Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

dash cams

stucart

In the market for a cam that will do front and rear, looked at Halfrauds but the only ones that do F&R get rubbish reviews, looked on Amazon but a lot seem to be sellers in China, same on Fleabay!

Is it better to have a separate rear cam or one with 2 lens at front??
Some seem to have No screen which makes them smaller but difficult to set up, seems like a minefield!!!! Like the idea of smaller though.

Anyone got one they would recommend that is reliable and trouble free???

I have a couple of these front and rear, very discreet, mounted using a shoe with rear view mirror tape top left of rear screen and behind the mirror in front. On Dash Camera Amacam AM-M80 Miniature 1080P Dash Cam from Amazon. Powered by switched ignition, just fit and forget.

I fit hundreds of the Novus cameras. Very reliable and quite discrete.
TFL and Insurance approved, you may even get a discount on your Insurance.

Generally I don't see much value in the camera at the rear.
Internal cameras are ok if you want to check on the driver if it's not you, e.g. An employee or a younger driver. I worry it might catch you doing something behind the wheel that may prove you weren't paying attention at the appropriate time. Also I generally turn the sound recording off on my vehicles, as I don't need the argument that I was on hands free at the time so it must me my fault.
You really don't need a screen to set them up as they are such a wide angle. Point them down slightly to reduce the effects of low sun.

They definitely aren't fit and forget. I'd suggest a minimum of quarterly checks. A camera that has a fault you're unaware of is a waste of money.

I've been very pleased with the Mobius cameras that I fitted front and rear to both my 964 and the daily driver. Very well reviewed and reasonably priced. I bought from carcamerashop.co.uk (no connection with the company) - extensive range of cameras, independent advice, excellent service.

Been looking at a Blackvue front and rear set up, look nice and small, anyone got one? Blackvue DR650GW HD
They seem bit pricey but do you get what you pay for???

Total waste of time unless you like to incriminate yourself, let the Insurance wriggle out of a situation and the police prosecute YOU!.
One day these things will be compulsory just so big brother can get more out of us and pay less out themselves.
Anyone getting one hoping to 'protect' themselves please think of those moments you do just one slight thing wrong, it is recorded and will be used against you :?
And before i get bombarded with, 'they are good and help road safety' bla bla bla, yes they do have a place and do a good job in some situations, BUT unless you drive like an undertaker balancing a glass of water on your head tread carefully :thumb:

stucart said:
Been looking at a Blackvue front and rear set up, look nice and small, anyone got one? Blackvue DR650GW HD
They seem bit pricey but do you get what you pay for???

I have an earlier Blackvue model fitted (can't remember the model number unfortunately :dont know: ) and it does the job very well. My thoughts:

1. It's a nice size and sits neatly on the windscreen in front of the rear view mirror and cannot be seen by the driver. It has a GPS strength indicator and a flashing light when recording which can be a distraction.

2. It is relatively easy to set up and can be hard wired (through the fuse box in my case) as well as wired through a module that stops the camera potentially draining the battery if the car is left parked up for extended periods.

3. It automatically goes into parking mode once the car is turned off but is motion activated and will record anyone/anything that comes into close proximity to the car.

4. It records on to Micro SD which is easy to remove and footage viewed through software on your computer.

I purchased mine from HIDS4U and it has worked reliably for the last 3 years.

Hopefully of use.

Attachments

• 2015_08_29_163126a_481.jpg
    2015_08_29_163126a_481.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 10,196
diverzeusy said:
Total waste of time unless you like to incriminate yourself, let the Insurance wriggle out of a situation and the police prosecute YOU!.
One day these things will be compulsory just so big brother can get more out of us and pay less out themselves.
Anyone getting one hoping to 'protect' themselves please think of those moments you do just one slight thing wrong, it is recorded and will be used against you :?
And before i get bombarded with, 'they are good and help road safety' bla bla bla, yes they do have a place and do a good job in some situations, BUT unless you drive like an undertaker balancing a glass of water on your head tread carefully :thumb:

Had one fitted to my motorbike a few years back and got taken out by a fellow biker who watched me being resuscitated at the side of the road and then proceeded to produce the biggest ***** and bull story to the Police at the scene effectively blaming me for the accident. What was my take on it? Nowt. Woke up in ICU after being in a coma with no memory of the accident or anything else a couple of days before it.

Police had him by the short and curlies when they played back the video of the accident to him. He was done and his Insurance company were on the back foot throughout.

Total waste of time? :?: Don't agree but admit they can be a double edged weapon if you're not careful.

Yeah FRZ 911,
that's exactly my point 'the double edged sword' bit.
if using one drive like the pope 'n' you will be fine :thumb:

diverzeusy said:

My wife was very nearly hit by a car that jumped a red light recently, the screen cam would have been very useful if a collision had occured. If you think the camera would work against you in any incident then 'lose' the memory card.

diverzeusy said:
Yeah FRZ 911,

This.

Fairly standard practice to impound camera footage and examine mobile phone info post accident.

Whilst there may be some perceived benefit, the downsides are obvious to those who 'enjoy' their cars.

diverzeusy said:
Yeah FRZ 911,

As in - hands off the steering wheel and waving to all around him rather than watching the road? :hand:

Joking aside, my situation was pretty extreme but the video was the only proof I had/still have of what really occurred. If, you're going to 'enjoy' the car (as Chris puts it) then a press of the video off button sorts the problem. When you're not 'enjoying' it - turn it back on. :thumb:

Attachments

• popemobile_e1442943985767_122.jpg
    popemobile_e1442943985767_122.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 10,077
Thanks guys , still not pulled the trigger on one but the Blackvue does appeal because of its size just need price to come down somewhere.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back