Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSM Failure, ABS Failure, Drive off Assistant failure -

Ryad58

hi guys, first time posting on this site.

Tried to start my 997 tonight and got a whole list of error messages:
Drive off Assistant failure
PSM Failure
ABS Failure
Dynamic cornering light failure
Headlight beam adjustment faulty

A bit of background. I fired up the car on Sunday from cold. 10 seconds later I got a coolant level low warning message and the water temp gauge went to Red and started flashing. I switched off the engine straight away. Looked at the coolant tank, the level was indeed low.

I topped up the coolant today, it took around 3 litres (1.5lt of coolant, 1.5lt of water) and is now in the middle. I then tried to start the engine and that's when i got that long list of messages above and the engine wouldn't start. I can't easily check the battery fluid level, but all other fluid levels are in the correct range.

The car is an 08 plate, 997 Gen 2 C2S which I bought 4 months ago.

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem before? Any recommendation on what it could be? I don't know if the coolant issue was just a red herring or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you guys

Have you lost any coolant? Any evidence on the floor etc? If there's no trace outside its gone somewhere. Also I've never seen a water temp gauge shoot straight to red in 10s unless its completely empty or electrical.

Never seen those faults and it sounds 'electric' related so until its hooked up to PIWIS to interrogate the faults could it be water damage to ECU/Circuits under the seats :dont know:

One other thought what's the battery like - well charged and leads secure?

4 months old. When was the last service, who by (OPC or Indy dealer) and any warranty come with it.

997.2 are known to be a solid platform over the 997.1 but I would't advise driving it without some expert diagnosis

Good advice from Zingari. I didn't know you had a serious and sensible side Z ;-).

Welcome Ryad, I hope you find a good solution.

When was the last time you checked you coolant, cos 3 litres is a hell of a lot to be down??

As for the messages on your dash, could just be your battery that needs charging and the low voltage has triggered something. Did it struggle turning it over with the starter?

Also, have you had your battery disconnected??

If I remember correctly, page 263 of your owner's manual states something like:

After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.
This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:
1. Start the engine.
2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.
3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.
Have the fault remedied.
4. After the warnings disappear:
Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.

Take it for a spin round the block and that should clear it.

Jcx said:
Good advice from Zingari. I didn't know you had a serious and sensible side Z ;-).

I'm working here pro bono :nooo: If TPMS failure pops up or escaping air I'd welcome your involvement :thumb:

OP - Welcome aboard chum :thumb: Lots of advice here and start with the easiest - the battery.

thanks

Thanks guys. yep you all alluded to a flat battery and that's what i was thinking/hoping. And no, no evidence of a coolant leak, it's still at the level i left it at and no tell-tale puddles!

I called my dealer and he's convinced it's a flat battery too. It's just odd why I got those error messages, i guess it makes sense that the sensors need power, although the headlights and the internal lights and even the air con seems to work with the key in i suppose there is some charge in the battery, but not enough for it to turn over.

So I will jump start the car and take it for a long drive :D

I will do that on Saturday morning and i'll let you know how i get on.

One question though, I read somewhere that you should only jump start cars with similar sized engines....my misses has a 1.5. What do you think???

The messages are what i would expect with a flat/low battery .. those systems are all safety related and if the control units get approx 10 volts or less then messgaes will start to get flaged up . Things like a/c blower can still run on lower voltage as can interior lights etc.

There are other possibilites if its not a flat battery but no point listing them all untill a flat battery is confirmed.

The bigger problem is the coolant level , there is no way it could loose that amount without a leak , it may well not have lost any coolant after you filled it but you have not yet started and run the car to operateing temp.

I would advise jump starting the car and leave it running up to temp while you keep an eye out for leaks.

So how did you get on with the jump start ? Error messages gone ? Check your rads for leaks , the system will not displace any coolant until the engine is running and up to temperature . Ie pressure in the system.

Even before I opened thread I thought battery

As a Range Rover driver, it's comical how many errors it throws due to low voltage. Did it today as it happens.

Never had it on the Porsche

Get a CTEK and leave it on trickle :thumb:

Just wondering if this has been resolved? Was it the battery?

:hand: I also belong to a Land Rover forum any with a low post count and only joining to try to remedy a fault is given short shrift by the mods

Yeah manners cost nout. Trouble is the more ridicule the less likely he will return with an update.

Im sure he has a perfectly good excuse though F O R N O U P D A T E

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back