Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Great British Insurance Game

Having a civil partner on the policy is cheaper than a cohabitor. :nooo:

Suppose I could ask the GF to have a sex change :grin:

(I'd have one myself, but if I had a pair of boobs, I'd never leave the house :oops: )

Alex, do tell the significance of the black ribbon on the bumper, by the scammers?

Common practice in Blackburn that black ribbons on bumpers = shunts. As well as some other traits, but if you watch how you drive, then you'll be fine.

Sad society we live in.

Got an email today reminding us that the Insurance is due end of the month on Sian's BMW, renewal price of £275. That seemed a bit steep so off to the comparison sites we go.

The Meerkat came up with £203 from Swinton with no voluntary excess but, when I added a £250 excess that went up to £208. Removing the excess took it down again - but only to £208. So that's a £5 charge just for asking!

Next was the owners of a certain popular moneysaving site.

They came up with £194 from M&S or Lloyds at £189. But they were showing windscreen cover as an "optional extra", so I ticked the box to see what happened. Lloyds crept up to £191 but M&S went down to £192.

Now really intrigued, I decided to see what protecting her NC would cost. With Lloyds it would add a perfectly reasonable £3, with M&S it again went down to a final price of £191.45

Happy with that price, but can't help wonering what they're playing at. I know it's only a few £ either way but why on earth do Swinton increase their price just because you check what difference an excess would make and why does it cost less to have windscreen cover and protected NCD with M&S than it does to not have them? That just makes no sense at all from a risk management POV!

eta: Just checked with the robot and, through them, M&S want £293. Unless we protect her NCD in which case they'll accept £214. That's a whopping £79 saving for taking an optional extra that's supposed to cost you more - no wonder they're confused!

A very good friend of mine is my broker, owns his firm
I have a really decent policy with all bells & whistles. Eg fully comp on any car.
He throws in interest free instalments and legal.

Just did the meerkat thing out of curiosity

But as above , bizarrely £100 more to leave on drive rather than in a locked garage , behind locked gates

Was £150 benefit for adding wife on policy. Thought about adding parents but she has a blue badge for a medical condition , so can't imagine it will reduce my premium :lol:

Renewed my Insurance two weeks ago.

My provider (Admiral) quoted a renewal of £320 ish and the compare site brought back Elephant at £230.....these are sister companies!

I rang E and they advised me as the sister company of Admiral to speak to them as they could likely match it. not only could they match it but they could also see the E quote on their system. Whilst happy with the near £100 saving on identical terms, its a bit rich having to call them up under those circumstances for a long term customer!

Loyalty tends to cost more than it saves in many markets and most things we buy with a subscription/renewal is in that bucket. Pricing and business models take into account that many people believe loyalty and repeat business is a good thing for both sides and will probably not check, which is why they're able to magically change the premium when challenged. The annoying thing for us is we need to check our markets, every renewal, every company not to fall foul of it. Thank goodness for comparison site and other means to help us :evil:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back