Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steamy windows.... and not from Valentines Day shennanigans!

ScoobyDoo555

Barcelona
Yes, still getting wet carpet and windows.... BUT I *think* I might have got somewhere..... however I need the 996-massive to clarify something for me.....

Now MY (VERY) limited understanding was that there are drains in the frunk - however, I only thought there were 2 - one either side.

Looking at these photos, there appears to be FOUR - 2 per side.... can anyone confirm this is the case because check out these pics:

Offside 1 - closest to the drivers wing-mirror CLEAR - water pours through
Offside%201_zps2cknscvd.jpg

Offside 2 - drivers side, but closer to the battery

Offside%202_zpsqfk9pdhw.jpg

This looks completely blocked with silt/crud...... do we have a winner?

Nearside 1 - closest to the passenger wing-mirror CLEAR - water pours through

Nearside%202_zpsdzrjxsbx.jpg

Nearside 2 - passenger side, closer to battery CLEAR - water pours through

Nearside%201_zpslopdzg7v.jpg

Not done anything about it yet, as I want clarification that I'm not digging around a grommet :D

Thanks in advance,

Dan :thumbs:

Look under the passenger side dashboard in the footwell you will see a foam type panel, remove this and you will see the bottom of the heater unit. Just to the right of the fan unit you will see a rubber drain tube. This is a drain that allows water that goes in through the pollen filter to drain from the box. The joints on the tube were loose and allowed water to pool on my passenger floor. After being sure that the tube was clear i cable tied the joints and it remained dry. I put a fan heater in the car for a couple of hours with the window down an inch to dry the floor.

I am sure the drains you picture only drain into the wheel arch area, so unless the water is collecting to the extent its getting in, the leak might be elsewhere.

All 4 should be clear - I replaced a couple last year as the rubber 'rots' and sticks together with age assisting in the blockage process.

Interesting - the only confusion is that whenever you type into the search engine about wet carpets, (aside from the door card seals), ALL pointers lead to the 4 drain holes.

If this isn't the case, where else is there to look at on the drivers side then?

Dan :)

There should be drain grommets on both sides Dan - the first picture you show has it missing. They are basically a rubber grommet with a small open ended flexible 'nose' underneath which allows the water to drain away.

This what they look like - the picture in the link shows it pointing up, it actually points down underneath.

http://www.autoatlanta.co...-99970347641-srch.html

Is suspect the first picture - where all the silicone is 'clagged' around where the wires and hose go through is the culprit?.

Thanks Chris - the link needed editing:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/99970347641-srch.html

FWIW, the water ingress isn't in that 1st picture - that just water I stuck extra silicone around my audio install cables that are going through the grommet into the frunk.

The water there is just where I was testing the flow through - got a bit carried away with the water jug :D

out of interest, just to confirm - the grommet shown in the pic is upside down - it should fit the other way into the hole?
But yes, it looks like one is missing - will check to see if the old one's been pushed into the hole...

Would that make much difference to water ingress into the car?

DAn :)

Yes Dan the cone on the should point downwards through the panel.

The drains you point to do not drain into anywhere that could leak into the passenger compartment unless there is another problem hidden underneath?

It might be worth taking the front (rearmost) wheel arch liner out to see if all is in order.

I know its a pain but sometimes leaks (especially small ones) can be a pig of a job to find!.

OK - update.

All carpets are dry with exception of point around the pedal. I've cleared out the drain - lots of crud and now free flowing*
*scoop out and then use a syringe with hot water.

I checked around the foam on the passenger's side - all fine: no issues with the pipework there.

Not had chance to get the wheel off and the liner, but that's my next plan IF this doesn't work.

I've also looked further at the drain that looks like it isn't there: it IS in place - just part of the flange has worn off. Seems to be working fine.

The only other things I can think of is the door seal (not an obvious, but they're not too expensive to replace.)
or getting the windscreen re-seated....... I noticed a bit of the scuttle trim is a little loose.

might just simply be that with the sheer amount of rain we've had, these minor issues are joining forces.....

Will report back.

Dan :)

just had the same problem and yes both drains full of crud and blocked. quick poke and a flush with a hose and now all good. Pleased I remembered this thread and thanks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back