Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Compression and Leakdown Tests

This could have been as exciting as air pressure in the tyres :dont know:

Jcx said:
Hi All,

I've had my car in for a major service this week and I asked the garage to do a compression test and a leakdown test so that I could have a better understanding where the 63K mile engine is on the "Oh its a 964? Rebuilt the engine yet? Throw it away then!" curve.

So, i'll post results when i get them but until then, for a bit of fun, where would the numbers have to fall to make you:

A). leap for joy as you have a great engine
B). thank your lucky stars for years of rebuild-free motoring
C). start saving for a rebuild in the next 10-20k miles
D). start crying at the thought of rebuilding next year
E). start praying for a lottery win this year
F). start drafting the for sale ad tonight

Specifically i am looking for PSI numbers for the compression tests and leakdown % for each cylinder.

i.e.

A). leap for joy as you have a great engine - 220PSI & 5% loss
B). thank your lucky stars for years of rebuild-free motoring - 200PSI & 10% loss
C). start saving for a rebuild in the next 10-20k miles - 180PSI & 15% loss
D). start crying at the thought of rebuilding next year - 140PSI & 25% loss
E). start praying for a lottery win this year - 120PSI & 35% loss
F). start drafting the for sale ad tonight - 100PSI & 45% loss

HI Jcx,

Good timing on this subject as I have been contemplating the possible scenario of negotiating price of a car, if after a PPI being done the compression and leak down tests comeback with figures in your category C and D.

I want to ask where does your PSI and % figures come from (i.e. newbie ) :?: ? And would a figure of betwen 9K-14K GBP be a reasonable figure for negotiation?

Thanks.

Hi Mister!

For the A-F numbers below I took data found from other people's tests to create a spread from great to god-awful.

I had the tests done by Dove House and I just got the final numbers this past week in a written report.

Compression:

Cylinder 1 - 201 psi
Cylinder 2 - 200 psi
Cylinder 3 - 205 psi
Cylinder 4 - 198 psi
Cylinder 5 - 200 psi
Cylinder 6 - 204 psi

Leak Down:

Cylinder 1 - 7%
Cylinder 2 - 7%
Cylinder 3 - 8%
Cylinder 4 - 8%
Cylinder 5 - 8%
Cylinder 6 - 7%

I suspect you should expect to spend £3K to £10K for an engine rebuild depending on where you go and what you have done. It's a big price range which you could easily double if you go 'all-in' with some of the rebuilds that some folks on here have done but they no longer have a 'standard 3.6l engine'.

Assuming you will need the engine doing there may well be many other components that are past their best. What about the body work too? Plan for £5K - £15k for a respray - again depending on condition and quality.

There will be others on here who will be quick to offer opinions on price and quality... many will be better qualified than I... some will just think they are ;-)

Good luck.

Thanks for the information, it is good to know I am in the right price zone. I have already spoke with Tony, at Dove House regarding a possible PPI. Tony was really an honest bloke with some candid replies and was overall well impressed.

Thanks and I will need it - in the luck of the draw!

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back