Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944S 2.5 16v resto then track project

Eldavo said:
All the interior plastics are available new from Porsche and for probably far less than used parts on eBay.

I've gone for used items in the end as OPC didn't get back to me and I've now found out why they had cracked, update later.

Eldavo said:
I changed both engine mounts on my car in the garage on axle stands, there is a write up on the PCGB website on doing it - it is different to Clark's in that you remove more bits first but is much easier and probably time-equivalent.

I've ordered one for the collapsed side but maybe I should do both, I won't be doing this job until next year.

Eldavo said:
The sound deadening was dropped on the later cars, so remove it completely. It makes a hell of a mess though so consider removing the bonnet and working off the car.

That stuff is crumbling to dust, not looking forward to getting to grip and removing it all.

Eldavo said:
When you get on to coil overs, re-indexing torsion bars and the like then give me a shout :thumb:

This is something I've not researched as yet and I know nothing if re-indexing the torsions, so I may be in touch.

Chief said:
Oooh Chris, I thought you'd be along with a project before long!
Looks the same blue as your 996?
Not sure I recognise that make of tyre :?: though.....

I shall be watching with interest :thumb:

It's took longer than I expected but I got something in the end.

The colour is a similar shade to my Lapis 996 but nowhere near as good looking, this is almost Navy blue and a little boring, I'm considering a colour change as the internal panels seem to be in really good clean condition and it wouldn't take much to change the colour. I'll paint the internal panels myself then prep the external and prime before sending it off to get done locally.

Tyre's are a mixed bag, the fronts are summer Khumo's and the rears are Winters of unknown name, they are all good condition and tread but will be going on ebay and will be replaced by something a little more familiar.

That looks like a whole bag of fun Chris. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.

MC

You can download the exploded parts diagram from Design911's website after entering your email address. Then use the Fast Part Finder on their website to get a there or thereabouts OPC price - some will pleasantly surprise you, some will make you gasp in shock! Quicker and easier than waiting for them to get back to you about every part requirement.

Eldavo said:
You can download the exploded parts diagram from Design911's website after entering your email address. Then use the Fast Part Finder on their website to get a there or thereabouts OPC price - some will pleasantly surprise you, some will make you gasp in shock! Quicker and easier than waiting for them to get back to you about every part requirement.

Thanks, I'll have a butchers :thumb:

EDIT, I've looked but can't find anything, I'm already registered with them but unable to locate any parts diagrams for the 944.

Thanks Eldavo, I've been looking through those parts diagrams.

Got a bit of a win on Christmas day, the digital clock is now fixed, from this,

to this, :)

New LCD screen fitted and working.

I also found out why the dash plastics had broken and the ignition surround was missing, I noticed when the steering lock is on the ignition barrel moves slightly up and down.

I've now stripped the dash down and located the ignition barrel clamp and can see that the clamp doesn't seem to be tight enough and as these are sheer bolts its impossible to tighten them any more than they are, so now it looks like I need to drill them out and replace with new bolts.

This week it was the first time I'd properly seen the underside and it seems the passenger side floor has been welded at some point and thanks to kas750 for pointing me in the direction of inspecting the rear of the sills through the door slam vents.
There is a little surface rust and flakes on the inner sides which I will waxoyl or similar and one the O/S rear sill has a rust hole (top left) I can get my finger tip in, I'll weld that up before treating the rest of the rust.

And a minor thing was that the strut nuts were all rusty, some worse than others but some new nuts solved that.

I also cracked on with getting to the engine mount to see if that was the issue with vibration and engine leaning.

Firstly I noticed that the power steering reservoir had been leaking for quite a while and had spewed enough over everything on the O/S of the engine and suspension to warrant a good cleaning, it had also bloated the ARB rubbers on that side. I've ordered a set of Poly bushes as this is the way I'll be going once all is up to scratch.

Bloated like a frogs neck.

After removing the ARB and power steering pump I got to the O/S engine mount and after tackling its rear bolt for about an hour it came loose and I managed to get the old mount out, it was fooked, I mean proper fooked, the rubber had sagged so much it was sitting on the bottom nut making it almost impossible to undo.

Manifold leaning on the chassis and was even rubbing on the steering rack.

The bottom hose had also been touching the power steering pump pulley, almost going through it due to the engine moving about so much.

It'll be like a different car with the new mounts fitted, I've got exactly the same problem with the 928 and new mounts ready to fit when the cars back from the body shop.
Have you got a wax oil pump with the probe? Best to use thinners to water the wax oil down and pump the oil along the sills, the pumps not expensive and screws on top of the wax oil tin.

The funny thing is I've only ever driven it around an industrial estate car park but I guess it will still be different to what I felt with the state of that mount.

I'll weld up and clean the rear of the sill then look into protecting whats left, I've not decided how yet.

Get your phone set to video with the light on and get your hand right down into the sill. You want to be looking back towards the front of the car to see how the rest of the inner and outer sills look.

Then get some Dynax S50 and get the wand right down the sill on a warm day and coat liberally. Have some cardboard boxes down under the sills as the wax will run out of the drain holes. You can then feed the wand up through the drain holes to get the front section of the sills that you couldn't reach from the door pillar opening.

It'll take a couple of hours to dry and will stink - you have been warned!

Thanks again Eldavo, that's a job for a couple of week away.

I've got the engine back sitting straight again with the new mount fitted and I moved onto the next job on my list, checking the cam gear, the belts both look in good condition but as has been said it's best to change them anyway and what I can feel of the pulleys, they feel good and look in new condition. I need to do a bit more research on the cam and balance belt change before I tackle them.

I was also wondering what the condition of the cams, tappets, chain and chain guide and glad to say that they are in really good condition, I'm guessing the guide pad has been changed at some point in it's life as it looks too good for 182k miles.

Unfortunately I snapped one of the long thin cam cover bolts in the head and it'll need to be wound out somehow, even though its tight between the cam end plate and cam belt cover. :x

I've tapped it with a hammer and WD40'd it ready for a go at it tomorrow, if all else fails I may have to weld a nut on the end of it.

That's a bit of bad luck! You could try a stud extractor and a bit of heat?
If the belts not cracked I wouldn't worry about it imploding! I was panicing about the 928 belt (10 years old) and when I removed it, it looked like new! But best to be on the safe side, I think the plastic chain guide is the weak point of that engine so it looks like your good to go :thumbs:

Got that broken cam cover bolt out today, I tried tapping it around with a small chisel, failed, tried hammering a 7mm socket on it, failed, so I got the MIG out and welded a 13mm nut onto it, spun out very easily. One more job sorted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back