Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944 turbo (SOLD)

Excellent Keith , a lovely looking car , i like those wheels my self and nice to have two Porkies from the same year , im sure that if her hooters are sagging you are the man that can put them right !.. roll on the 1st Dec.... looking forward to next spring when we will have your 944 and Ian's 928 out on the road together. enjoy the drive back :thumb:

Keith

Not as good as it was seeing your 964 breaking up the lunchtime traffic on the central motorway last Wednesday in the miserable weather ;)

Eldavo said:
Not as good as it was seeing your 964 breaking up the lunchtime traffic on the central motorway last Wednesday in the miserable weather ;)

I must have been in a hurry Dave :thumb:

Thanks Keith!

I'm not sure what Dave means about your driving on the central motorway, certainly between the Tyne Bridge and Cow hill it is rare to be able to drive above 45mph due to congestion. Unless, of course, all cars within 300 yards heard your exhaust and got out of your way as you went under Swan House? Come on, fess up, did you create a gap to the car in front and drop a cog as you entered the underpass?

I had a fascinating lesson from Jon Mitchell about the exhaust systems on 944 cars, normally aspirated and turbo. I concluded that trying to get a throaty exhaust on the turbo is only really beneficial when the revs are over 3.5k. Since the system is in sound condition, it's staying nice and quiet for the time being. Apparently, the most efficient system to deal with the turbo exhaust gasses is the Fabspeed system. It is a straight through 3" pipe with no silencers! It stays quiet due to the turbo effect until you get over 5k revs. Nice!

Cheers, Keith :mechanic:

Nice one Keith. Hope the work goes well and you should enjoy a great return journey home next week. Not a bad Christmas present. :wink:

Thank you kindly John, I'm hoping the weather is going to be favourable but we both know there is nothing I can do about that.

The return trip will be a steady 'endurance' trip rather than a 'let's have some fun' type of drive. Hopefully fault free and without any serious traffic congestion. I'll certainly feel more confident than I did driving to Dorset now that Jon Mitchell has waved his magic wand over the car.

You heading back up the M6 Keith ? , i always find it better than the A1 .. still congested but a much better drive and a lot more services.

WOW things happen fast around here, all since since your first post on Friday....Nice purchase keith ! Santa Claus has arrived early :thumb:

I hope you get much joy out of it. Have you considered putting a few miles on it around Dorset before you head up the motorway? It might reveal any bugs before you get too far north? Although from what you say about the chap who is doing the work for you, it looks like he know's his onions.

We're getting a "fleet" of 928's going with your's and Ian's. Looking forward to seeing them out with the group !

John H Porschekit Esq.

Hi Keith,

I'm very tempted by the M6 and share your views of it being a much nicer route. The only issue is that it will be approaching lunchtime before I set off from Ferndown Industrial Estate. The M6 option adds at least an hour to the journey time. The coin is still spinning on that.

Hi John,

Mine is a 944 not a 928. Both cars are from the same era and each with water cooled front engines. Only half the cylinders of Ian's car but the turbo makes a huge difference to me. This purchase is, of course, all down to my chat with Frenchy when we were all at the Lakes eating your missus's delicious cakes! It's all her fault!

I won't have time to do much Dorset area motoring as I want to get back on the same day. I have cycled in the area and there are some very pleasant areas.

I won't complain if the sun shines and Mr Frost stays away.

Keith, thanks for the correction...I blame doing work, eating lunch, sending emails and phoning people all at the same time....is it time to retire yet ? :grin: Enjoy, and looking forward to seeing it in the new year.....now where's my iPad...... :nooo:

AAS in Newburn made me a 3" exhaust to the same specs as the Fabspeed one but out of better materials, the Fabspeed backboxes aren't the best quality. Looks very OEM as I went for th same tip, etc. but it sounds brilliant, £550 fitted with a lifetime guarantee :thumb:

T'other Keith was stuck in the traffic too but his car broke up the drudgery of the usual euroboxes.

Thanks for the info Dave, I'm very interested.

I'll catch up with you soon to have a look (and listen) to yours if I can?

Did you have a long wait to get it fitted? How far forward does the system extend?

Cheers,

Keith :mechanic:

How did I miss this Keith?!

Congrats on the purchase, knew you'd be swayed after that chat in the 'Lakes :)

Fingers crossed we'll see her sooner rather than later (weather permitting of course!)

Enjoy :thumbs:

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I was willingly sucked into the vortex of 'it's all about the chase' even though I'm long enough in the tooth to know that is very much not the case. The negotiations were a bit challenging and the obvious difficulty of being 275 miles away did not help.

However, I did see enough to take the risk (caveat emptor) of buying. If I had been able to get a full ppi done beforehand, I probably would have passed this one. I'm biting the bullet to get lots of work done and hope the overall experience will not be a financial disaster.

It will probably take me 6 months to get the car up to the condition I want.

Wow!

Bad news or lucky escape? I had a call from JMG Porsche today to say that they were alarmed to find that whoever had put the cyclinder head back on had done so without the Woodruff key on the camshaft! The physical evidence suggests that they had taken the key out with a hammer and chisel!

So the bad news is the car needs a replacement camshaft. The only good news is that the engine did not self destruct on the journey from London!

I never cease to be amazed by the poor standard of work done by people who trade as 'professionals'. This may explain why the belts had been over tightened. I will be contacting the seller to see if we can agree an acceptable outcome.

Hey ho,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back