Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 1988 944 Turbo S

Red is v nice against the black and silver

Cool 8)

There's a story to that actually.

When I did the filming at Donington Historic Loop last October I needed a set of "sensible" tyres as my RSR-595s aren't great in the cold/damp and less than ideal in the wet. I was going to get some AD08Rs but then the Avons popped up locally on another set of twists for a favourable price so I bought them, had them refurbed black and off I went.

My RSRs are 225F and 255R and the cups I have on my ClubSport wheels are 225F and 245R, these as you can see are 205F and 255R on 7J and 8.5J wheels. At Donington I did find that the car wanted to push into understeer more (I have an LSD too though) and that the rear end needed a little encouragement to kick out - however . . . I genuinely think that in less than ideal conditions this would be a "safer" setup. I've not done an actual Trackday on the Avons as the Historic Loop is more "Private Road."

I do have a Trackday at Teesside next Monday that I'm using as a pre-season shakedown to dial a few things in so may well use the Avons if the weather stays miserable. The likelihood is that once my RSRs wear down a bit more I'll swap them for AD08Rs or possibly NS2-Rs and sell the wheels and Avons. I'll go back to 225/255 as both those tyre choices perform better in the wet than the RSRs.

Dear Mr Chapman,

I am pleased to confirm that you have gained a credit pass in your Porsche 944 turbo tyre paper.

I trust this achievement will allow you to continue with your academic studies.

Congratulations from the board of examiners. :floor:

Hopefully you can print that certificate off. :lol:

I'm still learning and I was wondering what to go for myself, I will up to 16" wheels and was curious what tyre size's to go for, 225 and 255 was what I'd read but unsure of profiles.

I'd recommend 17s - the tyre choice is far wider and much cheaper. You can probably get s a set of 17" wheels and tyres from eBay for less than the cost of 16" tyres!

Depends what wheel sizes you have too of course. I have 225/45/17 on the front (usually) and 255/40/17 on the rear.

If you've got 7J and 8J 16" wheels currently then go for 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear - those are the correct sizes for a 944. The late Turbo is the only model with recommended 225F/245R

If you're on 7J 15s then you want 215/60/15.

Picked the wing mirrors up from Garry on Friday - should hopefully get the bonnet back next week but Steve's 964 was hogging the paint booth!

They've been taken back to bare metal before being prepped and painted properly - far better than the blow-over they'd received in the past.

Got them on and took the car for a spin to check the brakes worked ok and everything else was sorted after resealing the throttle body. I got about half a mile from home, opened the taps and blew a hose off!

Hazards on, pulled over, fastened up the one jubilee clip I'd missed and 2 mins later I was Boooosting up the A1 at 69.9mph-ish.

Hi David,

Your car looks stunning again! Well done, easy to miss a jubilee, lucky for you it wasn't when you were doing 69.8mph in the outside lane of the A1!

Cheers, Keith

Eldavo said:
should hopefully get the bonnet back next week but Steve's 964 was hogging the paint booth!

And about time too 8) Makes a change from Ian hogging it.

Nice thread by the way, I'm enjoying it. :thumb:

And because all of you are still faffing about I can't get in with mine!

Brake callipers look fantastic BTW. Are these guys local? My rears are shot and need some work to clean up the plate lift.

Custom Calipers - one man company down in Derby - they're really very good and for less that it would take to DIY.

Had the car out today, swapped the wheels over for the ones with Federal RSR tyres on and it's all ready for a shakedown around Teesside circuit tomorrow.

Many things have changed.

Full glass out restoration, a hella lotta welding and two new wings. A stand-alone ECU, a failed turbo, a damaged engine, a hybrid turbo, a rebuilt engine, complete piston failure, a currently ongoing second engine rebuild and a potential lawsuit :eh!:

Put my new steering wheel on today though so all is good in the world :thumb:

Attachments

• 50fefe5e_9ae0_43ad_bfd7_871a13a7e31d_148.jpeg
    50fefe5e_9ae0_43ad_bfd7_871a13a7e31d_148.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 4,189
And the reason why the gearstick currently sits low:

Attachments

• 3df4f52c_c165_4e63_a91e_8dccf494f942_194.jpeg
    3df4f52c_c165_4e63_a91e_8dccf494f942_194.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 4,186

New Threads

Forum statistics