Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 C4 thicker rear sway bar mod

badlands

Montreal
Just got my car back from the garage where they swapped the stock 18mm rear sway bar for the C2 21mm one.

Instant difference driving back this morning, steering feels fair bit lighter (in a good way) than before - much closer to the 'go kart' response when cornering of the 993 C2 I had previously.

Not had a chance to test it at the limit yet but am at Donnington on Tuesday next week so will find out then how much understeer has been dialed out.

Anyone else done this mod to their C4?

:?:

Yep, top mod highly recommended, combined with polybushes at the same time. Great if you can find one second hand - mine was thanks to Boxey :)

big difference on the 89-90 cars going 18 to 21,
Seb is trying the change on a later car going 20 to 21, hope is that will also make a noticeable difference as changes in diameter are not linear in stiffness this is still a big difference.

Yeah I read that going 18mm to 21mm =.something like 85% stiffer, crazy!

I got the C2 bar off eBay from Germany for around £100

Yep..although I've done loads more. And I used H&R bars for the same effect. Used the rear bar (which is thicker than a standard C2)but left the original C4 front. Geometry makes a massive difference as well.

I think that's me in the pic on your signature... following at GOODWOOD in the Parade lap..

------------------------------------------
#27 - Adriatic Blue Lighweight C4
Cup Cams, Carbon Bonnet, Fibreglass Ducktail, RS Interior, RS Engine Mounts, RS Brake vents, Intrax Coilovers with solid mounts, Powerflex bushes, H&R Roll Bars, Sunroof Delete..for more detail:
www.number27.net

Follow me on twitter if you want to get latest updates on my articles and news:
@27number27

jack.pe said:
Yep..although I've done loads more. And I used H&R bars for the same effect. Used the rear bar (which is thicker than a standard C2)but left the original C4 front. Geometry makes a massive difference as well.

I think that's me in the pic on your signature... following at GOODWOOD in the Parade lap..

------------------------------------------
#27 - Adriatic Blue Lighweight C4
Cup Cams, Carbon Bonnet, Fibreglass Ducktail, RS Interior, RS Engine Mounts, RS Brake vents, Intrax Coilovers with solid mounts, Powerflex bushes, H&R Roll Bars, Sunroof Delete..for more detail:
www.number27.net

Follow me on twitter if you want to get latest updates on my articles and news:
@27number27

Hi Jack, yep I remember your car from Goodwood, looks great.

So I just got back home from a track day @ Donnington and although the handling is improved with the bigger rear bar, the natural tendancy of the car is still very much understeer. I'd also set my tyre pressure at 30 front, 39 rear. If you know that difficult first bend @ Donnington, it was v tough to not induce understeer...my instructor ended up recommending trail braking there to get more grip, which worked a treat.

Did you upgrade your suspension/lower the car too as well as geo? I don't want an oversteer machine like a C2 as i'm not experienced enough to control it...i like the safety net of the 4wd. But I do want to dial out the understeer....i guess i'm looking for a pretty neutral setup.

If anyone has recommendations, let me know! Def looking at getting the car lowered & bilstein pss10s at some point

Hey, yes, the car is lowered and has some pretty trick Intrax 1K2 adjustable shocks. Between the rear sway bar, geo and ride heiaght I'd say that the car does not really understeer much. Of course you can induce a little lift off oversteer but it seems quite gentle. I am going to convert to C2 though as i want to be able to adjust the line on the throttle and no matter how you set up a C4 that is just not happening.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back