Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS data collection update - 132 cars (Page 3)

JM24,
I think there may be some confusion over 'bi-annual'.

Bi-annual = Occuring twice in a year, I believe you are referring to servicing every 2 years/20,000m having an impact on IMSB longevity.

911munKy said:
JM24,
I think there may be some confusion over 'bi-annual'.

Bi-annual = Occuring twice in a year, I believe you are referring to servicing every 2 years/20,000m having an impact on IMSB longevity.

Thanks 911Munky, technically that's right, although it is often used both ways.. not helpful though so will avoid it for service interval related discussions!

Data collected so far for 77 cars (25th June 2015).

Here's a couple of bar charts showing which engines and models have sustained a failure:

Total number of failures - 7.8% (Not including the LN as a original failure)
of which 3.4 - 0% and 3.6 - 10.9%
of which all X51 - 0%, C2 - 10.5% and C4S - 12.9%

failure%20distribution150625_zpsgbefysin.jpg

Last reported failure was July 2014 (not including the LN failure).

failure%20graph_zpsdedfzj4d.jpg
[/quote]

Data collected so far for 87 cars (9th October 2015).

Here's a couple of bar charts showing which engines and models have sustained a failure:

Total number of failures - 6.9% (Not including the LN as an original failure)
of which 3.4 - 0% and 3.6 - 9.4%
of which all X51 - 0%, C2 - 9.5% and C4S - 11.1%

failure%20distribution151009_zpsabfokwst.jpg

Last reported failure was July 2014 (not including the LN failure).

It would be interesting to invite Boxster/Cayman owners to contribute too- presumably they share the same IMS bearing.

Are we brave enough to start a Bore Scoring survey for Alex to run his spreadsheet magic?

We could update our original posts with bore scoring yes/no.

I was planning on doing a bore score thread but think that should be kept separate. Only thing not motivating me to do it is the fact I don't have a 3.6 :wink:

12 Month Review

Data collected so far for 92 cars (8th March 2016).

Total number of failures - 6.52% (Not including the LN as an original failure)
of which 3.4 - 0% and 3.6 - 9.1%
of which all X51 & C4 - 0%, C2 - 9.1% and C4S - 11.1%

failure%20distribution1610308jpg_zpsd82nafi0.jpg

Last reported failure on a 996 was July 2014 (not including the LN failure).

I'd love to see the correlation between 'failures' and 'first time posters' on 911uk as well. Could be my imagination but it often seems to be someone who never posted before or who posted minimally who suddenly pops up on a Porsche forum with IMS issues. And then quietly vanishes a short while thereafter. Along with their car, their story, the outcome etc.

Engine failure

My 2002 Targa had a new engine from Porsche in late 2011, reason was cracked cylinder #6

54k miles at the time

It also looks like the later the car, the more it fails. Could this be something to do with the 2 year service intervals being brought in?.

Yes, I stated that a while back. Long time is 2 years and 24000 miles for a car running on the oil it came off the production line with, especially when it's being run in.

Just another thing worth noting. In the 2 years I've been a member of this site, I've only ever witnessed the posting of one IMS bearing failure.......on a 997 :?:

Are we still waiting for the diagnosis on this one?
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=110239

You're doing a great job of giving people "real world" facts about the IMS issue that if you were to believe the interwebs, you'd think every single one failed! I'm sure there's lots of people that appreciate it as much as me :)

But, of course, we all know that it's bore scoring that affects all the 3.6 engine ever made!! :evil:
(maybe..) :grin:

Thank you kind sir :cap:

alex yates said:
Just another thing worth noting. In the 2 years I've been a member of this site, I've only ever witnessed the posting of one IMS bearing failure.......on a 997 :?:

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall a few (generally newbies who then disappear) posting IMS failures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back