Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Mission E: 600hp 4 seater electric future concept

Porsche News

Porsche's turbocharged 911 Carrera might be Porsche's most significant Frankfurt launch, but its Mission E concept could pave the way for both future electric sports cars and – given its door count and passenger layout – the next Panamera.

MissionX-1.jpg

Porsche calls it a 'coherent design of a sports car with an electric drive and all of the traits that make up a Porsche.'

That means styling clearly influenced by Porsche's most recent products, including the facelifted 911 and hints of 918 Spyder. It also means a healthy 592bhp output from two electric motors, similar to those of Porsche's Le Mans-winning 919 hybrid LMP1 car.

Mission E

The Mission E is a four-door sports car, with a shocking new 600bhp all-electric 800-volt sports car concept, that will lap the Nurburgring in less than eight minutes. - a bit like a squashed Panamera, but with a stealthy swagger that turns heads. Especially in its matt white paint job with white and black alloys and neat detailing such as a full-width LED lighting bar for rear lights. And those rear doors are suicide hatches, revealing a 2+2 cabin. But don't go mistaking this for a 911 (despite that echo in the rear window line)... this is an entirely new kind of Porsche, one to challenge Tesla and other EV upstarts.

MissionX-2.jpg

How quick is the Porsche Mission E?

Porsche claims the Mission E will pass 62mph in 'less than 3.5 seconds', dashing past 124mph in just a dozen seconds. Top speed meanwhile will be 'more than 155mph'. Four-wheel drive keeps both motors' torque in check and the 911's four-wheel steering features too for agility that would surprise most four-seaters. Composite construction helps keep the centre of gravity very low.

Time to recharge? Less than quarter of an hour for 80% charge with a new type of rapid-charge, claims Porsche. Chief Matthias Mueller refers to refuelling like 'fast pit stops,' a reference to the Le Mans 919 hybrid sports car's experience at La Sarthe where Porsche won in 2015. 'We wouldn't have been able to develop this car so quickly without the 919,' he added.

Take a peek inside the Porsche Mission E, too: there are clever new holograms for certain instrument functions - and you control them using 2015's most popular new trend, gesture control.

MissionX-3.jpg

Electrification: a big trend at the Frankfurt Motor Show

The Mission E is destined to enter production - Porsche is keen to cement its reputation as the technical tour de force in VW's performance division. There's no better way to put Tesla back in their boxes, you sense. 'We will build a purely electric sports car,' Mueller confirmed at Frankfurt.

Volkswagen overlord Martin Winterkorn pledged the group would launch 20 more electric or plug-in hybrid models by the end of the decade. And with cars like the Mission E queuing up in the launch bay, who are we to argue?

MissionX-5.jpg

Tesla-matching range

Range is quoted as over 311 miles on one battery charge – close to that of the similarly-powerful Tesla Model S P90D – while fast charging facilitiates an 80 per cent charge in only 15 minutes thanks to 800-volt charging.

That's double the voltage of existing chargers, but the firm also claims the it allows for lighter, smaller-gauge copper cables. The system remains compatible with standard 400-volt quick-charging stations, while wireless inductive charging has also been implemented.

Another similarity to Tesla Motors' ballistic electric saloon is Porsche's placement of the batteries, which run the whole length of the Mission E's body, between the axles.

This is beneficial for weight distribution and keeps the centre of gravity low – ensuring Porsche can continue to exercise its expertise in handling. The company hasn't revealed a weight figure – one of the Model S's downsides – but a mix of aluminium, steel and carbonfibre-reinforced polymer should minimise mass. Rolling stock too is light – the 21in front and 22in rear wheels may be imposing in size, but all are made from carbon.

MissionX-6.jpg

Styling and interior

The styling should come as less of a surprise than the car's dynamic attributes. Forms are very much inspired by those of the 911 and 918 Spyder, with matrix LED headlights and Porsche's characteristic four-point headlight signature. At the rear, the slight overlap to the luggage compartment cover references the similar treatment of the 911 GT3 RS's engine cover.

Less conventional are the counter-opening doors, which reveal access to the four-seat cabin without obstruction from a B-pillar. Little of the cabin will reach production – in a road-going Panamera or otherwise – but the Porsche cues are still there, from the simple three-spoke steering wheel to the bank of five circular instruments ahead of the driver.

