Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

how to hook up a CTEK to a Boxster?

tim993

Zandvoort
Given the battery appears to be hidden somewhere (pls excuse the oxymoron...), how best to hook up a battery conditioner?

Can i connect it to one of the 'many' 12v sockets in the cabin or will these all be 'dead' when the car is locked / the ignition key removed?

Lastly, how long will a 981 last before the battery drains below the point the car will start? It seemed fine after 3 weeks of recent inactivity ( :oops: )

Thanks in advance :)

tim

I have recently hooked up my Cayman to a CTEK. Assuming the battery is the same on a Boxter:

Battery is under a cover just in front of the windscreen.
I connected a CTEK quick release connector to the battery with an extension. I used an extension because when the battery is flat you cannot open the bonnet. With an extension, you can leave the wire poking out the top of a closed bonnet regardless of whether it is plugged into the battery conditioner or not. Then, if the battery flattens, it can be charged without needing to couple a spare battery to the fuse box to open the bonnet. This allows all doors, windows and openings to be locked shut and alarmed with quick access to the battery if required. Simples!

Personally I had no idea what would need resetting or how to do it if I disconnected the battery so I connected the quick release connector without removing the battery connectors. Someone will probably point out a flaw in this plan but both me and the car are still alive!

thanks very much :thumb:

i'll have a lot around there this weekend.

Do you tuck the connector away before driving anywhere or is it ok to leave it poking out all the time?

It depends on how much you value your paintwork :D

Tuck it away since once the car is started you are in the clear.

Don't forget to unplug it before driving away as well :oops:

Cheers
Mick

I've been considering a CTEK for mine during the winter months when it can be weeks between runs out.

If possible I would use one of the power sockets though - so can anyone advise which (if any) are live all the time? I have the smokers pack along with the usual ones in the centre armrest and passenger footwell.
It's a 981 BGTS.

I connect to my Cayman through the cigarette lighter in the armrest area.

It works fine even when the car is locked and the ignition is off. I just leave the window open a crack to get the power cable through, so this might not be ideal if you leave your car outside of a garage.

I connect my 986 with the Porsche version of the ctek via the cigarette lighter socket and run the cable under the door seal. Works okay and means I can't jump in the car forgetting it's connected

I've ordered a CTEK MXS 5 complete with cigarette lighter plug and extension lead. My car is in the garage so I'm intending to use the cigarette lighter socket or one of the power sockets in the car and leave the drivers door window down a fraction for the cable. I think that should work but if it doesn't I will connect it direct to the battery.

The charger will also come in handy for topping up the battery on our Focus we use for local shopping runs etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back