Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need some advice now my products have run out

marcass

Silverstone
Its been a long while since I last did some proper car cleaning, so much so that I have changed cars since, but I realised that all the products that I used before have run out which were:

901 Duragloss for shampoo
111 Duragloss polish
601 Duragloss bonding agent
652 Duragloss Pre cleaner No2

I cant seem to replace them other than from the US, so can someone advise on some alternatives.

Also, should I use a wax and a polish? (you can see I need to learn more about this).

Many thanks

Marcus

Hi Marcus, you could do a lot worse than read the many hundreds of posts on this very topic in this section of the forum. Just about everything is covered. Happy reading. :thumb:

I understand, I have been looking at many of the recent posts about people's preferences, and I guess I shall try and pick some of these recommended products.
I would like to ask whether it is necessary to apply a wax on top of the polish?

Also, are there preferred websites we use to buy the stock?

thanks
Marcus

What sort of condition is the paint in if you shine a bright light on it... swirly? Probably... If so, consider a polish, then a wax.

Wash and clay to start with.

Personally, I love the Zymol HD Cleanse and Concours wax once I have the paint up to standard.

But seriously, horses for courses. Depends how seriously you want to take it.

For all my huffing and puffing and weekends spent in a hermetically sealed garage with cotton buds, a mate washes and polishes his C4S with turtlewax colour magic in about 45 mins. Looks depressingly good!

Edit to add- of late I've been trying some AutoFinesse products- nice stuff, and from a small British company.

thanks for the comments.

Its 2008 and white, and I find it difficult to evaluate the condition of the paintwork, my former black C2S was easy to see swirls etc!

My plan was to wash it, then clay it, which I have done several times before to my former cars, but its the bit following the clay step which I am always puzzled about.

Before, I applied the bonding agent, then Polish, then that's it, but think that I ought to be applying wax too.

I don't have a mechanical polish machine, and that for me would be s step too far, but I'm up for buying the right compounds to get a good result.

thanks
Marcus

Have used Zaino to very good affect (google to get supplier); but have moved onto Gtechniq in the last ten months which I really like. However, with Gtechniq tbh to get the absolute best results is to get one of the dealer approved partners to apply their 'dealer only' products e.g platinum, Crystal Serum. Once they have been professionally applied you can easily maintain it with Gtechniq products. Had their platinum products applied to my 997 a year ago & it still beads very well & the paint still feels like silk. It comes with a five year guarantee & £100 worth of gtechniq goodies you will use. The one up from their platinum is Crystal Serum - which has a seven year guarantee & is meant to have an even better gloss. I will def go down the same route when my 981 Spyder lands in May.

marcass said:
thanks for the comments.

Its 2008 and white, and I find it difficult to evaluate the condition of the paintwork, my former black C2S was easy to see swirls etc!

My plan was to wash it, then clay it, which I have done several times before to my former cars, but its the bit following the clay step which I am always puzzled about.

Before, I applied the bonding agent, then Polish, then that's it, but think that I ought to be applying wax too.

I don't have a mechanical polish machine, and that for me would be s step too far, but I'm up for buying the right compounds to get a good result.

thanks
Marcus

I'd imagine the requirement for bonding agent depends on the type of wax/paint seal treatment. For example for Zymol, the clay and HD cleanse readies the paint for the wax. There is no bonding agent stage.

I'd defo recommend a polish machine- I got a Meguiars DA polisher which is very safe- as long as you don't go mad with an aggressive compound you won't do any harm and the finish is brilliant, so much quicker, more effective and more consistent than polish by hand.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back