annoying

Think my cost to change was about £35K. So all things considered, as I already have a 991.1, best to wait for the 992 and give the 991.2 a miss.

For those who have never had a 991.1, then it would be interesting to see the comparison between say a 997.2 and a 991.2. :?:

Thanks for the write up. Such 'real world' comparisons always make interesting reading.

Re:

bg259 said:
BUT and its a big but.. The turbo engine is heavily detuned to stop it competing with the 911 turbo (once the tuners chip the new engine, I think it will be very good)

I think the tuners will need to do a bit more than some chipping if owners are looking for 991 Turbo power. To get the extra 170 bhp Porsche needed a different engine and different Turbos. :grin:

The Carrera might have turbos but there's still only one '911 Turbo'.

For me, a massive part of the experience of cars is the aural element. Lack of engine/induction/exhaust sound essentially takes 50% of it away in my opinion. I honestly don't think the 991.2 versions will regain this even with aftermarket exhausts (although I'd love to be surprised about this).

When I test drove my Panamera turbo, I was blown away by the performance but the sound was awful even with the PSE. The only reason I ended up buying it was I had heard one with a Miltek sports exhaust on. That was the first thing I did to it and it then sounded like a proper V8 (the sound is sublime actually and you now can't tell its a twin turbo - while still retaining the full functionality of the exhaust flap switch button in the cabin). I doubt the 3.0Ltr engine has a decent base sound to amplify though to be honest. We shall see.

Hence why I went with a 991.1 C4S.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back