Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GTS - Naturally Aspirated or Turbo charged

Exciting times Mark! 3rd September? I bet you are beside yourself?! Out of interest, did you manual or PDK and, which ever you chose, why?

My main concern for this generation GTS isn't that the next one will be "better" as such. The next gen is (arguably) always that. It's simply about the turbo/NA debate. I do want something special and the best of the last NA 911s is a piece of motoring history!

I must admit I am really tempted to say, "what the hell" and get it anyway but I also must admit that I would be much happier knowing it really is the last of the dying breed.

Oh yes! I also opted for a factory collection and will be picking it up from Zuffenhausen on the 25th of September.

I went for the PDK. I never actually considered a Manual transmission as PDK is faster, more economical, easier to use and... I maybe have forgotten how to drive manual as my last two cars had automatic transmission or... maybe I am just not, as TheGetawayer said, a very good driver or :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EYoqggEM4

Here is the link to my though process on buying a Porsche and the final specs: New 911 GTS or used Turbo / S?

Well, this is the difficult one. Unless you can get some "inside" knowledge, buying a GTS now or waiting for the 991.2 GTS is a gamble. I may be wrong but the GTS always was the creme de la crà¨me of a particular 911 generation and therefore I would not expect Porsche to release 991.2 GTS straight away, maybe in a year or so. At least this is what I AM betting on.

I'm surprised you didn't get the opportunity to drive the 991 in manual form. The shifts are very good, the clutch is well weighted and above all its fun!

The 991 GTS automatic is very good, its a shame the 991 GTS in manual form is as rare as rocking horse manure as there is one on pistonheads for sale and Chris Harris seems to have the other one in UK.

Having driven a brand new Golf R automatic I can surmise the next version of the 911 automatic will be even better as the shifts in the VW are much quicker than the 991 automatic and they have put the paddles very close to the steering wheel for even quicker gear changes.

I had to go to the test track at Silverstone to get a go in a manual (only one my dealer could find). I definitely preferred it but I am old school like that. I have a manual 997.2 C4S right now and I've always found any auto to be less interesting to drive.

I couldn't notice the 0-60 difference but I admit, the quoted 3.8 seconds for the PDK in launch control makes it VERY appealing.

I also hadn't thought about the GTS not being released for several months. That is good on the one hand but also bad in that I may not get a definitive answer in time to finalise my spec.

I'm still completely undecided.

If you like the manual, buy the manual!

The difference in 0-60 is academic as even most track days do not allow timing in UK.

Hi Dragonmeister,

We've gone off piste here a little. While I am undecided on PDK v Manual, the real question is around whether the new 991.2 GTS will be turbo or naturally aspirated. Have a quick read of the thread (if you have a few minutes) as I would really value your opinion on it.

Hi courtthree,

I read this article:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...911-facelift-no-turbo-engines-911-gts-and-gt3
...and got completely confused about what is going to happen to the GTS. I almost cancelled my order and transferred the deposit onto the new gen car...

I then contacted all the possible sources and got a hint that "the (new) GTS will be powered by the new turbo engine" and potentially will be announced in the second quarter next year.

Think about what GTS really is... GTS is a 911 Carrera GTS and therefore should be considered as a highly spec'ed up Carrera with extra power from the Power Kit and special interior / exterior features. Yes, someone may think it is something between Carrera S and GT3, and that is correct performance and comfort wise BUT it not a GT car, not a GT2.5 or, more likely (considering the track version of Cayman is called GT4) a GT3.5.

It may still be the case that we are buying a dying breed, a piece of history.

I am keeping my order.

Hi Mark,

That link is the online version of the printed story published on the 5th August that prompted this post in the first place. It's the same magazine and same author and it's still the ONLY source of this story.

I have contacted him via Twitter and he is adamant that he is correct.

Porsche GB will not confirm or deny which makes me think it's got some legs. I am not being pushed for a final decision just yet (October build slot) so I'm going to wait and see but I must admit that I am a) seriously rethinking and b) seriously ****ed off!!!

