Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Riviera Blue

HPNer said:
IMI A said:
I'm well jell and always look at this thread whenever you post. I'm also very upset whenever you post and do not post a pic too lol! :D

Pic from today's outing, the current Mrs HPNer at the wheel, loving it and driving it with gusto on the beautiful Welsh backroads, quite different to her PDK'd 981 and by jove, she's getting the hang of it, redlining it everywhere! :grin:
Wet and a little miserable weather, but hey . . . when you're in one of these it's always a sunny day!
All those with parked up for the winter 993s eat your hearts out . . .! You're all missing a trick. The car is simply made for days like this . . :thumb:

For me yours has to be one of the nicest 993 in the UK. Just amazing and lovely to see the wheels being driven off it even more so by your other half - which does she prefer lol? :thumbs:

HPNer it sounds like your car has been taken to the next level.

What next, or are you happy with it for now?

Tom, I assume you are referring to the solid rear subframe mounts from the GT2?

As a road car, I wouldn't bother, you may get a bit more vibration, they are noticeable on track when you are leaning on the car through a tight turn, with sticky rubber.
To get any performance benefit on the road, you would have to be driving very hard.
I had them on a previous RS, didn't bother with the upgrade(?) on this one.

Just read the whole thread.

Excellent, enjoy it!

Phil, as I've said many times before....fantastic!

Been meaning to ask re your car history....knowing your attitude along with the 3 year gaps between the SCs and 3.2, I'm guessing they were all daily drivers in their day, along with the 997. But...gulp...was the 73RS also a daily, or even in those days....too special!

IMI A said:
For me yours has to be one of the nicest 993 in the UK. Just amazing and lovely to see the wheels being driven off it even more so by your other half - which does she prefer lol? :thumbs:

Well surprisingly, I think mine probably just edges it for her driving wise. She's not a bad peddler and a fast motorcyclist too, she smiled a lot more behind the wheel of the 911 than the 981. Couple of yelps too! But, for her, the PDK and the roof coming off will take it in all other respects.

Riviera Bob said:
Phil, as I've said many times before....fantastic!

Been meaning to ask re your car history....knowing your attitude along with the 3 year gaps between the SCs and 3.2, I'm guessing they were all daily drivers in their day, along with the 997. But...gulp...was the 73RS also a daily, or even in those days....too special!

Yep, all daily drivers Bob, including the RS. It was a Swiss car (part converted to RSR with rolled front wings etc) and had been around the block a bit when I bought it, had been raced on the European circuit and then (sort of) converted back to road use. At the time, I know this is hard to understand given the mythological status these cars now have, but I saw it as a bit of a hack. I remember it was hugely expensive on parts when they became necessary (so no change there!) and at night globs of flame would pop out of the exhaust on the overrun. It wasn't particularly civilised even by the standards of the day, but I'd been a petrol head since as long as I could remember and was quite comfortable with its little idiosyncrasies. I put a lot of mileage on that car and a couple of Le Mans trips too.
Having said that, if I recall correctly, I put 50k plus on the other 911s too, apart from a rash moment when I had a 1965 Lotus 7 in the stable for a short time in 1979, I was a one car at a time man, although I did also have a Rockwell 112 TC-A, but that's another story.... :grin:
If I have a moment, I'll dig out a pic.

The reason I asked, was my neighbour tells me he had a 73RS as a daily driver in Munich back in the day....assures me he just used it as a normal car, popping to the shops etc etc....sold it in 1980 for a very normal second hand car type price, because he found it ...surprise, surprise....too raw!

That's an interesting point HPN'er as to how the RS has gained an almost mythical aura.
I was always going to get one based on solido models I had growing up.
I looked at them in the late '90's and many were just used, tired cars not far off of 20 years old. You could buy one then for £35-50k, which was a lot compared to the best 2.4S appearing to be under £20k.

I bought a 3.2CS instead to use as a daily driver, it had < 1/2 the miles for half the money and at the time I honestly thought I had the better car!

I have driven a few 2.7RS over the years and it is one of my favourites, it's just incredible that we seem to actually enjoy total absorption of the hype.

Riviera Bob said:
The reason I asked, was my neighbour tells me he had a 73RS as a daily driver in Munich back in the day....assures me he just used it as a normal car, popping to the shops etc etc....sold it in 1980 for a very normal second hand car type price, because he found it ...surprise, surprise....too raw!

Not quite an RS story, but it goes to show how times and values have changed.

A customer of mine through the company he then worked for, was offered basically any company car (within reason) he wished back in 1973, so he went for a 2.4S. Seven weeks later and a week from his delivery date the RS was revealed. He was gutted as he wanted the fastest thing out there from Porsche but it was too late to change.

When he left his job a few years later (I think he was QS) part of the deal was that he kept the car.

He sold the 2.4 to start up his own business and bought a brand new Mini van with the proceeds.....

I've now had time to read through this thread and the car is a credit to you good man. ;)

Jokingly you jib about the cars value, however the reality is that most enthusiasts and owners who actually drive their cars would no doubt take this/your car over a low mileage garage queen every time.

I hope to bring my recent purchase (993) upto a similar standard over the next few months & years and will do my best to drive the car in a similar fashion.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to future updates.

C.

As stated here many times, you have to doff your cap. Worth pointing out that the HPN 993 usage plan only makes even the vaguest sort of sense if you are living in a part of the U.K. Where you can actually drive. As opposed to being trapped in the car on a traffic infested road doing 8mph.

Driving in and around south east London is not a fun experience at any time. Driving my 993 every day on my journey to work would not bring any additional joy to my day. It would be a ball bag and something else to worry about.

I warm to the sentiment; if you can you should. I would add, if you can't then you probably shouldn't.

On a happier note, she passed her MOT today. No advisories. Again. Roll on 1/3

^ I completely agree with all that.

Give me anything new with an auto box in traffic, rain, winter, the dark.

Having taken mine from Hampshire to Cheshire on traffic strewn roads last week and nearly paralysed my left leg I certainly agree re traffic.

I love driving the 993 in winter though. With some HIDs and decent tyres it's so sure footed and confidence inspiring and will easily outperform modern beige boxes. Even the odd unsuspecting XKR...

The trip home down the lanes starting at dawn certainly made up for the trip up.

Takes plenty of Karcher time to get all the crap off it though.

I hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine does! Enjoy in good health....

2afiyit.jpg

Paul.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back