Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DAB In Your Porsche - A Solution

Jamie

Just noticed I'm up to 99 posts so I thought I'd make my 100th something that some of you may find useful

I've spent the last month or so playing about with a few aerials getting the DAB function of my Pioneer head unit working in my car.

I tried the standard Pioneer windscreen one which sort of worked but looked terrible and only picked up about 3-4 stations. The other options were a body mounted antenna which meant drilling a hole in my 911 and was never going to happen, a roof mounted mag mount which meant my car looking like a Nissan Bluebird minicab or an 80s repmobile glass mount.

I went for the glass mount but instead of mounting it on the exterior, I stuck the base and the antenna together, placed the box in the corner of the rear shelf and replaced the antenna with a piece of solid core bell wire which I ran up and tucked behind the C pillar trim. The box is barely noticeable but if you wanted to take it a stage further you could probably stash the box behind one of the trim panels.

Result - full DAB coverage of all stations available in my area. Very happy. Obviously the results will vary depending on the DAB coverage in your area but round here it is spot on.

This is the antenna I used, you will also need to order a cable as it doesn't come with it.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-T4002_telescopic_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html

This may have already been covered on here but I done a search and couldn't find anything solid, so thought I'd write this up in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

Good post Jamie

Osh

Good one, but I prefer something like this for 100% signal satisfaction:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :floor: :floor: :floor:

DSC_0191.jpg

I tend to just listen to the radio via my phone. 3G generally more prevalent than DAB and I have the Internet full of choices

Still an iPad mini in mind with a 3 win. All the radio stations can want, Spotify, sat nav - the lot

Great post pictures would be perfect I wish I had known about this 3 months ago

I must admit when the windscreen aerial didn't work I just thought sod it - I'll just use the tunein app on my phone. The problem is I have a sort of OCD condition that if I have something there, whether I'll ever use it or not, I have to have it working.

Jonboy - tbh mate there's not a lot to take pics of really. The only visible part is a small black box on the parcel shelf. I'll grab a pic next time I'm in the car if I remember...

Osh said:
Still an iPad mini in mind with a 3 win. All the radio stations can want, Spotify, sat nav - the lot

Can someone please remind me NOT to post when i'm pi$$ed! That just makes no sense at all. Not that my posts ever make sense.... :eek:

Osh

A few pics. They don't really show much but there ya go :)

The aerial I made - just a bit of bell wire. The only thing I didn't experiment with was the length. This is the length of the antenna as supplied which works perfectly fine so didn't really see the need.

The "inside" and "outside" parts of the antenna box stuck together.

The box in position on the rear shelf. Not perfect but unobtrusive enough for me

Another shot of the box and antenna installed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back