Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another reason to switch off F1

As a whole I've enjoyed watching F1 this year, there has been some fantastic battle going on in the pack if not up at the front. Yes it's not what it used to be due to rule changes but it's been a long time since there has been real fight for the championship between teams and drivers. Can't say I'm a fan of fuel saving after all F1 is supposed to be max attack, not an endurance race.

Constructors won, Hammy champ all done already and hardly a challenge to either.

What's left to like?

wizard993 said:
Watch some in car footage from the Schumi Mansell and Senna days.....esp around Monaco.

They worked so hard, had ballcocks of steel and the steering wheels were alive in their hands. It was utterly gladiatorial and unpredictable. The teams took a back seat during a race. Man and machine were king.

That's missing and for many the above defined F1 and made it the best Motorsport in the world......not by its name but by its very nature.

The guys nowadays are going slower and the drivers car control is less dependent on driver input or skill......it is dull as dishwater.

Hamilton looks like he just got back from the shops after each win😃

F1 is broken but it can recover.

:thumb:

Your comparing old technology.

If people want to see close racing why not watch GP2 or V8 supercars. Like 1 second seperate the top 10. Formula 1 has NEVER been like that, there has always been dominant drivers and teams depending on exploitation of the rules and competitive advantage, that's the whole interesting scenario rather than technologically mundane close racing series.

Mansell and Williams, senna and McLaren, Schumacher and Ferrari. All dominant. Take off the rose tints.

Hands up who'd like to see an equalized field with all cars made my Dallara or Lola and all engines by Coaworth or Renault? Just a pure driver v driver championship? Totally contrived equal cars?

Any takers?

Thought not.

F1 is about driver/manufacturer combinations. What we need are less rules, more manufacturer involvement. Complete Ferrari cars va complete McLaren cars. Because above all we're car nuts

Forgive my rose tints but I yearn for a return to the pomp and spectacle, the noise, the drama, the danger, the rivalry, the villainy, the hissy fits, the brass balls and binned it brawls. A time when drivers fought the circuit, the weather, their team mates and more importantly their own cars as much as their rivals. The sport has become too sanitised, too predictable, too quiet and - I hesitate to add - perhaps too safe?

I want to see 12 laps of balls out qualifying with super fragile engines. I want v10s screaming at v12s down un-chicaned classic circuits. I want to see drivers wrestling tail snapping monsters, not knowing if their car will make it to the end of the lap let alone the race. I want PR-free rants from angry passionate drivers unleashed from their sponsor's chokehold.

Of course I'd never want a return to the bad old days where deaths and serious injuries were the norm (still far too prevalent even now) but please please please bring back some bloody excitement!! :pc:

chimp911 said:
Forgive my rose tints but I yearn for a return to the pomp and spectacle, the noise, the drama, the danger, the rivalry, the villainy, the hissy fits, the brass balls and binned it brawls. A time when drivers fought the circuit, the weather, their team mates and more importantly their own cars as much as their rivals. The sport has become too sanitised, too predictable, too quiet and - I hesitate to add - perhaps too safe?

I want to see 12 laps of balls out qualifying with super fragile engines. I want v10s screaming at v12s down un-chicaned classic circuits. I want to see drivers wrestling tail snapping monsters, not knowing if their car will make it to the end of the lap let alone the race. I want PR-free rants from angry passionate drivers unleashed from their sponsor's chokehold.

Of course I'd never want a return to the bad old days where deaths and serious injuries were the norm (still far too prevalent even now) but please please please bring back some bloody excitement!! :pc:

Well said Chimp! :agree:

e8_pack said:
wizard993 said:
Watch some in car footage from the Schumi Mansell and Senna days.....esp around Monaco.

They worked so hard, had ballcocks of steel and the steering wheels were alive in their hands. It was utterly gladiatorial and unpredictable. The teams took a back seat during a race. Man and machine were king.

That's missing and for many the above defined F1 and made it the best Motorsport in the world......not by its name but by its very nature.

The guys nowadays are going slower and the drivers car control is less dependent on driver input or skill......it is dull as dishwater.

If people want to see close racing why not watch GP2 or V8 supercars. Like 1 second seperate the top 10. Formula 1 has NEVER been like that, there has always been dominant drivers and teams depending on exploitation of the rules and competitive advantage, that's the whole interesting scenario rather than technologically mundane close racing series.

Mansell and Williams, senna and McLaren, Schumacher and Ferrari. All dominant. Take off the rose tints.

That's the problem the technology and silly regs have become too influential to the outcome of a GP. The drivers status in the time has diminished

This is strangling F1 to a slow death

wizard993 said:
e8_pack said:
wizard993 said:

That's the problem the technology and silly regs have become too influential to the outcome of a GP. The drivers status in the time has diminished

This is strangling F1 to a slow death

Its never been any different! Yet it still remains the premier Motorsport category. This is because of the tech, tech goes faster.

chimp911 said:

You just dont like change. There was probably a guy hating turbo cars in the 80s and hankered for the old cosworth days... Drivers these days are under much more scrutiny and public eye, their private lives becoming much more entangled in the sport so of course they are more careful, seeing Hamilton in the drivers cooldown area after winning the championship, then literally watching him party in the garage afterwards. We even recognise pit crews faces and their names, seeing more involvement with the engineers and teams like never before - the sport is more than just racing drivers, it always has been but never before have we had such access.

Personally i don't want to watch racing cars that are less sophisticated than my daily driver nor unreliable cars.

I actually quite like change, and am pretty sure that's what I was calling for :dont know:

We could pontificate ad nauseum about the relative merits of the current F1 set up versus days of yore but I doubt either can change the other's opinion.

If you actually like today's product then great for you and who am I to argue (there genuinely is no hint of sarcasm intended), but I simply cannot bring myself to watch a sport I once loved continue its descent into boring predictable and innovatively stifled irrelevance :nooo:

An analogy/simile, if you will - modern F1 is like 18 rounds of racing at the Hungaroring, only everyone has to keep the pit lane limiter on for the entire duration while we get 4 uninterrupted hours of stormtrooper's locker room footage :frustrated:

I agree that the cars are 'too easy' to drive these days but would make the point that the drivers nowadays are pure athletes whereas this was far less the case in the 80's for example. Even things like tailored diet and fluid formulas and intake during races are much more sophisticated and designed to help them maintain their condition in even the hottest race environments.

Simply put - a modern age driver would most likely handle 50 laps in Senna's car from a physical perspective better than racers of that era.

This has got nothing to do with driver fitness. It's about the daft rules and regs that are killing off a Motorsport that many have enjoyed over the years.

Even my 19 nephew who is a race loving petrolhead says F1 is pants.

I'd rather see a bunch of fat bar-steward's toughing it out on any given Sunday.

wizard993 said:
This has got nothing to do with driver fitness. It's about the daft rules and regs that are killing off a Motorsport that many have enjoyed over the years.

Even my 19 nephew who is a race loving petrolhead says F1 is pants.

I'd rather see a bunch of fat bar-steward's toughing it out on any given Sunday.

Missing the point completely. Lots of other formula's to watch, V8 supercars is all about the race so maybe your nephew should watch that, but it's a bit like watching women's football. Take a look at the big picture of F1.

Modern cars are just better and faster, i dont see how that translates into being easy though. The drivers have much more to do, much more to think about and a much faster car to drive. Watch Brundle drive the merc W06, he was utterly blown away by it; Hamilton just makes it look easy.

Ayrtons Wheel - 1988
MP4-4_1.jpg

Jensons Wheel - 2014:
MP4-29_2.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back