Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 turbo s beats gt3rs ring time (in theory ! )

the other me

Nurburgring
Hope I can be forgiven for posting an article from the "opposition" but this claim that the turbo s will beat the rs's ring time surprised me.

Ooops.linkie no workie. . . . . seems I didn't have to apologise, you will just have to check yourself over on pissed-on-heads if you are interested.

Article was from 14th January titled "The future of 911s - Detroit 2016"

A chat with the 911 Turbo engineering boss to discuss manuals, 'ring times, hybrids and more

We have only recently been discussing the new age turbocharged Carrera. There was a fractionally different Porsche 911 Turbo that was officially unveiled at the Detroit show. But as well as giving it a going over we also got a chance to speak to Erhard Mossle, the Turbo's engineering boss, about both his new baby and the broader future for the 911.
The first surprise was the official claim that the new Turbo can lap the Nordschleife in 7min 18sec - making it quicker than the GT3 RS. Not because that number sounds in any way outlandish, but because haven't there been speed limits at the 'ring for most of the last year?

Look out Miami - it's the new Turbo CabrioletLook out Miami - it's the new Turbo CabrioletYes, there have been. And apparently the 911 Turbo's time involves a bit of digital simulation. "Some parts are driven and compared to the previous 911 Turbo," Mossle explained, "and the limited sections where you're not allowed to do top speed are calculated. We will then go and check it later this year in spring when the speed limits are removed, but the 7min 18sec we are sure to meet, we are normally conservative with times, and that time was set on the standard tyres, not sports tyres."
He admitted the Turbo's faster 'lap time' has created a bit of banter with the Motorsport division, but assured us that the next GT3 will almost certainly be faster again. "We like to say that it pushes our colleagues to the next level."

But having time with such a senior Porsche executive also gave a chance to probe into the iconic sports car's future in a bit more detail. With the recent shift to turbocharged engines for the 991.II Carrera justified on the grounds of CO2 emissions, are we likely to see related changes as we move forwards?

Mission E tech will be used elsewhereMission E tech will be used elsewhere"We are working on different solutions," Mossle said, "we are developing a pure electrical car like the Mission E concept, and of course we are discussing plug-in solutions for the 911."
Indeed, it quickly transpired Porsche is doing considerably more than discussing such solutions, with Mossle quickly confirming we're very likely to see a plug-wearing next-gen 911; confirmation of something Porsche's recently departed engineering boss Wolfgang Hatz told us in Detroit last year.

Mossle admitted that, as you'd expect, finding space in a 911 bodyshell for an electrical powertrain alongside the petrol one is causing some major headaches. "It will take some time to bring that to market, with the packaging problems of the car."

He was predictably keen to emphasise that, as in the 918, the hybrid system will be adding performance rather than just boosting economy, with other efficiency savings likely to come from a development of the Carrera's recently launched turbocharged engine. Unsurprisingly Porsche has put the need to keep flat-six power right at the top of the priority list for future 911s. There's no chance of a latter-day 912.

Four-cylinder for Boxster, not 911Four-cylinder for Boxster, not 911"As far as I can see we will stay with six-cylinder engines in the 911," Mossle said, "we have good positioning, the 911 will have six and the 718 [Boxster and Cayman] will have four."
The weight and complexity of a future hybrid 911 is creating serious pressure to reduce mass, although there's not much detail on how weight will be fought.

"Our goal is always that the 911 is really light compared to the competition," Mossle said, "technologies like turbo engines or crash regulations will make the car heavier. Therefore we are fighting hard... especially as if we are discussing plug-in hybrid then there's the battery weight."

Part-carbon construction is a possibility, although Mossle is clearly not a fan of carbon for carbon's sake. "Some parts you can substitute a carbon part," he said, "like the floor or the rear seat section... When you have no other choice you have to do it."

Interestingly, one of the problems with using carbon is the fact that the 911 is produced in higher volumes than almost any of its competitors, Mossle saying it would be harder to find suppliers or to justify longer cycle times for bonding carbon parts on the production line. A veiled dig at Audi and Lamborghini over the part-carbon R8 and Huracan, anyway.

Porsche remains fully committed to making the 911 with a manual transmission for as long as anyone wants to buy it. Not many people do, it seems; apparently just 15 per cent of 911s were sold with a DIY gears last year. But for Mossle, having the option of a stick is a point of principle. "It's a USP for Porsche to have a manual 911 and we will fight for it for as long as possible," he said, "I think we should definitely keep it for the next generation also."

Manual sports cars are likely to be pretty thin on the ground in 2020, so that's good news.

Not sure how the Turbo S time was actually derived from a simulation, but here are the cold hard facts :-

GT3RS : max power 500bhp max torque 460Nm

Turbo S : max power 580bhp max torque 700Nm (overboost 750Nm)

So. with so much extra torque and generated so much lower down, probably not a total surprise that the Turbo S comes out on top around the Nordschleife.

I would have thought that the power would have had more of an effect than the torque, unless the driver can't use the gears.

MC

That's a comparison between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 car. When the Gen 2 RS comes out, I guess the differences will be narrowed. Also, don't forget the RS is much lighter than a Turbo.

~ Maxie

Flawed theory. Maybe on a shorter track like angelsey where traction out of small corners helps the turbo but not at the ring. Bit like evo proved between the turbo s and new rs.

Power and torque is not everything. The ring is 20kms long so far nor factors come into play.

The RS is much lighter so will preserve tyres and brakes more than a turbo, it has a LOT more aero and racing aero at the front so far less lift than a turbo and much better turn in to high speed corners like schwedenskreuz,hatzenbach etc.

I expect the RS to be 10 seconds or more quicker over that distance.

All current 'ring times are now irrelevant anyway. The changes to the circuit to make it safer will also (in the opinion of people who should know who have walked the updated sections on foot) make the circuit faster...

Haven't the Turbo and GT3 always been fairly evenly matched anyway? I thought the idea was they'll both thrill equally just in slightly different ways. Which is faster or slower will usually come down to the driver anyway

Reading the article, the idea of a hybrid 911 doesn't excite me much. Why don't they skip that and go straight to flying 911's instead. I'd rather have a Luke Skywalker 911 hover speedster thingy to scream through the desert in (in riviera blue, obviously)

Roro said:
Haven't the Turbo and GT3 always been fairly evenly matched anyway? I thought the idea was they'll both thrill equally just in slightly different ways. Which is faster or slower will usually come down to the driver anyway

Reading the article, the idea of a hybrid 911 doesn't excite me much. Why don't they skip that and go straight to flying 911's instead. I'd rather have a Luke Skywalker 911 hover speedster thingy to scream through the desert in (in riviera blue, obviously)

Lol...I'll get your therapist back over to you later on this evening..

These treatments are costing me a fortune.... :roll:

I hope that you appreciate it. :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back