Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dual outlet exhaust - manifold reverse or 'headers' ?

snb993

Hi All

Having had our 964 C4 for 5 years now, it is fair to say that it is a keeper (mind you, we've also had the 996T for 10 years so it has some catching up to do!)

Last year, it had a 993 C4 gearbox/front diff conversion along with a few other bits (Wayne remap, Bilsteins, RSSK etc) which has transformed the performance, handling and ride

While the engine fan is away at the moment to be painted and the housing vapour blasted, as soon as it's back, I want to get on with the exhaust system as it has always seemed odd to me that it only has a single outlet

From researching this, it seems that either a Dansk or a bespoke system will be most likely. At the moment, it is standard apart from a gutted cat. As she uses it as her daily from April to September, it will need to stay at similar sound levels otherwise... well it won't be as well received as I would like ! I think the sound I am after is similar to the Carnewal RSR's (version 1) that I had on my 993 way back then...

I understand that some have had their exhaust manifolds 'reversed' (only on one side) so that they are more like the 993 in that they both exit in the same direction as part of the process and am thinking of doing the same - as much as a 'nod' towards keeping it subtle. It would then have the system designed onwards from that point to exit via the new NSR quarter valence/bumper that I have ready

Can I ask if anyone here has done this please and has any recommendations? Is it worth the effort?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hmmm, tricky one this...
Porsche spent a whole lot of time and money trying to create an exhaust that has little to no drone. I'm on my fifth incarnation of exhaust design and although the sound it what I was after more than anything, I still get some drone. In truth I don't think you would find a aftermarket system that doesn't suffer and therefore not sure that the better half would appreciate it!
I love my final version (Created by the guru that is Turbo Thomas). But would I like to use it as a daily, Hell yes!! The current Mrs Chief though, not so sure :?:

993 Headers with the collars turned make a difference to power but only if the engine is really modified. I short, there are better ways to spend money on the better half :wink:

If you are still keen, give Richie a call 07817 602239 (Turbo Thomas).
Tell him Chief sent you! He can advise something that might keep you both happy...

Hi Chief
many thanks and that's great - I have now just spoken to Richie and he is going to put some ideas together overnight and then we can chat again tomorrow :thumbs:

Will be great to have this sorted :)

Cheers

Hi Chief
as a quick update on this, I have spoken to Richie and agreed that he is going to build a new 'system' incorporating a cat bypass (rather than the gutted cat that it has been running) plus a single in / dual outlet box . Sound is expected to be only slightly higher in volume but not 'bassy' like when it had a G-pipe on it

We are going to wait until after Dinslaken so hope to have it fitted mid-May so will be able to report back then

many thanks for the contact which is much appreciated

:thumb:

I'm very interested to hear the outcome of this! I have been thinking of getting a Turbo Thomas system made up after hearing Chiefs!

I've got a Fabspeed one in two out at the minute and it's too loud, I use the car daily when I'm off and although I love the sound it can be too much for daily use with a decat.

Are you getting manifolds as well? Or just the decat and final box?

Hi
We went through several options over the phone including his 'full race' system (equal length manifolds / noisy system) and also the possibility of a '993 style' exhaust (reversing one of the manifolds so that they both exited in the same direction plus a small exhaust box under each rear wing linked by a X-pipe) which was what I originally had in mind.

As it a daily driver for part of the year, I was after a cosmetic upgrade rather than power and the sound is very important.

This '993-style' option seems to still have the same compromise of unequal length headers that the 964 manifolds have and while he was interested in working on a bespoke system for this design, I understand there would be little or no gain in power compared with his cat bypass and single in/dual out sports system so it seems a lot more work (and a bit more money) for limited upside IMHO, it would have looked a little more 'factory' which I like the idea of but...

HTH and I will definitely post up once it's done 8)

Yes, I guess mine is not for the faint hearted!
Turbo can pretty much make anything you want. I wouldn't recommend anyone I wasn't 100% behind. I am please to call Richie a friend and will be throwing the Baron back at him in a week or three for the heater boxes to be put on (getting old, need warmth these days :grin: )
There are not many peeps about nowadays that can build systems like he does. You really are not buying just an exhaust, more some art that makes a racket :puh:

Chief said:
Yes, I guess mine is not for the faint hearted!
Turbo can pretty much make anything you want. I wouldn't recommend anyone I wasn't 100% behind. I am please to call Richie a friend and will be throwing the Baron back at him in a week or three for the heater boxes to be put on (getting old, need warmth these days :grin: )
There are not many peeps about nowadays that can build systems like he does. You really are not buying just an exhaust, more some art that makes a racket :puh:

:lol: That's brilliant
I think yours is absolutely spot on but sadly have to be a bit conservative with the 964 as whilst it's technically hers and I have 'free range to do whatever I like' with it, it has its dangers if I get it 'wrong'! a bit risky as I won't know it's 'wrong' until after the fact :grin:

So far, I have got away with changing the wheels, suspension, gear box, steering wheel, seats. Next up is headlights and exhaust :bandit:

This is the kind of work to expect...

And him at work...

I hope he makes you something lovely :puh:
Ooh just found this one. Shows a aftermarket system and Turbo's creation. Can you guess which is which :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back