Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

non sunroof aircooled 911

Palladium

does anyone know roughly how many had the sun roof option removed? I don't like sunroofs and am surprised at how many have them. They look so much better without imo, I would have thought that if people wanted sunroof they should have gone targa, I think it must have been costly to not have one, that's all I can think.

sunroof

I've no idea how many came with a sunroof but totally disagree with you about them. I bought a 993 coupe with a sunroof which is brilliant. I previously had a boxster in which when you thought it was quite a nice warm day you realised you had misjudged and 5 miles down the road it was F*****G freezing so had to put the roof up again. Ahhh I thought,I am off for a euro tour and the boxster will come into it's own. After one day cruising down through France with the top down I was so burn't the next day I never had the roof down until tootling over the Furka pass which I must admit was quite pleasant So in 5 years I had one good day with the roof down! In the 2 years with the 993 I have had the sunroof open countless times which gives just the right amount of airflow so no need to go for a targa then!

Re: sunroof

stichill99 said:
I've no idea how many came with a sunroof but totally disagree with you about them. I bought a 993 coupe with a sunroof which is brilliant. I previously had a boxster in which when you thought it was quite a nice warm day you realised you had misjudged and 5 miles down the road it was F*****G freezing so had to put the roof up again. Ahhh I thought,I am off for a euro tour and the boxster will come into it's own. After one day cruising down through France with the top down I was so burn't the next day I never had the roof down until tootling over the Furka pass which I must admit was quite pleasant So in 5 years I had one good day with the roof down! In the 2 years with the 993 I have had the sunroof open countless times which gives just the right amount of airflow so no need to go for a targa then!

I was meaning the look of the car with a sunroof, rather than the functionality of having one, and the question was how many non sunroof were built? not how many were built with one, do you know the answer?

Re: sunroof

stichill99 said:

+1

+2.
On the more modern stuff (996/997) at any given point roughly 25% of cars for sale have a sunroof (source : autotrader filter). So 75% without.

Possible air cooled had the same ratio?

rob_p said:
+2.
On the more modern stuff (996/997) at any given point roughly 25% of cars for sale have a sunroof (source : autotrader filter). So 75% without.

Possible air cooled had the same ratio?

I think sunroofs were more common then as air con was more rare. Smart cars in the 70s and 80s had sunroofs.

I don't think anyone knows how many aircooled were without sunroofs, I will try Porsche directly, they are bound to know. I reckon its very few, as people make a point of the fact in their opening listing when they sell their car, and all the ones I see have sunroofs. There is a 964 up for sale at the moment without sunroof, and the trade seller writes that its a rare non sunroof car, that the original owner ordered and paid not to have one as they were all standard at the time.

it aint the end of the world if I cant get a non sunroof coupe.

thnink UK cars had sunroof as standard ?

Both my Italian 2.4S and German 964 c2 are non sunroof ( both LHD )

Palladium said:
I don't think anyone knows how many aircooled were without sunroofs, I will try Porsche directly, they are bound to know. I reckon its very few, as people make a point of the fact in their opening listing when they sell their car, and all the ones I see have sunroofs. There is a 964 up for sale at the moment without sunroof, and the trade seller writes that its a rare non sunroof car, that the original owner ordered and paid not to have one as they were all standard at the time.

if you find out i would be interested to know the numbers please. i was looking specifically for non sunroof coupe air cooled and it wasn't easy ( but i have bought one now)
so i can confirm - you are right they are deffo much more rare than sunroof ones

Different strokes for different folks. A non sunroof 964 will appeal to those who want the lighter weight and are going to be more track focused so a buyer will pay a premium.

Agree also AC was very expensive extra and the era these cars were built EVERYONE wanted a sunroof. I even paid £99 for one of those glass ones to be fitted in my Ford Capri GL when the local parts shops were doing them :roll:

yev said:
Palladium said:

if you find out i would be interested to know the numbers please. i was looking specifically for non sunroof coupe air cooled and it wasn't easy ( but i have bought one now)
so i can confirm - you are right they are deffo much more rare than sunroof ones

you are lucky getting one, I emailed the Porsche museum but they were about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. how much was yours? pm me.

here is my new 41 year old 2.7L 911s
she wasn't cheap but also not over inflated, so i am happy

for some reason cannot add my pic, sorry guys

Zingari said:
Different strokes for different folks. A non sunroof 964 will appeal to those who want the lighter weight and are going to be more track focused so a buyer will pay a premium.

Agree also AC was very expensive extra and the era these cars were built EVERYONE wanted a sunroof. I even paid £99 for one of those glass ones to be fitted in my Ford Capri GL when the local parts shops were doing them :roll:

My dad had a gold Capri 1.6 GL T-reg. Is still one of his faves ever even now. I also paid a big chunk of changes for a glass sunroof to be cut into my MkII Golf Driver :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back