Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Double Din Fascia And Keep Cup Holder

I'm still waiting for one last part to finish the install, so Ive only used the head unit in the house so far (using a bench power supply). I'm using it with an iPhone and so trialled both the USB-Carplay and the HDMI-AppRadio/Mirrorlink modes. I was mainly interested in the latter for getting Waze access, which is not available through Carplay mode.

However, you have to go into settings and 'choose' which mode you want - you cant just enable both. And after a brief play Ive decided not to even bother installing the HDMI cable - I found the AppRadio/Mirrorlink mode awkward and buggy. Whereas the Carplay mode is really quite slick - especially with the voice command options, plus it only requires a simple USB connection. I bought a spare cubby shelf, and have mounted a double USB port in the back of it. Rest of the wiring was a doddle, once Id realised that the PCM1 BOSE amp uses the standard (amplified) speaker outputs from the brown ISO plug (strange, but true).

bo_duke said:
Looks good - dammit - you've made me wonder if I should switch my facia to put the lip at the bottom!
I presume you removed the plastic lugs on the back of the fascia (at the top), and then flattened the raised metal spacer tabs on top of the cage?

Cheers mate. Nope didn't have to remove the tabs, just put some high density foam at the bottom and bent the tabs down as far as possible. I have put some of that black mastic you get with speaker grills on the frame but its not really needed

Fascia other way up, for those interested...

Attachments

• sph_da120_112.jpg
    sph_da120_112.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 13,086
Looks great bo_duke!

what did you use to create the USB plug in the tray? Thats exactly what i'd want to do

Thanks Leon. Its just a double USB mount from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015SILFL6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I bought a spare cubby from Porsche. The rubber inlay is clipped in, so I removed it and drilled a hole for the USB mount with a cone drill. Then used a 30mm hole punch to put a corresponding hole in the rubber inlay, and clipped it all back together/installed the mount. The SPH-DA120 supports 2 USB ports, so Ive got one with a USB stick and one for the iPhone.

Only snag is that the USB stick is tiny so quite hard to reach in there with big hands (pugging in iPhone lead is fine though as its got a bigger plug).

That's great thanks for the tips! It's exactly what I was after, sounds easier to do than I thought it would be...you can literally buy anything online lol

You've got me wondering if I prefer it the right way up now bo :lol: :lol:

One thing I want to add to this thread is - the Appradio/CarPlay function on the head unit is terrible! The way the integration was sold to me was the head unit becomes an extension of your iPhone. It doesn't. The phone function works ok, the sound qualitys decent (ish), I can now use my iPod in the car but the Appradio is a waste of time. You can't use Google maps or Waze on the head unit which is disappointing. Oh and if you have something plugged in the USB lead, you can't use Bluetooth - it's one or the other which is a ridiculous idea. The only reason it's still in my car and not been returned is it was a screaming bargain....

Jamie© said:

One thing I want to add to this thread is - the Appradio/CarPlay function on the head unit is terrible! The way the integration was sold to me was the head unit becomes an extension of your iPhone. It doesn't. The phone function works ok, the sound qualitys decent (ish), I can now use my iPod in the car but the Appradio is a waste of time. You can't use Google maps or Waze on the head unit which is disappointing. Oh and if you have something plugged in the USB lead, you can't use Bluetooth - it's one or the other which is a ridiculous idea. The only reason it's still in my car and not been returned is it was a screaming bargain....
Shame.. I was tempted with the same unit as CarPlay doesn't support Waze or Waze doesn't support CarPlay!!

Jamie© said:

I thought you could use waze when you plug it in using the hdmi adapter and put it in app radio mode...is this not the case?

Leon1davies said:
I had the same query, wanting to fit a pioneer sph da120.

After a lot of googling found that this version from Amazon seems to be ok. Although it says it doesn't work with cup holders a lot of people have confirmed it does.. The only slight issue people reported is you get a bit of a lip at the top

Connects2 CT23PO02 Porsche 911 (TYP 996), 986 Boxster Double Din Stereo Fascia Fitting Panel Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GY79C0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_PqbvwbDCZJGA0

I'll be attempting to fit mine this week/weekend so will let you know how it goes

Leon, If you hit a problem contact "Ultimate in Car" in the new forest they fitted an alpine double din in mine and overcame both the cup holder and the top lip issue both happened but they overcame them and mine looks like a perfect fit and the cupholders still work.

The one issue I had when fitting an aftermarker double din was the cars wiring .I had read that non bose cars didn't have fibre optic cables but it seems that's incorrect some do some don't. mine did have fibre optics so I needed a m.o.s.t. interface kit see link below. They did get it to me within 24 hours when I called them with my problem and that sorted everything out.
hope this heads up saves you any hassle.

https://www.nav.tv/products/porsche-pcm2-21-head-unit-replacement-por-hur

Leon, I think Jamie fitted a different head unit to us. I am very happy with CarPlay so far, and got waze working via HDMI, though wasn't hugely impressed with app radio mode, so sticking to CarPlay/Apple maps at mo.

Phil the Connects 2 interface is the same as that but is £100 cheaper.

That's right bo I went for the X5700 as I wanted to retain the ability to play CDs. Don't get me wrong, the head unit is decent enough and is a HUGE improvement over the factory unit, I just think they've oversold the Appradio side of things.

Phil 997 said:
Leon1davies said:
I had the same query, wanting to fit a pioneer sph da120.

After a lot of googling found that this version from Amazon seems to be ok. Although it says it doesn't work with cup holders a lot of people have confirmed it does.. The only slight issue people reported is you get a bit of a lip at the top

Connects2 CT23PO02 Porsche 911 (TYP 996), 986 Boxster Double Din Stereo Fascia Fitting Panel Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GY79C0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_PqbvwbDCZJGA0

I'll be attempting to fit mine this week/weekend so will let you know how it goes

Leon, If you hit a problem contact "Ultimate in Car" in the new forest they fitted an alpine double din in mine and overcame both the cup holder and the top lip issue both happened but they overcame them and mine looks like a perfect fit and the cupholders still work.

That's good too know, couldn't actually find anyone local so the new forest is close enough to get too will give them a call when I'm back around

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back