Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Emissions Failure on MOT

0james0

I'm sure I'm not the first and I wont be the last! I've tried to search the forum, but couldn't find any ideas on what to do to fix.

A friend of mine does my MOT's, I have a 08 Cayman S, everything else was fine, but the emissions are off the chart, so bad, he couldn't even find a way to fudge it like he has for me in the past!

Life before a Porsche, a used a bottle of some special liquid, chucked it in with the fuel and it managed to lower the emissions. I'm reluctant to do this to the Cayman as I'm worried I might break something!

So my scores from the test:

Fast idle
CO: 1.414% (supposed to be less than 0.2)
Lambda: 0.955 (supposed to be between 0.97-1.030)

Second fast idle
CO: 2.572%
Lambda: 0.912

It did pass the natural idle test though, with a score of 0.265 for CO.

The car was recent serviced and I had a new oil filter and all new plugs and coils, that was done about 6 weeks ago.

I use the fancy, super fuel from the pumps if that changes anything?

Lastly, possibly related? today when driving home, I noticed there seems to be a slight issue when hard accelerating. The rev counter seems to fly up to around 3000, but you can feel its more rev than power, its almost like I've touched the clutch slightly mid accelerate. It then drops slightly and then carries on. That is probably a bad explanation and possibly a completely unrelated (hopefully not bigger) problem.

My friend although very experienced mechanic, openly admits Porsches are not his speciality and so sticks to just the MOT's. So I was hoping for some help and advice on here, before I essentially go to my local Porsche garage with a blank cheque book and get my wallet abused.

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated

James

0james0 said:
I'm sure I'm not the first and I wont be the last! I've tried to search the forum, but couldn't find any ideas on what to do to fix.

A friend of mine does my MOT's, I have a 08 Cayman S, everything else was fine, but the emissions are off the chart, so bad, he couldn't even find a way to fudge it like he has for me in the past!

Life before a Porsche, a used a bottle of some special liquid, chucked it in with the fuel and it managed to lower the emissions. I'm reluctant to do this to the Cayman as I'm worried I might break something!

So my scores from the test:

Fast idle
CO: 1.414% (supposed to be less than 0.2)
Lambda: 0.955 (supposed to be between 0.97-1.030)

Second fast idle
CO: 2.572%
Lambda: 0.912

It did pass the natural idle test though, with a score of 0.265 for CO.

The car was recent serviced and I had a new oil filter and all new plugs and coils, that was done about 6 weeks ago.

I use the fancy, super fuel from the pumps if that changes anything?

Lastly, possibly related? today when driving home, I noticed there seems to be a slight issue when hard accelerating. The rev counter seems to fly up to around 3000, but you can feel its more rev than power, its almost like I've touched the clutch slightly mid accelerate. It then drops slightly and then carries on. That is probably a bad explanation and possibly a completely unrelated (hopefully not bigger) problem.

My friend although very experienced mechanic, openly admits Porsches are not his speciality and so sticks to just the MOT's. So I was hoping for some help and advice on here, before I essentially go to my local Porsche garage with a blank cheque book and get my wallet abused.

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated

James

machines knackered, ask for a calibration report.

or take it somewhere else.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
declandio said:
I don't think a bottle of magic would break anything...

Not going to fix anything TBH.

True. Reasonable chance of getting him through an MOT though. Then you have time to get it diagnosed/sorted properly.

I was about to sell it, need some back seats. Hoping to upgrade to the carrera!

It's a Porsche, it's supposed to have high emissions, that's why I pay £500 a year in road tax! It's a frustrating little problem to try and get fixed

O2 sensor. Would pop up during proper diagnostic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back