Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Tesla- would doors work?

Robertb

Yas Marina
New Tesla model X 'SUV' launched-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34399888

Whilst I can see where they are coming from with the gullwing rear doors and easy access, what happens if you are parked in a very tight space?- you would not have a chance of opening them. Watching the video (22 secs in), the doors require a good few inches of clearance to the side to swing up. Why not engineer it so no clearance at all was required?

Also, what if the car is on its roof after an accident?

If the space is that tight you probably couldn't get out anyway!
I assume you can operate the doors slowly to check for clearance, or perhaps they have sensors on them.

MC

Hmm, interesting. If you bought shares a couple, of years go and got out now, you'd make a nice profit. Certainly the big investors have done well. But the last twelve months is a bit up and down. This company doesn't look like its getting anywhere near to making a profit yet. I don't know, I'm not convinced. There isn't any long term reliability record yet. One significant techno glitch and the brand could die instantly. The big established players creeping in carefully, not trying to be the leaders but happy to be early adapters and perfectors. A fascinating one to watch. The iPhone of the car world or the myspace of the car world?

I suppose the profit bit is not such a big deal as its a long game, and R&D expenses going through the books, plus investment in road charging infrastructure. Also, profit or indeed sales rarely seems to be an issue for any 'new economy' stock...

The new Porsche Mission E looks fascinating too- looks like a serious competitor rather than 'me-too' e or hybrid versions of existing cars, if it makes production unscathed.

Electric vehicles are game changers in my view not just because of the eco bit, but the performance and packaging. A Tesla Model S makes any modern saloon seem like the Ark. Flat-earth brigade still goes on about the range anxiety though, says EV's will never catch on.

MisterCorn said:
If the space is that tight you probably couldn't get out anyway!
I assume you can operate the doors slowly to check for clearance, or perhaps they have sensors on them.

MC

Correct.

The doors have ultrasonic sensors on them (which incidentally work through the metal of the bodywork without the need for unsightly pucks). The car works out the ideal trajectory for each door individually combining the optimum articulation of each hinge on the door. You can apparently open the doors in spaces that you could not open a normal door.

At the launch they showed that you can open and get into the car in spaces you could not even use a sliding van door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back