Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 2016 Gen 2 991 Carrera revealed with all Turbo line up!

New996buyer said:
:eek: wow...........love it. Need to get some GT3RS intercoolers and a new exhaust on mine pronto if I want to keep those whippersnappers off my heels! :driving:

Ragpicker, you might need those defibrillator paddles handy for the 993 brigade :eek:ld: with yet another substantial leap forward for them to deal with.......? :wink:

The GT3 doesn't have intercoolers dear boy with it being N/A and all that! But then I'll forgive a slip of the finger just this once! :grin:

This is the first time since the 981 was released that I've actually considered buying one new from OPC. I normally can't stomach the depreciation so always buy once this has been eliminated...

I was wondering about the exhaust config too, I much prefer the two pipes closer together, I think that looks ace!

Oh, N996B, I don't even think the defib would work on the 993 beardy brigade with this new technology.... We might have to resort to Cheshire911's smelling salts! :floor:

So would that engine fit in my 996? If so I will have a car that is faster than the 996 turbo without the ugly air intakes ;)

MJA911 said:
gred said:
gred said:
I'm a bit confused by the three different exhaust configurations. The base Carrera has the rectangular ones, the 'S' the twin outlets on either side, so what's the 'S' version with two outlets closer to the middle - is that an option? Certainly looks the part.

Answered my own question - sports exhaust is an option on the S. Configurator working on porsche.com, should have looked first :?

Glad you answered that, I was just about to ask :oops:

These look awesome machines, being a 991 fan I'm now hopeful that these puppies will help the prices of all those 991.1 that people trade in for them to come down a little faster than they would have done. Selfish I know.

+1 another selfish one here! Doubt the 991 turbos (err big turbos lol) and the 991 GTS will fall that quick mind.....

Winny911 said:
So would that engine fit in my 996? If so I will have a car that is faster than the 996 turbo without the ugly air intakes ;)

It's where I store my packed lunch :dont know:

ragpicker said:
New996buyer said:
Need to get some GT3RS intercoolers and a new exhaust on mine pronto if I want to keep those whippersnappers off my heels!

The GT3 doesn't have intercoolers dear boy with it being N/A and all that! But then I'll forgive a slip of the finger just this once!

I'm such a numpty - I meant 'GT2RS'..... :duh: :oops: :coat:

That is one ugly steering wheel mind you!

might be the pics but it somehow looks longer and stretched almost a 2 door panamera sort of look if that makes sense :?

within 6 months of these coming out some tuners will have these upto silly power I bet

Well as a 993 owner maybe I don't get it but it looks even bigger and fussier than ever and what's the point of the turbo now?

From the rear their are so many different lines and details, the vertical lines on the deck lid look wrong and it's so high.

Porsche seem to be going further away from what built the cars reputation. Electric steering, PDK, turbo's. increased size and weight.

Surely they could have used some of the lessons learnt from the 918 simplified it and gone hybrid. Slightly smaller flat 6 engine with small electric motors for torque fill and emissions and kept the weight roughly the same, something like a i8 but with a proper engine. If BMW can do it why not Porsche ?

It's no doubt very fast, comfortable and a great all round car but a 911 ?

I actually like it alot.. except that rear lip above the exhaust . If they had just continued with the natural lines of the bumper instead of making it look like it's got something stuck on it would be perfect :cloud9:

38mpg? when they said all 911 would now be turbo's I didn't realise they ment turbo diesel :?: :lol:

Can't see current 991 GTS prices taking a big dip- many folk would rather a 3.8 NA engine than a 3lt turbo.....

Porsche has to move with the times, or there would be no Porsche. The 911 remains massively more practical and cheaper than the rest. You have a car that can return over 38 mpg, and 0-60 in around 4 seconds, unthinkable figures even in the recent past. The styling is more angular, the same as all VW products have gone recently. I think they have achieved as usual a different but at the same time the same looking car, which is an improvement over the last, I think the arse end just looks 'right'. The turbo was inevitable, 3 litres and still 6 cylinders, personally IMHO it's a winner, and will significantly affect 991.1 prices, as with all 911's it's better than the last, bigger and realistically it's not going to be bought by the purists.

996lee said:
might be the pics but it somehow looks longer and stretched almost a 2 door panamera sort of look if that makes sense :?

I agree. I think it is a bit ugly, especially the built in BBQ rack above the engine. The two central exhausts just remind me of a VW Beetle. I'm liking my 'individual' 996 headlights even more now.

It will go like stink though and 38mpg?!!!!! Mega.

Not at all unpredictable - I believe the bosses had already admitted to this a few months ago but I could be wrong - unfortunately it's progress.

Personally I like the design. I like the gen1 991 too but I think this is nicer in most aspects. Those centered exhausts look the part! The only bit I don't like as much is the engine grille... If only the car would be narrower and shorter...

3.0L Turbo... well it can't be bad, if we've learnt a few things over the years is that Porsche's engineers know how to develop a good engine and chassis (example Q5 vs Macan). So if anyone can do a turbo flat 6 that somehow relates to the larger N/A it replaces it's them.

What also comes to mind is how easily (cheaply) a Carrera could be turned into a Carrera S. Or more generically how much more potential will these have for tuning houses?

And what on earth will they have to have on the new Turbo to maintain the gap in performance that currently existed between Carrera and Turbo?

I think the car is just pure dripping gorgeousness! And technically incredibly exciting. It's an amazing new chapter in a long glorious history. And still utterly 100% what 911s are all about. Brilliant, beautiful, fast, practical, robust, grown up.
Looking at the pictures what strikes me visually and what is the essence of the 911 is that fantastic driving position. Right bang smack in the middle. There's something in that aesthetic that really appeals to me, being equidistant from the from bumper and the back. It's so different to the numerous front engine iterations where the driver is far back near the rear wheel. It just looks so balanced. A set up resulting from the two back seats and rear engine ingenuity of the original classic design.
We've had water coolers for going on three decades now. I can understand the shock to the system among 911 fans at the time with the big switch in 97/98 but that is such a long time ago now. The water cooler era has forged its own evocative history now with a rich mix of fantastic unsurpassed road cars, stunning track GT's and all conquering turbos. And ongoing racing success to keep the legend current. And never have Porsche faced such incredible competition from so many as they have in the modern era and still they reign ever more supreme.
A Porsche ethos that is content to tick along living off the past and pandering to a narrow retro community would have been a boring disaster. Charming, nostalgia like Morgan but probably a dead memory by now. And even worse, the world would have been denied some of the greatest motoring wonders ever to see the light of day. Thank God Porsche kept their consumers at the heart of what they do and continued to strive to be the best. I always enjoy reading the interviews with Porsche engineers and the authentic passion and real world common sense they exude. It's what makes Porsche such a cool car company to me. Almost paternal in their own inner belief of what their about and understanding of what the 911 is meant to be at any point in time.
Sure, there'll always be that persistent cabal complaining of something being lost (usually without ever driving the new evolved version). It has happened with every generation and is part of Porsche folklore at this stage but the solution for these people is always there, if you want an old classic experience, buy an old classic. If you want a NA water cooled you have almost twenty years of models to choose from. But Porsche needs to forge ahead and make new legends.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back