Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lotus new range looks bonkers

BingB

lightisright_004-L.jpg

lightisright_002-L.jpg

evora_410_006-L.jpg

elise_cup_005-L.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/lotus--geneva-2016/33850

Huge lotus fan here, the new range looks immense wouldn't mind the Exige 350 to sit along side my 911 TT.

Anyone else a lotus fan?

I'm not sure what happened between Lotus new owners and Danny Bahar, but I thought he showed great vision to move the brand on to really compete with the likes of Porsche etc.As far as focused cars, hard to beat, but I feel that Lotus dropped the ball in not going down the path of Bahar.
Having said that these cars look the business.

I love the idea of Lotus, but never owned one, they've not built a car 'for me' until the Evora. Elise/Exige just too compromised for daily use, not interested in track days.

Evora looks properly nice, and is one of the few actual 911 competitors that is sports car shaped and has 2+2. The new generation of Loti looks great, I wish them well as a UK based company.

I loved the old Esprits.

I'm a fan but aren't they all the same cars? Nothing really new about them apart from they use Toyota Camry power plants for last few years and a bit of styling tweaks here and there. All a bit dated truth be told.

Last car they made which I thought ooooh I'd like to buy that was the Esprit GT3. That was along time ago. Remembering going up to Hethel to take a test drive. Think that was 1998! :eh!:

Robertb said:
I love the idea of Lotus, but never owned one, they've not built a car 'for me' until the Evora. Elise/Exige just too compromised for daily use, not interested in track days.

Evora looks properly nice, and is one of the few actual 911 competitors that is sports car shaped and has 2+2. The new generation of Loti looks great, I wish them well as a UK based company.

I loved the old Esprits.

My brother bought his S2 Esprit from Cubleys at Ainsdale in 1979
Still not driven in the wet. 46,000 miles
:grin:

If they go to basics within a £ 28000 starting point they may do better

As for me :bandit: Lotus elan plus 2 / Europa twin cam / If this counts a Caterham 1700 supersprint

I'm with you. I've always loved the 'idea' of a Lotus since the Esprit's of the 70's-80's, but never considered buying one due to the well known quality issues etc.
The latest range however really has stepped up the game. I never realised how much appeal the new cars had until I watched Matt Farrah driving and Evora 400...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1pU_tfMAUY

Can't recommend the Lotus / Loti (plural?) enough.

Probably only the Caterham that gets close in terms of raw fun I guess but at circa 850kg which my Exige is, you feel the lightness and also the size. You have to make sure people see you at junctions, in car parks with big 4x4s when they are reversing as you are so low down etc.

Night driving is terrible. I think my iPhone produces more light than the headlights do. In fact that's the only time I pretty much hate driving it. The wet is good fun, horrendous on track and I've been caught out only on track (full 180!).

The looks that you get the admiration of the car is completely different from the Porsche. I've had a group of guys chatting about the car all night when I parked outside once. I've even come back from the supermarket to find a girl taking photos of her boyfriend stood next to the car. He giggled like a girl when I clicked the alarm walking up to the car!

Oh, also surprisingly comfortable for long journeys.

Getting back in the Porsche, the first thing you notice is it feels VERY big. The steering wheel feels like a bus. And the Porsche felt very imbalanced for a long time before I got re-adjusted to weight sitting at the back, that's how well balanced the Lotus is!

You can have lots of enjoyment without breaking the speed limit, forget the mini, the Lotus is real go kart handling!

As a daily driver which mine is, there's definitely some compromise involved but worth it as you really feel like you're driving it. Not had many issues but compared with the Porker prices, servicing, parts and repairs (on the whole anyhow) are very good.

If you get chance, run one for a while. I'm going to until my hips won't let me in one! :D

Big Lotus fan here too. I had an Exige S for three and a half years and 30,000 miles including 4 big euro trips. Absolute nothing went wrong except a dead battery and upgraditis setting in. It was the main reason I did not get a 911 as even the Cayman is a limo by comparison and nothing this side of a pure track car gets near in terms of driver feel and feedback. Even the dealers are enthusiastic about the cars rather than as just commodities to be sold.

Fit and finish is not a patch on Porsche but, as long as you like the stripped out look to the interior it holds together well and you are generally having so much fun it does not really matter. Back to looking at V6 adverts.

Johnd52 said:
Big Lotus fan here too. I had an Exige S for three and a half years and 30,000 miles including 4 big euro trips. Absolute nothing went wrong except a dead battery and upgraditis setting in. It was the main reason I did not get a 911 as even the Cayman is a limo by comparison and nothing this side of a pure track car gets near in terms of driver feel and feedback. Even the dealers are enthusiastic about the cars rather than as just commodities to be sold.

Fit and finish is not a patch on Porsche but, as long as you like the stripped out look to the interior it holds together well and you are generally having so much fun it does not really matter. Back to looking at V6 adverts.

You're right, the dealers love their cars and get involved in the Lotus community events too!

V6 are holding their value well, but certainly not put off the lower powered ones. In fact I've kept my N/A rather supercharging it as it's more revvy and better on today's roads IMHO.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back