MissionX-7.jpg

MissionX-8.jpg

MissionX-9.jpg

At the same time, these instruments aren't analogue, but virtual representations on a curved OLED display. Functions – Connected Car, Performance, Drive, Energy and Sport Chrono – put all the relevant information at the driver's disposal.

Changing functions is also innovative, tracking the movement of the driver's eyes and responding to a button press according to whichever dial the driver is viewing. A parallax effect keeps all dials in view even if the driver isn't sitting directly in front of the wheel. Mirrors too are virtual – images from cameras in the front wings are displayed in the corners of the steeply-raked windscreen.

Several interior functions are operated by gesture, rather than touch, while Porsche has taken another leaf from Tesla's book in suggesting the car's functions could be updated overnight.

While Porsche calls the Mission E concept an electric vehicle with Porsche values, the car's form could be seen as a strong indication of the next-generation Panamera.

The current model has always suffered derision over its appearance, so it's likely Porsche will refine that appearance with the next model – and take greater cues from the latest 911 in the process.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mission-e/international.aspx

Attachments

• missione_07_179.jpg
    missione_07_179.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 17,315
  • missione_06_152.jpg
    missione_06_152.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 17,315
  • missione_05_593.jpg
    missione_05_593.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 17,315
  • missione_04_138.jpg
    missione_04_138.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 17,315
  • missione_03_198.jpg
    missione_03_198.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 17,315
  • missione_02_214.jpg
    missione_02_214.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17,315
  • missione_01_180.jpg
    missione_01_180.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17,315
Wow, great write up and what a statement vehicle concept...

Quick view:
1. Love the front
2. proportions look a little unbalanced front and rear of A post
3. Clever how they have incorporated a 5 dial look to the instruments
4. That open flap charger will never make it to production - an accident/damage waiting to happen
5. Unless I missed it - no mention of weight :bandit:
6. Rear looks a little too clean

Porsche at their best - showing us what we WILL want before we know ourselves....just think Cayenne...now they are all at it...

All IMHO of course :wink:

PS Im not saying Iwant a Cayenne...but the market does...

Looks fantastic. Been admiring the rear three quarter view on the website banner.

Pillarless doors. Nice. As pioneered by the Mazda RX8, good to see it making a reappearance.

Tesla Model S packaging it brilliant though- it looks very swoopy and yet is very practical.

I wonder how much of it will make production. Either way, it augurs well for the next Panamera.

Now that is what the Panamera should have been, but with a petrol engine....!!

Absolutely beautiful looking concept ....let's hope it makes it to production , but a Hybrid at least ....

It all looks good to me but I agree with the charger arrangement isn't a good idea....!!

Terry

PS.. I bought a Cayenne..!

Great machine.....!!!!!

Terry

Asides from the 80% charge in 15 mins, there's nothing here that Tesla haven't done (and surpassed) already. Kind of shows you how far ahead of the game Tesla are.

But having said that, the charge time of a Tesla is a significant barrier to long distance travel so this is a very important improvement.

Can I have a black one please?

all electric must mean air-cooled right :bandit:

i like it. i like it alot :thumb:

I think the front looks fantastic. Most Porsche front's are a bit bland, 997/991/GT4/Cayman etc. Even the 918 spyder. Not a lot to write about the headlights since the 996. But these ones have real design to them and I think this could be as much a preview of a future 911 direction as a Panamera.

If that's the future then I'm keeping my 997 fora very long time...

Breath-taking design, outstanding job Porsche!

I'm really excited by this concept. I have a 993, but I'd love to have one of these parked next to it as my daily. I just hope it's comparatively (for an all-electric car) light, and that they manage to capture something of the Porsche "experience" in the drive. That will be key I think: it needs to excite, and The heart of a sports car has traditionally been its engine: how does that translate in an electric car? Tesla impressed many journalists by its super performance and silent drive: something he journos were really impressed with, but a competitor to the Tesla S now needs to figure out how to differentiate the drive. Porsche need to engineer a great drivers car, by reimagining the future of the Porsche drive difference. These are fascinating times!

I'd be curious to learn more of their plans for charging stations and infrastructure. Will this be a painful car to own in practice? The Tesla proposition's appeal is partly in their investment in charging infrastructure across Europe.

I look forward to reading more about their technology behind the drive of this car. Using the Tesla's performance kills the battery and hence range. Will you be able to really drive the Porsche in a spirited way and enjoy a useful range?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back