Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A question for Dads with Learner Drivers

Disco said:
Left field comment for this one - have any of you looked into what happens if they get something on which you can get classic car Insurance rather than predictable small-engined hatchbacks? Does that affect viability? Or do you all insist on your kids being in modern metal surrounded by air bags and door bars?

Just a thought... :?:

I'm currently having a Mini 1275GT being built / restored for my son who turns 17 in March... Insurance quotes for him on that are £1200... On the Polo 1.4 TDi we had it was £1575

Incidently for just me and the wife on the Mini it was £85 for the year... Without any no claims bonus and no excess :D :D

Disco said:
Left field comment for this one - have any of you looked into what happens if they get something on which you can get classic car Insurance rather than predictable small-engined hatchbacks? Does that affect viability? Or do you all insist on your kids being in modern metal surrounded by air bags and door bars?

Just a thought... :?:

[It is too long ago to be relevant for a current price discussion, but one of my neighbours' daughters persuaded them to get her a Morris Traveller as a first car {yes - that really was her dream car at the time, this being 6 or 8 years ago IIRC} and it was cheaper to insure than anything mainstream back then]

A girl of excellent taste!

Funnily enough, a friend last year bought his son an MGB roadster for this reason- it was comparatively cheaper to insure under a classic policy. Plus it will not depreciate and he's learning to fix things himself.

Tempting though to wrap one's kids up in something like a BMW X5!

Renaults score well in Euro NCAP...

I've certainly thought of classics, but the newer stuff is much easier to learn to drive in. It all works much better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back