Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

918 accident in Malta car show for charity event

eyecandy993

Not really 993 related but I was there in mine.
A pleasant day at a yearly car show event for charity turned sour. A Porsche 918 of a private owner who also brought over a La Ferrari, a Lotus F1 and a Koenigsegg, slid sideways crashing into spectators injuring 26, 5 of which are in danger of loosing their life. I like cars but fortunately I was not keen on watching quickly disappearing super cars down a runway so I moved away from the area and sat back in my 993 at the Porsche Club Malta section. A family member of one of our members was among those seriously injured
Two links to the local news below.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/article...car-crash-community-chest-fund-to-help.586977

http://www.timesofmalta.com/article...ally-as-supercar-crashes-into-crowd-at.586975

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Spyder-supercar-spectators-rally-Malta.html

2D15B05F00000578-0-image-a-24_1443985226917.jpg

Terrible - that's Paul Bailey's car. Was he driving?

Sorry to hear of this dreadful accident. Let's hope everyone pulls through.

rottenbend said:
Terrible - that's Paul Bailey's car. Was he driving?

Yes they belong to a certain Mr Bailey. The news report only mentioned 'experienced driver' . There is a youtube link in one of the news reports which shows an enthusiast who paid for a ride in the 918 before the actual lap with the incident. It shows the driver. Don't know if that is Mr Bailey but his wife and daughter were present and in one video clip the lady is assisting the head bandaged driver.

Must be tom Bailey found this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...essman-buys-3m-Holy-Trinity-of-supercars.html

Looks like it was PB driving and he indeed a very experienced driver, lets hope all pull through.

Met him at vmax in april. Such a shame. Proper car nut. That will take a lot of getting over for everyone involved unfortunately.

The crash looked quite catastrophic unfortunately :cop:

The last time I was at an event like this, Prodrive in Warwickshire, there was a guy dressed as the Stig giving paid rides in a Supercharged Atom, his speed and slide coming off the last corner and into the "pits" was utterly ridiculous given that the spectators were protected by a rent a metal fence tied together with "do not cross" tape.

The raw video of this crash shows exactly the same sort of protection :nooo:

whoever was driving was going way too fast for the 'safety fencing' and crowd safety in that area, unless of course the driver thought Armco barriers where there?
But i suspect showing off gone wrong is the culprit, could happen to anyone?? So, if your driving at a similar event please think of this awful outcome and drive for the situation/safety barriers for crowd protection, that is in place on the day.
drive safe,
my thoughts are with the injured.

Horrible incident and my thoughts are with all concerned........must say I'm surprised at the level of crowd segregation at such events especially in lieu of recent crowd/Marshall incidents at rallying and even the pedestrian on circuit at Singapore............Having attended a few 'Supercar' events in the UK and witnessed some near miss incidents with poor driving ( not suggesting that was the case here at all ) these events need to be better regulated.

Looks like a wheel got on the grass and there she rode !!!! Nasty

ColinC said:
Horrible incident and my thoughts are with all concerned........must say I'm surprised at the level of crowd segregation at such events especially in lieu of recent crowd/Marshall incidents at rallying and even the pedestrian on circuit at Singapore............Having attended a few 'Supercar' events in the UK and witnessed some near miss incidents with poor driving ( not suggesting that was the case here at all ) these events need to be better regulated.

Tragic and it makes my skin crawl thinking about it, given similar events I have attended with my family.

But, its probably more dangerous walking along the pavement by a road.

There is an assumption of risk in events like this, it has to be up to visitors to make their own assessment of risk and decide whether they put themselves in danger.

Robertb said:
ColinC said:

Tragic and it makes my skin crawl thinking about it, given similar events I have attended with my family.

But, its probably more dangerous walking along the pavement by a road.

There is an assumption of risk in events like this, it has to be up to visitors to make their own assessment of risk and decide whether they put themselves in danger.

You are probably correct, the likelihood of being hit by a car walking down the street will be higher but the outcome of being hit by a vehicle at a high speed event is far more severe................most people would think twice about standing at the side of the M6 on mass watching traffic thunder past at 'normal' sppeds.

Not sure if spectators had to pay for this event but pretty sure the organisers will have some sort of duty of care..........is it likely that driving a high performance car at speed on a track you could lose control....well yes.......should you ensure spectators are not in the way if this happens - absolutely.

That looks nasty, lets hope all recover well..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back