Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Field Find - '87 Carrera - Worth buying/ Value?

Buy it yourself!

Then you can have five cars you are planning to restore.
:thumbs:

clarkycat said:
Buy it yourself!

Then you can have five cars you are planning to restore.
:thumbs:
Couldnt live with a soft top Porsche! :nooo:

ragpicker said:
Have we any pics or further info on this little gem yet?

Not yet! I've arranged to go and see it in a few weeks as I am out of the country at the moment :). I've got a date of October 3rd. I'll post back some pics once I've seen it :).

Still looking for thoughts on likely value, even as a breaker? I was thinking £2-3k but unsure of parts value for one of these.

markey164 said:
ragpicker said:
Have we any pics or further info on this little gem yet?

Not yet! I've arranged to go and see it in a few weeks as I am out of the country at the moment :). I've got a date of October 3rd. I'll post back some pics once I've seen it :).

Still looking for thoughts on likely value, even as a breaker? I was thinking £2-3k but unsure of parts value for one of these.
As a breaker, due you intend to break it yourself? If so it will require a lot of time and effort.If the car is complete,you always have the Ebay option.It will make at least 10k as a project.All imho.
Ive just bought an 86 3.2.It has a fair bit of rust.in fact they ALL do.Its just it only becomes apparent when it becomes visible.
I paid 15k for the car.I really wanted it fr 12k.That wouldnt have bought it though.Having said that ill be tearing it apart and starting again.

Hi all,

I finally managed to view the car today. It turns out it is a Targa not a Cabriolet, and it is also Turbo bodied which was an unexpected bonus. The car appears to be watertight, but the locks were seized so we couldn't get in.

Overall the car is in better condition than I expected although obviously it has the usual areas of rust, and is in need of a lot of TLC, very possibly a bare metal restore. No idea what the floor is like which is my main concern. I will assume worse case scenario if i can't confirm otherwise.

Anyone know what wheels these are, and the colour? I've not seen either before.

I'm told the owner paid the bill for some work, but asked to store it on the land where the garage is, then never came back. I get the impression he isn't short of a few quid. We're told the car was in perfect working order when it was parked up by the chap who worked on it. I have the owner's number so am going to give him a call to see if he is interested in selling and what sort of figure he has in mind. i'd really love to save this before it turns into a pile of rust, but obviously the price has to be right to even consider it.

What sort of figure would you offer for this as is? Bearing in mind it was parked up 5 years ago, and has been standing ever since.

A few pictures below and a link to the album for a few more

911 TARGA ALBUM
http://s168.photobucket.com/user/markey164/library/911 SC Targa

2420%20Large.jpg

2427%20Large.jpg

2418%20Large.jpg

The wheels are made by Azev. They were popular in the 90s. They are aftermarket wheels. The Top Gear Episode when they all buy the same convertible 3 Series BMWs, Hammond's car has the same wheels on it.

As for the car, I can't believe it was left like that outside. It looks better than I expected but these cats are known for the rust underneath. Even cars that are kept well and look immaculate have hidden rust I've read. You are taking a big gamble if you buy it. You need to get it on a ramp and look underneath. You also need to find out if the engine turns, even hand cranking it.

1201wheel2.jpg

It looks a lovely colour, whatever that is.

It looks like £8-12k's worth of car to me when you consider what is likely to need to be done. That rear end under the ducktail and along the rear bumper looks in the photo to be either mould or rot, or both. Possibly indicating the scale of the job in hand.

I would be amazed if there wasn't significant rot on the underbody if its been parked there for 5 years too.

However this is something which I would love to get my hands on too, so if the money works out and you could potentially break even between what a minter is worth and what it would cost to make this one into a minter, then go for it!

It wouldnt take much to have it looking mint from the shiny side up, but its the unseen tinworm which is the issue....

The good news is it's a wide body. You'd be advised to check that wide body is genuine and not a 1990's set of fibreglass wings? It's called a Supersport if it is (I think? Someone else will correct me on that if I'm wrong :grin: ) But if it is that's a desirable and rare thing. The other good news is all the body panels you'll need are available.

The bad news is that unless you're very lucky you'll need lots of those panels. I think you're looking at significant rot around the inner sills, kidney bowls, front and rear bulkheads etc etc.

£6-8k would be my price as it'll likely be in the body shop for some time.

Good on you though and good luck. Looks like a fascinating project :thumb:

New996buyer said:
£6-8k would be my price as it'll likely be in the body shop for some time.

Spoken like a true Scot... Always erring on the lower side :grin:

Seriously though, its anyone's guess what its value should be I think. Its not like there is a good guide to follow for old rusty cars which need doing up :dont know:

Would love to know what the owner thinks its worth... They will probably still remember it when it was pristine and loved... lets just hope they don't look through PH and think its worth what they are going for! :eek:

looking at the photo album pictures it has rot in all the usual places sills, kidneys,wings round the window and those targa windows are a ***** to put in and out some strange aerials one in the wing shouldnt have one there and one on the hoop ? you will need very deep pockets to sort that car unless you are handy with a welding torch.

another tight Scot not worth more than £8k (Try pricing a set of turbo wings and a set of fuchs)

I would buy and then flip it around and let it shatter someone else's dream.

New996buyer said:
The good news is it's a wide body. You'd be advised to check that wide body is genuine and not a 1990's set of fibreglass wings? It's called a Supersport if it is (I think? Someone else will correct me on that if I'm wrong :grin: ) But if it is that's a desirable and rare thing. The other good news is all the body panels you'll need are available.

I did wonder if it was a Supersport. However, according to my research, a Supersport has Turbo brakes, which can be identified via the Calipers which are fitted to the rear of the hubs. On this one, the calipers are on the front of the hubs, suggesting this isn't a Supersport.

The 2nd observation, if you look closely at the front wheel arch, you can see a raised join, where it looks like the flared arch was attached to the original wing. I could be wrong, but that tells me this is an aftermarket conversion. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Is original more desirable than the Turbo look, considering the Turbo look (body and ducktail) has already been done on this car?

I am seriously tempted to go for it, but it all depends what the owner thinks it is worth. and I suspect that is going to be too much. We shall soon see :)

markey164 said:
I did wonder if it was a Supersport. However, according to my research, a Supersport has Turbo brakes, which can be identified via the Calipers which are fitted to the rear of the hubs. On this one, the calipers are on the front of the hubs, suggesting this isn't a Supersport.

The 2nd observation, if you look closely at the front wheel arch, you can see a raised join, where it looks like the flared arch was attached to the original wing. I could be wrong, but that tells me this is an aftermarket conversion. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Is original more desirable than the Turbo look, considering the Turbo look (body and ducktail) has already been done on this car?

I am seriously tempted to go for it, but it all depends what the owner thinks it is worth. and I suspect that is going to be too much. We shall soon see :)

Nice one as you're well ahead. :salut: So it's not a SS, in which case it's an '87 Targa. Targas are rarer but less desirable. A decent baseline 3.2 Targa could be in £30's/£40's by now, by which I mean one where the bodywork is cosmetic and all the welding has already been done, but it still needs light restoration. So I guess then this car needs to be the sum of the purchase price plus restoration adding up to the same as that I guess?

Clearly you're doing all the right due diligence. But can you keep your head and heart separate when it comes to the decision!!? :?: Good luck with that bit :thumb:

kas750 said:
I would buy and then flip it around and let it shatter someone else's dream.

harsh....

funny though.... :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back