Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2.4S Spec Engine Disaster

porscheuk

Took my 1972 S spec to Brands track day and ran a bearing. Took car to Tower Bridge Porsche in London, who charged me GBP 10,000 for an engine rebuild.
1500 miles later the engine destroyed itself. Consensus of opinion by two of the UK's best engine builders is that Tower not only used the wrong Loctite, but put far too much on resulting in the excess falling into the crankcase ,blocking oil passages and destroying the engine. Estimated cost of repair is just under GBP 30,000.

Tower want to recompense by providing their labour. Not likely!! Litigation proceeding. What a disaster.

Any others experienced shoddy workmanship from Tower, or am I the only unlucky one?

Sounds like a nightmare, any Porsche engine builder worth their salt should know the correct sealant compound and not be using too much or at least not to let it squeeze out internally, the results can be catastrophic as in your case. But one good thing is it always leaves the evidence behind when you strip the engine. I always use Loctite sparingly for this reason, you don't need much anyway.

Would you trust them to rebuild it again? Who is paying for the parts and did you get a warranty with the rebuild?

10 grand for an engine rebuild and now 30 grand for another rebuild....Someone is making an awful lot of money out of repairing Porsches...

:welcome:

First posts are normally better news than this!

I suppose you are also paying the cost of London premises!

What's the parts cost in the £30k? Seems a lot.

As Pete says, not the best first post ever....
Every engine builder has their preferred methods but this clearly is a case of poor workmanship. I just can't stand this "We'll provide the labour and you cough up for the expensive bits" If you are at fault you sort it all out! :evil:
I stand by my products and wouldn't bail out if it went tits up, so should they....Rant over, good luck and keep us posted.

2.4 S engine

Unfortunately Towe Porsche deny any responsibility despite overwhelming evidence of their negligence.
The quote for an engine rebuild was from Canford Classics and included £4500 for a new crankcase, £3300 for the rebuild plus the replacement of camshafts, rocker shafts, valves ,pistons, oil pump,oil lines, crankcase work, etc. Basically to replace every part of the engine plus £5000 in VAT.
In the end I gave up and got Nick Fulljames of Redtek to supply and build a 3.2 Carrera engine on Weber carbs with a 964 cam for half the price.
The good news is that it pushes out 250 BHP and goes like an absolute rocket!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back