Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 33
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Palladium
Indianapolis


Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Posts: 2496



PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: cat c 964 Reply with quote

ebay 964 cat c. was 24995 for a while down 2k now. Would you buy a cat c?

I looked at one a couple of weeks ago, it had been sorted pretty well, but I noticed fibre glass panels, which put me off.

what would people on here expect to pay for the one like on ebay?

I am in the market for a 964 but just waiting and looking, trouble is, its all I seem to do, lol.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MarkGolf
Hockenheim


Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 743
Location: S.London


PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been against cat cars but if I were to buy a car that would be a keeper or something I would run into the ground, I'd consider a cat car if everything was properly done.

I've seen the advert for the eBay one, looks like a decent enough car. I would go and inspect it and have it up on a ramp if I were looking. Price seems ok if perfectly repaired tbh.
_________________
Current fleet
1991 964 Carrera
2005 997 Carrera S
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1994 Eunos Roadster S Special Turbo 270bhp!
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rsdub
Silverstone


Joined: 09 Aug 2014
Posts: 121



PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car was cat c recently then i would have a worry.If i am not mistaken the damage has to be 50 percent or more to right the car off so with todays values its going to take a bit of a serious whack before it becomes a cat car.On another note i have a ford racing puma that is a cat d and was written off for no other reason than the new panel it needed is unavailable new.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
andyp
Monza


Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Posts: 161
Location: Nottingham

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsdub wrote:
If the car was cat c recently then i would have a worry.If i am not mistaken the damage has to be 50 percent or more to right the car off so with todays values its going to take a bit of a serious whack before it becomes a cat car.On another note i have a ford racing puma that is a cat d and was written off for no other reason than the new panel it needed is unavailable new.


I'm also in the market for a 964 at "entry-level" pricing.

I don't know if this was the car you guys were talking about?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361500932929?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I see it was written off in 2001. Does anyone know what the market value would have been back then?

I seem to recall looking to buy a C2 for around £16k in 2004, so maybe a repair bill of £10k would have written off a car in 2001?

Has anyone on here been to look at this car

Andy
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Palladium
Indianapolis


Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Posts: 2496



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyp wrote:
rsdub wrote:
If the car was cat c recently then i would have a worry.If i am not mistaken the damage has to be 50 percent or more to right the car off so with todays values its going to take a bit of a serious whack before it becomes a cat car.On another note i have a ford racing puma that is a cat d and was written off for no other reason than the new panel it needed is unavailable new.


I'm also in the market for a 964 at "entry-level" pricing.

I don't know if this was the car you guys were talking about?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361500932929?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I see it was written off in 2001. Does anyone know what the market value would have been back then?

I seem to recall looking to buy a C2 for around £16k in 2004, so maybe a repair bill of £10k would have written off a car in 2001?

Has anyone on here been to look at this car

Andy




yeh that was it, its still around, I dident view it, but it looks ok on pics, its a lot of bread to shell out for a tainted car I suppose, I made my mind up, no category cars for me, that doesn't mean its not a winner.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ultegra
Monza


Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 201
Location: Chandler's Ford, Hampshire


PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunroof and doom blue will be putting a lot of people off more than the Cat C.
_________________
ex - 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Whytar
Hockenheim


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 661
Location: Sydney Downunder


PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally never buy a crashed or damaged car period. Sure the cosmetic stuff can be repaired but you just never know what other unseen damage has been done?
_________________
2010 997.2 4S with the flappy paddles
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Dream911
Indianapolis


Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 2433
Location: London


PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whytar wrote:
I would personally never buy a crashed or damaged car period. Sure the cosmetic stuff can be repaired but you just never know what other unseen damage has been done?


There can be good Cat cars out there and a little damaged doesn`t really bother me but I would like to see how bad it was to start with. The usual problem with the Cat cars its it s the fear of the unknown.

If the owner had the crash pictures and evidence of the repair then I would have gone for it.

Last edited by Dream911 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Palladium
Indianapolis


Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Posts: 2496



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultegra wrote:
Sunroof and doom blue will be putting a lot of people off more than the Cat C.



I thought all coupes of that era had sunroofs, unless it was factory delete.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
clinchy993
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 6762



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a great platform for a no fear fast road /track car or backdate as long as the chassis it good

I would take it to an aircooled specialist get it inspected and try to find out what the original damage was


Straight cars are getting on for double this now



Thumb

NOTE yes you could get a sunroof delete option
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
medicus
Albert Park


Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 1517



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the category system is insurance only, and has no baring on anything else, the same rules apply to buying as you would any other car, inspect the thing, and check it over, then make your mind up as to purchase.
obviously a cat car has a lower value because of the kudos attached.
please remember there are thousands of heavy accident repared cars out there, hundreds of 911's that have not been subject to an insurance claim, therefore have no cat attached,
it all depends on the quality of repair and/or condition.
a lot of porsches that suffer damage on a track etc, are not recorded, then repaired, and sold as normal, so do all your inspections on ANY car as thorough as you can.
catogory cars are no problem at all, as long as they have been repaired properly, and you take into account the difference the stigma and label will have on resale (its just that...a label)
i recently bought a flood damaged 997 turbo PDK (60 plate)it suffered water ingress up to the seat bases, and was given a cat B status, because of the risk of safety wiring such as air bags, pre tensioners etc failing due to rusting.
the car was immaculate pre flood with very low milage, i bought it for £40k under its book price........ it only cost £5k to replace 2 ECU'S seats, carpets, and loom various other small bits....then an SVA test to check the cars "repair" then a normal MOT and a re issued V5.

car was then as new, but it carries the stigma or label of a heavily damaged car (not)
so its not always as people think, sometimes its just a fiscal move, sometimes it can be very bad damage, you have to check and double check,.
do not be put off by labels, its the car and the cars repair/history that is paramount, not some paperwork that might be bogus in its self.
as mentioned if your thinking of keeping then they are very good value, if your purely into money, then its not for you.
i bet there are some badly repaired porches out there, that are not recorded, and plenty of lovely straight ones that are.
whats in a name.....
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Palladium
Indianapolis


Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Posts: 2496



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medicus wrote:
the category system is insurance only, and has no baring on anything else, the same rules apply to buying as you would any other car, inspect the thing, and check it over, then make your mind up as to purchase.
obviously a cat car has a lower value because of the kudos attached.
please remember there are thousands of heavy accident repared cars out there, hundreds of 911's that have not been subject to an insurance claim, therefore have no cat attached,
it all depends on the quality of repair and/or condition.
a lot of porsches that suffer damage on a track etc, are not recorded, then repaired, and sold as normal, so do all your inspections on ANY car as thorough as you can.
catogory cars are no problem at all, as long as they have been repaired properly, and you take into account the difference the stigma and label will have on resale (its just that...a label)
i recently bought a flood damaged 997 turbo PDK (60 plate)it suffered water ingress up to the seat bases, and was given a cat B status, because of the risk of safety wiring such as air bags, pre tensioners etc failing due to rusting.
the car was immaculate pre flood with very low milage, i bought it for £40k under its book price........ it only cost £5k to replace 2 ECU'S seats, carpets, and loom various other small bits....then an SVA test to check the cars "repair" then a normal MOT and a re issued V5.

car was then as new, but it carries the stigma or label of a heavily damaged car (not)
so its not always as people think, sometimes its just a fiscal move, sometimes it can be very bad damage, you have to check and double check,.
do not be put off by labels, its the car and the cars repair/history that is paramount, not some paperwork that might be bogus in its self.
as mentioned if your thinking of keeping then they are very good value, if your purely into money, then its not for you.
i bet there are some badly repaired porches out there, that are not recorded, and plenty of lovely straight ones that are.
whats in a name.....






its an interesting point regarding damaged cars that don't end up on the register, i have thought there must be many an owner who has badly smashed one and has his own bodyshop or his brother has one etc.

In a way it might be as you say, look at all cars like they have had a big bang, register or not, you could end up in a false sense of security otherwise.

Import cars, this must be a grey area, i would think its easy to bury any bad history of a car from the states etc.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
medicus
Albert Park


Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 1517



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream911 wrote:
Whytar wrote:
I would personally never buy a crashed or damaged car period. Sure the cosmetic stuff can be repaired but you just never know what other unseen damage has been done?


There car be good Cat cars out there and a little damaged doesn`t really bother me but I would like to see how bad it was to start with. The usual problem with the Cat cars its it s the fear of the unknown.

If the owner had the crash pictures and evidence of the repair then I would have gone for it.


i know a lot of folk have these concerns, but they are entirely unfounded, and ill tell you why.

its not unknown, because you check out the car, in every aspect, that goes for any purchase, not just a damaged car.
there could also be fear of the unknown when buying a car from a forecourt or private, at least with a cat car, you know from the get go, that there "was" a problem and can investigate properly, if its not recorded, you might not look as hard?
forewarned is forearmed
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Dream911
Indianapolis


Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 2433
Location: London


PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medicus wrote:

i recently bought a flood damaged 997 turbo PDK (60 plate)it suffered water ingress up to the seat bases, and was given a cat B status, because of the risk of safety wiring such as air bags, pre tensioners etc failing due to rusting.
the car was immaculate pre flood with very low milage, i bought it for £40k under its book price........ it only cost £5k to replace 2 ECU'S seats, carpets, and loom various other small bits....then an SVA test to check the cars "repair" then a normal MOT and a re issued V5.


Have the rules changed Question ....I thought CAT B cars were so badly damaged they could only be broken for spares? Thougt the idea was to remove CAT B damaged cars from ever reappearing on public roads.

Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
medicus
Albert Park


Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 1517



PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream911 wrote:
medicus wrote:

i recently bought a flood damaged 997 turbo PDK (60 plate)it suffered water ingress up to the seat bases, and was given a cat B status, because of the risk of safety wiring such as air bags, pre tensioners etc failing due to rusting.
the car was immaculate pre flood with very low milage, i bought it for £40k under its book price........ it only cost £5k to replace 2 ECU'S seats, carpets, and loom various other small bits....then an SVA test to check the cars "repair" then a normal MOT and a re issued V5.


Have the rules changed Question ....I thought CAT B cars were so badly damaged they could only be broken for spares? Thougt the idea was to remove CAT B damaged cars from ever reappearing on public roads.

Question


there has never been rules so to speak the categories are just for insurance purposes and are guidelines only, you can fix/repair/or even build your own car from scratch (kit cars etc) they just have to be inspected as i mentioned (FULL SVA test)
so any cat can be put back on the road. i have had a few cat D cars, 2 cat C and 1 cat B
the cat B car has a marker applied to the V5C that cannot be removed.

i know a lot of people don't know this, and think they must be for spares only, but thats not true.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Dream911
Indianapolis


Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 2433
Location: London


PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medicus wrote:
Dream911 wrote:
medicus wrote:

i recently bought a flood damaged 997 turbo PDK (60 plate)it suffered water ingress up to the seat bases, and was given a cat B status, because of the risk of safety wiring such as air bags, pre tensioners etc failing due to rusting.
the car was immaculate pre flood with very low milage, i bought it for £40k under its book price........ it only cost £5k to replace 2 ECU'S seats, carpets, and loom various other small bits....then an SVA test to check the cars "repair" then a normal MOT and a re issued V5.


Have the rules changed Question ....I thought CAT B cars were so badly damaged they could only be broken for spares? Thougt the idea was to remove CAT B damaged cars from ever reappearing on public roads.

Question


there has never been rules so to speak the categories are just for insurance purposes and are guidelines only, you can fix/repair/or even build your own car from scratch (kit cars etc) they just have to be inspected as i mentioned (FULL SVA test)
so any cat can be put back on the road. i have had a few cat D cars, 2 cat C and 1 cat B
the cat B car has a marker applied to the V5C that cannot be removed.

i know a lot of people don't know this, and think they must be for spares only, but thats not true.


That's really interesting and I know C and D status was set by the insurance companies...I guess I figured A and B was done by the police or some form of authority but I`ve never really given it much thought....fair point on the kit cars.

There was a 993 turbo S at 9meister a year or so back that was being broken for spares and sold of and I thought this was because it was classed as Cat B......Maybe the cat status wasn't the reason it was being sold off in parts. Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
medicus
Albert Park


Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 1517



PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your half right sir, because most (vast majority) of cat B write off's would defiantly not be going back on the road, because of twisted chassis and destruction
but some escape the net because of financial and safety reasons.which as long as there fixed/replaced properly matters not.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Jk
Silverstone


Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 130
Location: Devon

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been to see the car in question? I've been watching it for weeks now and it seems to sell then pops back up a few days later with a different asking price!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
backitoff
Silverstone


Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 111
Location: The road to hell


PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this is slightly off topic again, but hopefully it may bring some sense to salvage vehicles......

Salvage category's are so subjective these days. It used to be:
D = Repairable
C = Repairable
B = Breaker
A = Totally destroyed (IE by fire)

Cat D and C were given the respective category based on cost of repair vs value of the vehicle.
Most insurers have a contract with a salvage agent whereby they agree to pay a percentage of the (say) Glasses guide retail value of the vehicle.
So for example, Cat D the salvage agent would pay 70% of the retail value for the car. This means the repair costs must not exceed 30% of the cars value as it is cheaper for the insurer to write it off.
Cat C the percentage would be less as the damage is 'likely' to be more severe and so on. (highly variable and inaccurate).

Cat B was 'spares only' therefore attracted very little % of book value as it should only be broken for spare parts (B for breaker)
Cat A attracted zero value as there is no perceived value of the scrap.

Insurers being insurers then went to Cat X and category U 'unclassified' for cars that were very lightly damaged (IE stolen then recovered with very little or no damage, or recovered after they had settled the claim) and these cars are not recorded on any register.

Times have changed, and the personal injury and credit hire elements of claims have influenced things significantly. If an insurer thinks he may be facing long term credit hire costs or any extended costs, he will be inclined to just write the car off no matter how lightly damaged it is. This limits their exposure to risk and the cost implication of the claim.

Bear in mind that insurers will be taking big hits on claims, and will most likely be relaxing their own rules and industry guidelines (their own creation by the way) to offset costs. Hope this sheds some light. Although 'clear as mud' springs to mind lol!

Personally, I have never had a problem buying a 'Category car' but the future value is affected, therefore the buying price needs to reflect it.
However, I do believe that the total loss marker vs value diminishes over time.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum