Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retro 996's

Niall996 said:
The law of unforseen repurcutions and all that!

You'll need one of these to answer that particular question:

series_5_papercraft_tardis_by_gfoyle.jpg

:thumb:

Or get it on the high speed bowl at Millbrook and see? :dont know:

New996buyer said:
Niall996 said:
The law of unforseen repurcutions and all that!

You'll need one of these to answer that particular question:

series_5_papercraft_tardis_by_gfoyle.jpg

Although to be totally honest, I don't think I'm personally going to be challenging the laws of physics or the outer envelope of ducktail versus standard anytime soon, or in my lifetime.

Niall996 said:
New996buyer said:

Although to be totally honest, I don't think I'm personally going to be challenging the laws of physics or the outer envelope of ducktail versus standard anytime soon, or in my lifetime.

That's a shame as I've always wanted to meet a Time Lord :sad: But I'll settle for someone who writes great posts! :grin:

But testing it is not beyond us organising on here. Lot's of technical know how (er, not mine of course, but Dynomike, McBit etc) and some time via our existing contacts via here could get us some time at Millbrook. All we'd need is the equipment to measure downforce and 'jobs a good un' :thumb:

Niall996 said:
However.....what would the impact of putting on a ducktail instead of the existing professionally engineered design? Would there be aerodynamic instability? Sudden catastrophic loss of back end grip. Noticable drag? The law of unforseen repurcutions and all that!

Its been discussed before regarding this on here and ph. The general consensus would be no/speeds we would be doing. Dont forget Porsche stuck one on the 997 as well and RUF did an RGT with a ducktail (but based on the old school one) for the 996

Theres 2 styles out there, old school or sports classic (new style). Design 911 are meant to be getting one but everytime ive spoken to them about it, they know sweet FA about it and its always coming in next week.

The Getty one after import tax isnt that much cheaper than the RPM carbon and RPM are willing to do deals on theirs as well. The one from Custom could be cheaper pending on the style as dont forget you need the extra wiring harness and painting.

Im slowly retro'ing mine, taking inspiration from the 964RS. All i need now is the ducktail spoiler and itll be done

I certainly am be coming a big of the retro look and the fuchs :thumbs:

Niall996 said:
However.....what would the impact of putting on a ducktail instead of the existing professionally engineered design? Would there be aerodynamic instability? Sudden catastrophic loss of back end grip. Noticable drag? The law of unforseen repurcutions and all that!

I'm only guessing but I would be surprised if you noticed any impact on aero whatsoever. Might change engine bay cooling a bit but probably not drastic as long as you still have the vent built into the tail

I must say I love the look of a retro 996 but I'd like to buy a second car and do it properly (stripped out etc)

Quite impressive that the ducktail reduces lift by 50%.

I have an early 997 and am slowly going down this road.
Engine rebuild done, booked in with centre gravity in November for ohlins coilovers to be fitted.
If I am happy with it all at that stage then some 18" fuchs and rpm carbon ducktail also under consideration.
Not sure if I am brave enough for the full carrera side script - but that would complete the 72 RS look..... Which is deep joy in my eyes.

Also got some thoughts about more interior alcantara....

I love Fuchs. They are awesome wheels. But I'm not convinced they improve the looks of a 996.

They're better on aircooled cars in my opinion.

rob_p said:
I have an early 997 and am slowly going down this road.
Engine rebuild done, booked in with centre gravity in November for ohlins coilovers to be fitted.
If I am happy with it all at that stage then some 18" fuchs and rpm carbon ducktail also under consideration.
Not sure if I am brave enough for the full carrera side script - but that would complete the 72 RS look..... Which is deep joy in my eyes.

Also got some thoughts about more interior alcantara....

e-needpics.gif

I think that red 996 in the video is an interesting concept but personally the proportions are wrong with the front bumper indicators and grill.

I put far too much thought into this than whats heathly before i bought my C4S!

I was thinking about getting an early 996 and going down a similar route. Start by cutting as much weight out of the car as possible, then add ducktail spoiler, centre exit exhaust with a smoothed bumper, Fuchs alloys and then either have the exisiting 996 front end made to look more retro by highlighting the bright orange amber indicators etc.

Or doing a 997 front end conversion, so that you ended up with the more classic circular headlights but the narrow body of the 996 to add to the classic 911 formula. Again having orange amber indicators to add to the retro look.

Either way the colour needs to be suitably retro as well so a non metallic Grey, Green or off-white would do nicely + some retro stickering decals.

Interior - centre console delete, a classic Momo replacing the airbagged wheel, a set of Recaro pole positions with the centre's trimmed in houndstooth cloth and a balsa wood gearknob would finish it off!

Just thinking about a project like this has made me tempted to changed the C4S!

kel176506 said:
I think that red 996 in the video is an interesting concept but personally the proportions are wrong with the front bumper indicators and grill.

I put far too much thought into this than whats heathly before i bought my C4S!

I was thinking about getting an early 996 and going down a similar route. Start by cutting as much weight out of the car as possible, then add ducktail spoiler, centre exit exhaust with a smoothed bumper, Fuchs alloys and then either have the exisiting 996 front end made to look more retro by highlighting the bright orange amber indicators etc.

Or doing a 997 front end conversion, so that you ended up with the more classic circular headlights but the narrow body of the 996 to add to the classic 911 formula. Again having orange amber indicators to add to the retro look.

Either way the colour needs to be suitably retro as well so a non metallic Grey, Green or off-white would do nicely + some retro stickering decals.

Interior - centre console delete, a classic Momo replacing the airbagged wheel, a set of Recaro pole positions with the centre's trimmed in houndstooth cloth and a balsa wood gearknob would finish it off!

Just thinking about a project like this has made me tempted to changed the C4S!

You've just described exactly, almost to the word, what I'm doing with mine! Watch this space!

kingston said:
Niall996 said:

Its been discussed before regarding this on here and ph. The general consensus would be no/speeds we would be doing. Dont forget Porsche stuck one on the 997 as well and RUF did an RGT with a ducktail (but based on the old school one) for the 996

Theres 2 styles out there, old school or sports classic (new style). Design 911 are meant to be getting one but everytime ive spoken to them about it, they know sweet FA about it and its always coming in next week.

The Getty one after import tax isnt that much cheaper than the RPM carbon and RPM are willing to do deals on theirs as well. The one from Custom could be cheaper pending on the style as dont forget you need the extra wiring harness and painting.

Im slowly retro'ing mine, taking inspiration from the 964RS. All i need now is the ducktail spoiler and itll be done

Any ideas on what sort of discounts can be negotiated with RPM?
Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back