Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 C4S with Manual gearbox

Poker2009

Suzuka
I want this to be my next car.. (mainly because of the strip at the back over a C2S!)

Are there going to be many around with a manual gearbox in the next couple of years? I'm not really a fan of semi-automatics. Nearly everything that comes up is PDK whenever I look.

This only my opinion, but, I think there is already a steady backlash against all the gizmo's on modern cars amongst car enthusiasts. Paddleshift gearboxes is one of them. Once the gizmo generation have got bored with instant speed, from little effort, they will want to have some input into their driving. Already folk are saying that new cars are so fast that you've got to be doing 100mph + in order to get any driver thrill.
I'd buy this car, enjoy it, and watch it become a thing of envy over the coming years. With more and more automation, a top end sports car, with 3 pedals, no turbo's and a wailing 7500rpm red line, will become a much coveted machine.
Look at Ford, their latest Focus RS has been launched with manual only transmission, and funnily enough , all the testers are rejoicing this decision by Ford, and openly stating that they wished other performance cars could still be had with manual transmission.
OP, get this car bought asap, whilst you can still find one. :thumb:

I share similar thoughts. I can get the thrill of a PDK from a £50 PS4 game, when I actually drive I need a manual stick - just feel more involved.

I'll have to wait a couple of years for prices of these to drop, just hoping there will actually be a few manual 4S around to buy when the time comes?!

Interesting. I was a manual guy, but the last 3 991s I have had have all been PDK.

I think that the manual is actually ok on the 991, (but not quite as slick as my gen1 997). But the truth is the PDK is involving and lots of fun and isn't a compromise like the old autos used to be.

The reason there are so few manuals about is that quite frankly most drivers who drive a 991 end up liking PDK more than the manual. I know I did, (and that really surprised me).

Not sure I agree with the other comments. I'm fairly sure the Ford decision has more to do with cost than good driving dynamics. Does Ford make a dual clutch transmission it could use? I have a PS4, it doesn't feel anything like my 911, maybe mine is broken? :)

Either way, its great to have choice!

:yeah:

I returned to manuals before my current car and loved them and would always take a manual over an auto, but the various modes of PDK can give the car a character to match the mood you're in and/or situation on the road. You can potter around in D, up the ante with sport mode or tear around with full manual control depending how you feel or maybe just to play with the technology.

It's probably not quite as satisfying or involving as nailing perfect changes using 3-pedals and shifter in harmony, but the sheer versatility of PDK converted me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back