Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GTS - Naturally Aspirated or Turbo charged

Andy787 said:
Hi guys,
Im in a similar situation..I ordered at new GTS back on 1st june I think it was, lured with the promise of a july/aug build with 1st sept delivery..

Imagine how surprised and delighted I was on august 15th when they phoned me up to tell them that it had been delayed until oct/nov build, i.e. nov delivery at best..they had offered me such a derisory sum for my current car I had sold that privately 2 days previously...hence I was without transport..I asked if they could provide my with a courtesy car to bridge the gap or sell me used with a good buy back in nov, both declined....so having mulled it over I thought sod them and cancelled my order and had my deposit refunded....spending over 100K I expect better. I had to go out and buy another car to get around, bought a used Cooper S which is a lot of fun..

So either there never was a july build or they used my slot for someone else...

Anyways, every cloud and all that..I can now wait to see what the new GT/GTS is like and have one of those instead!!

Ha! Good call - And here's the reason why guys - busy bees tooling up for a festive presents for other buyers buddy...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106162

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry for not responding sooner, I haven't been getting email updates for some reason.

So, I've just had an email from Porsche telling me that tomorrow is D Day. I have to say one way or the other or I'll lose my slot.

With the Frankfurt motor show on, I was hoping for an announcement but nothing yet. This is really going to the wire ;-)

I must admit, having deliberated over this for so long and with all the positive encouragement from you guys I think I'm going to go for it regardless. I was asked about spec above so here's a copy and paste from the configurator:

Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
Side skirts painted
SportDesign package
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
PASM sports suspension (20 mm lower)
GTS interior package
Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (VTS)
Silver instrument dials
20-inch 911 Turbo S wheels, painted in Black
Rhodium Silver Metallic
Black Alcantara Package GTS in Rhodium Silver conjunction with GTS interior package
7-speed manual transmission
Telephone module
Light design package
ISOFIX child seat mounting points on front passenger seat
Smoking package
Belt outlet trims in Alcantara
Sun visors in Alcantara
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated

Have I missed anything guys?

And I'm gonna try uploading an image but it never seems to work for me...

I thought I'd also run by you my logic for believing that the GTS will go turbo next time around.

The commercial purpose of the GTS is to give buyers an incentive to buy towards the end of a model's life. I've seen it described as the "Greatest hits album" of the current model. They do it, I'm told, to keep the cars selling right to the bitter end. That's certainly the case this time around as it was with the 997.2. So, it makes sense that the GTS edition of an entirely turbo range will have to be turbo as well. Otherwise, they will lose the main weapon in their arsenal to keep the 991.2 moving out of the showroom in the lead up to the 992's launch (or whatever it will be).

That's not to say that there won't ever be a "Special Edition" or another "GT" designation that is naturally aspirated but, as for the GTS, I would now be surprised to see it naturally aspirated in the future.

I realise there is a lot of guess work here but what do you guys think?

I'd add Cruise Control to the spec' list.

My opinion is that the 991.2 GTS will have Turbos and like previous GTS models it will be the highest base spec & most powerful Carrera in the range.

:envy:

courtthree said:
What about manual v PDK? Right choice?

Only you can decide that. :D

There will always be those that insist on a manual gearbox so resale won't be an issue but I suspect that 90% of buyers will go for PDK.

courtthree said:
Cruise control noted mate!

Definitely get cruise control- I've used it a hell of a lot.....
most useful when doing 50mph in your 190mph 911 through the M25 variable speed limit :nooo:

courtthree said:

My tuppence for what it is worth .......

Right decision to go with 991.1 GTS over a 991.2 3.0 litre S, simply because the small turbo engine needs to prove itself and also because a gen 2 GTS (whether NA or turbo) is at least 2 years off.

In terms of transmission, PDK with sports+ is a must - you will kick yourself if you don't. :roll:

I would splash out on ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). I have CC on my current car and regretting not going for the ACC.

You may also consider Online Services. Although in the current setup it is almost useless, there may be an upgrade that will make it worth while.

I forgot to add it to my car and have emailed Porsche RE the retrofit, still waiting for the answer.

Belt outlet trims in Alcantara - Did not think about that, missed it completely.

DRZ911 said:
courtthree said:

My tuppence for what it is worth .......

Right decision to go with 991.1 GTS over a 991.2 3.0 litre S, simply because the small turbo engine needs to prove itself and also because a gen 2 GTS (whether NA or turbo) is at least 2 years off.

In terms of transmission, PDK with sports+ is a must - you will kick yourself if you don't. :roll:

If two years off, makes no sense waiting as the new 911 is due out
2018. e.g. Like buying a 997.2 GTS. Great car btw...

At this point it could be anything. They will swap and change to make it hard to know. Looked like a standard Carrera to me although I'm sure it's not.

Well, it's definitely a turbo charged car in my opinion. But there isn't much there to convince me that it's a GTS. It doesn't have black headlights, it has a standard front apron and the black engine cover is now standard across the range. The only hint is the centre locking black wheels but that's a bit tenuous.

Would love to think this is the new GTS though (confirmed my order on Wednesday last week for November delivery BTW)...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back