Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie: advice on 911 purchase

Navman13

Hi guys. I've had a nose around the forum and there are some great threads and great advice. My parents are looking to purchase a second car a 991, we have seen a few private cars for sale which we can hopefully view next week. Ideally we would have preferred a pdk as my mum will also be driving the car. There is one car in particular which has a very good spec but is a manual. I know it's a relatively new car but is there anything in particular I should be looking out for when viewing and any important questions I should be asking?

What is average clutch life on one of these cars and how often is a service due?

We do have a Porsche Boxster which was purchased privately a few years ago it had a few minor inexpensive bits to sort out but has been a great faultless car. Due to the fact the 991 is a considerably more expensive car and to be buying it privately I just wanted to make sure I miss nothing. Thanks guys,nav

:envy:

On a 911 as new as a 991 you don't really need to do anything other than check that the service history matches what Porsche recommend.

iirc servicing is minor, major, minor ....... every 2 years.

If you can get a car that's got invoices for anything else that's been done it's a bonus.

Clutch life will be similar to previous 911s but no-one can put a mileage on it as usage varies tremendously. i.e a car used for mixed journeys will need one in a fraction of the miles done by a car that is used primarily on motorways.

Be aware that the manual box in the 991 has been widely criticised, even by 'the purists'. Have a good test drive before parting with any cash. If in doubt do what most people do and find a PDK.

Good Luck

ps. :welcome: to 911uk

Thanks T8, why is there such mixed opinions on the manual box vs pdk surely it can't be that bad, I haven't personally driven one but I have driven a brand new Boxster with manual whilst ours was in for service and I absolutely loved it, I know it's a totally different car but if the 991 can give a similar/better driving experience to the Boxster I drove then I'm all for.

In this instance it's not a PDK v manual preference thing.

The 7 speed manual in the 991 has been criticised by many (not all) fans of manual boxes on the basis that it's not as good as on previous 911s.

The 6 speed box in the 981 Boxster/Cayman is a peach. :thumb:

Manual 991's are very difficult to sell
My advice especially for a lady would be PDK
More economical than a manual
Quicker gear change
Faster than a manual

Pre purchase inspection at a Porsche dealer is £220, essential on a private purchase

I do have 2 beautiful 991's
Both hi spec
Both with Porsche extended warranty
And both inspected by Porsche
Apologies for the advert ,

Hi mark, my only concern with the manual would be how my mum finds the clutch and gear change so I would want her to go for a proper drive before we make up our minds.

Regarding the two 991's you have available I have come across both cars on auto trader and piston heads although they are great cars with great spec they are a bit out of our price range, thanks. Nav

Im on my 8th Porsche now and here is my 991 advice.

Don't get one without PSE, Sports Chonro.

I would strongly recommend PDK but its up to you, manual is very hard and slow to sell on.

Resale without Bose will be a bit harder.

Full leather is important (in my view)

18 way seats are nice to have.

I would go for a S but its up to you.

If a car has a warranty value it at about 1k per year.

I have a very high spec GT silver one for sale look in the classifieds

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back