The big gain you'll find (almost for certain) is that the "new" GTS (if it remains NA) will be considerably more expensive in my opinion. I can't see it's base price being anywhere below 100k and with extras you won't be able to get in a high spec one for less than 125k. With your massive spec, you're probably saving at least 20k by sticking with it.

I 100% agree with you about the price as when I discussed my options with the dealer, I have been told that the new gen cars will be more expensive.
Although the new options like rear wheel steering, active front spoiler, front axle lift and the infotainment system sound nice, I don't want to wait another year to get them (on a new GTS).
When time comes and new GTS gets released whether as NA or Turbo, I will check my upgrade options and act accordingly.

Not to mention that I will have a lot of fun driving my GTS for a year!

You'll never be unhappy with the current GTS. It's a weapon!

I am really torn and I'm just not sure how to proceed.

courtthree said:
You'll never be unhappy with the current GTS. It's a weapon!
I am really torn and I'm just not sure how to proceed.
As you rightly said, you still have time to make the decision BUT would you be able to get more info on the next (new) GTS when Porsche launches the new gen? Most likely this will be the case and you will be able to me an informed decision.

Just found a second source for the story here:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...-4-wheel-steering-450-hp-power-kit-99147.html

I doubt I'll be able to get pricing info on the new GTS in time for it to colour my decision. And will it be available in 7 speed manual, the GT3 isn't?

I know I'll love the car regardless so maybe I've just got to go for it but, on the other hand, it feels like such an expensive purchase should be made with absolute clarity - not hesitation and twinges of disappointment.

Thank you courtthree,
Yes, it is a lot of money and you will be losing a substantial portion of them as soon as the car is off the forecourt.

I seriously doubt Porsche will keep GTS as NA as by doing that they will be creating a new model, in addition to Carrera and GT3. The emission regulations will be pushing them the turbo route.
I sincerely hope you will be able to get more info when Porsche launches new gen on the 19th of September and make a decision.

I am a bit pressed for time and don't want to wait another 9-12 months for the new GTS.
Life is too short to wait for "better" things, "Better is the enemy of Good"...

courtthree said:
I had to go to the test track at Silverstone to get a go in a manual (only one my dealer could find). I definitely preferred it but I am old school like that. I have a manual 997.2 C4S right now and I've always found any auto to be less interesting to drive.

I couldn't notice the 0-60 difference but I admit, the quoted 3.8 seconds for the PDK in launch control makes it VERY appealing.

I also hadn't thought about the GTS not being released for several months. That is good on the one hand but also bad in that I may not get a definitive answer in time to finalise my spec.

I'm still completely undecided.

Go for it ....get the manual GTS and enjoy it! It's a truly fabulous car .... fact .. and that will not change, I drove one at Silverstone in both Manual and PDK and thought it was outstanding. Car experts the world over can't fault it. I would buy the manual as I find PDK too much like driving my powerful everyday saloon that has a 8 speed sports box / paddles.

I'm certain it will be a decision you won't regret - get that order in!

What spec are you looking to go for?

Hi guys,
Im in a similar situation..I ordered at new GTS back on 1st june I think it was, lured with the promise of a july/aug build with 1st sept delivery..

Imagine how surprised and delighted I was on august 15th when they phoned me up to tell them that it had been delayed until oct/nov build, i.e. nov delivery at best..they had offered me such a derisory sum for my current car I had sold that privately 2 days previously...hence I was without transport..I asked if they could provide my with a courtesy car to bridge the gap or sell me used with a good buy back in nov, both declined....so having mulled it over I thought sod them and cancelled my order and had my deposit refunded....spending over 100K I expect better. I had to go out and buy another car to get around, bought a used Cooper S which is a lot of fun..

So either there never was a july build or they used my slot for someone else...

Anyways, every cloud and all that..I can now wait to see what the new GT/GTS is like and have one of those instead!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back