Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How comfortable are the Boxster 987 seats? - lower back pain

BenB91

Nurburgring
Hello

I currently drive a 2008 Audi TT roadster, used to be my weekend car but it is now my daily driver. After driving for an hour or so, I suffer from lower back pain. So much that I will be forced to change cars.

So how comfortable are the Boxster 987 seats? Do they offer enough lower back support?

I test drove a Boxster 981 last year but can't remember how supportive they were.

For reference I am 5ft7 and 11.5 stone. Thanks.

In my experience, the 'electric' seats are better than the manual.

I always found them to be very comfortable in mine, even on long runs, but then I didn't have lower back pain as a consideration. Only way to determine if comfortable is to try out, I suppose. Heated seats may be of help too perhaps.

Mine is a Cayman S with comfort seats, I'm a stone lighter and a bit shorter than you and I find them pretty comfy.

My previous car, a 996 was not so comfortable.

Go for one with heated sports seats in black, then if you don't like them, we can swap :dont know: I took a liberty there didnt I :grin:

DaveH911 said:
I always found them to be very comfortable in mine, even on long runs, but then I didn't have lower back pain as a consideration. Only way to determine if comfortable is to try out, I suppose. Heated seats may be of help too perhaps.

I didn't have lower back problems before my TT, I think (hope) the car is the cause.

I have lower back pain from time to time and the electric seat (18 way) seats you can get have lumbar support which is adjustable. I'd recommend these as a minimum for requirement for you.

Getting in and out can be an issue with sport cars like these as thy are so low down.

+1 on the 18way seats. These are some of the most comfortable car seats I've used and I too am an intermittent suffer from back pain :-(

Getting the right seats in a car has become probably my number one requirement. That said, 993 seats are pretty good too and don't have any of the fancy adjustment capability you get on a more modern Porsche.

Another decent option are the electric comfort seats, full adjustability on the lumbar support.

I did over 1300 miles around Ireland over 7 days & felt fine.
That was in a 997, but the Cayman seats are the same I think.

Bear in mind I have had chronic back pain in the past & an operation in the past because of it, so am sensitive to the comfort levels of seats.

I suffer quite badly with lower back problems, but have not had a problem with my 987S with standard electric seats. It`s not a daily driver, but I have done quite a few 2-3 hour + journeys and always feel as fresh as a daisy when I clamber out of the door :thumb:

I`m 5'10 and 11.5 stone 32" waist and 42" chest, broad shoulders ( I`m told )
:lol:

You sort of have to slide your way into the car though, most undignified :floor:

Chum - You want 14-way or 18-way seats as they both have lumbar and front squab extension and ideally heated.

I have a bad lower back which is probably sitting too long at a desk :roll: and I now do a minimum of 2.5hr each way commutes when I'm out attending meetings. The daily driver (Audi) brought on sciatica which I've been able to manage but the crux of it is you need to get your hips higher than your knees which in a sports car with low seating is near impossible.

As an interim if you haven't got lumbar get a McKenzie roll and try that which I did but gave up and bought a Cayenne with 14-way comfort memory heated seats for commuting :floor:

Nothing wrong with having two Porsche in the family :grin:

I might suggest you consider this from another angle. Talk to a doctor and physiotherapist about your back condition and get it investigated to find the cause.

They can also give you advice on best seating position for the condition. For example, I see too many people with the back rest inclined so that their neck is tilted upwards and their face is looking up at the roof, the seat pushed far back with both hands straight and outstretched "reaching" for the wheel.

Even the angle of the seat cushion can influence driving comfort - for instance the amount of support to the under-thigh area above the knees.

Basic understanding of good posture may open up avenues for you - without ruling out a car and/or seat change.

cheshire911 said:
I might suggest you consider this from another angle. Talk to a doctor and physiotherapist about your back condition and get it investigated to find the cause.

They can also give you advice on best seating position for the condition. For example, I see too many people with the back rest inclined so that their neck is tilted upwards and their face is looking up at the roof, the seat pushed far back with both hands straight and outstretched "reaching" for the wheel.

Even the angle of the seat cushion can influence driving comfort - for instance the amount of support to the under-thigh area above the knees.

Basic understanding of good posture may open up avenues for you - without ruling out a car and/or seat change.

Yep good advice :thumb: Too much front cushion angle higher than the rear can give you back problems and the MC Hammer 'low sac' gangsta driving style just doesn't cut it.

What I've learnt is that there are very few secondhand Porsche on the market that will have the full option seats AND everything else you want unless you are buying the top of the range model and even then there are still optional extras :frustrated:

One reason we went for a new 981 was the basic absence of used ones with this option. It's possibly because the basic seats are already pretty good, but I expect mainly due to the nutty price. Don't know why Porsche can't offer just the lumber support option on its own :dont know:

Zingari said:
Chum - You want 14-way or 18-way seats as they both have lumbar and front squab extension and ideally heated.

I have a bad lower back which is probably sitting too long at a desk :roll: and I now do a minimum of 2.5hr each way commutes when I'm out attending meetings. The daily driver (Audi) brought on sciatica which I've been able to manage but the crux of it is you need to get your hips higher than your knees which in a sports car with low seating is near impossible.

As an interim if you haven't got lumbar get a McKenzie roll and try that which I did but gave up and bought a Cayenne with 14-way comfort memory heated seats for commuting :floor:

Nothing wrong with having two Porsche in the family :grin:

I gave this a go and my comfort has improved. However Saturday was a warm day, so I had the roof down. With this new seating position, I am sitting a few inches higher and could feel the wind buffeting on the top of my head.

Thanks for your input and thanks to everyone else for your views.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back