Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starter Motor screech - cured (hopefully)

Alex

Nordschleife
My starter motor has been screeching for the last 3 months or so, so with the weather being ok this afternoon, I thought I'd have a bash at sorting it out.

It was doing this half the time:

So I whipped it out, gave it a clean and some grease and back in. Time will tell if I've managed to cure it but as yet it seems fine.

Couple of pics and a how to below:

First disconnect the battery (with the key in the ignition to prevent alarm sounding) as the starter has a live direct to it.

DSC02050_zpseimw0d2f.jpg

Then start stripping all the parts out that are in the way, firstly the airbox. Disconnect the MAF sensor and undo the jubilee clip to the throttle body before removing the box (clamped in with one bolt in the middle at the front/back of the box).

DSC02051_zps36fuz4wx.jpg

Then disconnect the AOS air pipe from the plenum and power lead from the throttle body before undoing the 4 screws holding the body on (the bottom left one also has a clamp on that supports the body to the engine as well as the intake plenum, although mine was sheared off).

DSC02055_zpsk5zk5a1o.jpg

Before removing the plenum, undo the inner jubilee clips and rotate the plenum to break the seal.

DSC02057_zps2tauiqsd.jpg

Then re-tighten and do the same with the outer clips. Once all seals are cracked, undo all 4 jubilee clips and push the rubber pipes outwards away from the plenum. It can then be wriggled out.

DSC02058_zpssxmywjv7.jpg

Once removed you can see the starter motor.

DSC02061_zpsxmml36tc.jpg

Disconnect both earth lead and power lead from the soleniod.

DSC02062_zpsroyuvwbm.jpg

Now remove the 2 bolts holding the starter motor on (the one on the right that's visible was quite easy, the one out of sight a bit of a mare).

DSC02063_zpsdw3kf94l.jpg

At this point, job ground to a halt because my 1/2" to 3/8" reducer snapped :nooo:

DSC02066_zpsg2qdmbfv.jpg

So I had to nip up to my Dad's and rob his socket set whilst he's on holiday. At this point, the job became a bit harder as I had to use to 3/8" extensions and they weren't long enough so I was limited on access, but managed to get the other bolt out (and graze my hands!)

The other bolt is hidden in the depths of this photo (note I removed the LH rubber intake pipe to give myself more access) .

DSC02064_zpsitdvomnr.jpg

The starter just slides right out then.

DSC02067_zpswwb9jtmj.jpg

Didn't look too dirty when I removed it and was a bit surprised as I thought it would be caked in clutch dust.

DSC02068_zpsx4eln6ka.jpg

Gave it a good clean up and pulled the bendix drive out and applied some silicone grease round it. Whipped the cover plate off the back too and greased that end.

DSC02069_zps4fgtyvry.jpg

Put it all back together in reverse order, fired it up a few times and as yet, not a screech so hopefully cured it, but time will tell.

Was going to strip the solenoid down but the bolts holding it in are well and truly rusted up so left that for another time if need be.

Now to order myself a new reducer for my socket set.

Nice work, Alex.

Mine tomorrow, or sometime this week.

Or next.

:thumb:

Top work!

It's really burried in there isn't it. Did the bearings look dry?

Mine seems to really spin the engine over well since I cleaned and greased the bearings, also worth removing and cleaning the engine to chassis ground strap located in the o/s rear wheel arch area.

:thumb:

It was a bit dry in the back end under the cap at the back so I cleaned that out and applied fresh grease. I was surprised how clean the bendix drive was and how free it moved. A cleaned all the gear up and greased the drive so hopefully the screech is no longer with us.

It was getting right on my moobs!

alex yates said:
It was a bit dry in the back end under the cap at the back so I cleaned that out and applied fresh grease. I was surprised how clean the bendix drive was and how free it moved. A cleaned all the gear up and greased the drive so hopefully the screech is no longer with us.

It was getting right on my moobs!

Read out of context, the post above could take on a whole different meaning :sad:
:friends:
:devil:

I'm from Lancashire, not Yorkshire. :wack:

Really interesting and informative - thanks. Mines been screetching on and off for a couple of years! Now I know what to do.

I've had 2 freezing cold mornings now with the car iced over - the starter did seem to screech more in cold weather.
I've tried it throughout the day since doing the job and as yet screech free.

Mine has started making exactly the same noise as this on and off over the last couple of weeks. :?:

So are you still screech free Alex? I'm thinking of having a bash at it sometime this month :thumb:

Was just checking the date - wow, last March. Yes it is still screech free and has never made a single screech ever since doing the job. At the time I thought there's no chance I've cured this as the starter motor didn't even look dirty, but it's been fine since so must have done.

:thumbs:

Cheap fix. I was reading rennlist earlier and their advice on it was fit a new starter :eek: :grin:

Thanks Alex Good man :thumb:

And still screech free after all this time it's definitely worth me giving it a bash.

Thank mate

:worship:

We're all in it together mate :thumbs:

Mine does the same thing but only when hot. After a 10 mile + drive and stopping for fuel then starting the car 5 mins later.......It's on my list of things to do.

Two years on and still perfect.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back