Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I track it?

NXI20 said:
This E92 isn't too modified & still makes a good fist of it with a 7:36 BTG :wink:

Thats a cracking lap, you can really see how the dual clutch tranny is saving bags of time. Damp track too nicely highlighting the rceing line :D

isysman said:
T8 said:
isysman said:
Tracking cars is only a recent thing. When the 996 GT3 came out there was no such thing as track days.

:eh!: :?

I did track days in my Triumph Dolomite in 1982.

What's your point? All the race tracks that do this now never used to offer it then like they do now. Maybe there was some exceptions but generally it's a recent thing.

My point is that your statement above is wrong.

In 1982 I used to pay £6 for a 10 lap road car session at Brands Hatch and (although I never did them) I knew that several other circuits provided the same facility.

It was a new concept then ....... 33 years ago !

There's no doubt that the 92 is a very capable car but it's just not as fun as my GT3 to drive. I've spent £15k on modifications and nowt on the Porsche. Different league altogether.

I see three options:

1. Continue spending on the M3.
2. Punt the M3 and track the GT3.
3. Punt the M3 and go more track focused or even a lighter e46.

I managed to get a lap with Moran (M3 GOT). He's doing 7.3x's and he's recently spent a lump on the car converting it to LHD and cage plus clubsport suspension. The car is unbelievable but more so the driver. He's also done away with the air con. The car is fun, but it's not nice to sit in. I'm not out to set times, I'm there to have fun and times will follow. I want to be reasonable comfortable in the process.

A final option, a bloody expensive option at that, would be to buy another GT3 997.1) and use that as a track car but really that's probably just bloody daft to save the paint on my Gen2.

ETA: I've only removed some interior on the 92 and with new seats it's weighing in at around 1540kg. My CSL is 1380kg and not sure on GT3.

Without fuel and driver GT3 will be about 1400kg. As a car its far far closer, as standard, to being a very capable track weapon but you can still spend shed loads on tweaking one quite easily!

Senoj said:
Without fuel and driver GT3 will be about 1400kg. As a car its far far closer, as standard, to being a very capable track weapon but you can still spend shed loads on tweaking one quite easily!

If you need any ideas Bryce, I have 2 pages of A4 listing the tweaks on mine. 1 line simply says "bigger engine" :floor:

I'm all for the YOLO concept but I wouldn't regularly track your GT3 at the Ring (other tracks, yes). Too many crazy people there (some of them in GT3s) and an oil leak from someone else's car can wipe you out.

Insurance is expensive/impossible and the value of these cars will stick in the back of your head. All things considered you'd probably have more fun in one of the well set up rental cars on semi slicks.

OP it's a bit like not having sex with your girlfriend so that you don't ruin her for the next bloke :)

ELA said:
OP it's a bit like not having sex with your girlfriend so that you don't ruin her for the next bloke :)
Awesome !!!

The E90 M3 is a good car but it needs to be stripped out. Roll cage and the most important a good set of suspension and other bits to make it handle better.
Plenty at the Ring at the moment and they fly !
E46 was better. Better handling and lighter.
Take the GT3 to Spa or Silverstone GP any track with some good run off and enjoy it !! They are amazing.
Take the Bimmer anywhere !

I know you are an experienced track driver but how about doing a track day where there is an instructor who knows how to get the most out of the GT3. e.g. Derek Bell or other drivers of a similar calibre sometimes do track days and give advice/tuition. I realise it is expensive if something goes wrong so getting advice from someone who is experienced will pay dividends.

With your track day Insurance you will find it does not cover everything so the best Insurance is avoiding putting yourself in a situation.

No disrespect but if current Formula 1 drivers and Grand Prix riders get tuition then there is potential for us all.

The Dragonmeister said:
I know you are an experienced track driver but how about doing a track day where there is an instructor who knows how to get the most out of the GT3. e.g. Derek Bell or other drivers of a similar calibre sometimes do track days and give advice/tuition. I realise it is expensive if something goes wrong so getting advice from someone who is experienced will pay dividends.

With your track day Insurance you will find it does not cover everything so the best Insurance is avoiding putting yourself in a situation.

No disrespect but if current Formula 1 drivers and Grand Prix riders get tuition then there is potential for us all.

Very well said. 8)

bryce said:
There's no doubt that the 92 is a very capable car but it's just not as fun as my GT3 to drive. I've spent £15k on modifications and nowt on the Porsche. Different league altogether.

I see three options:

I managed to get a lap with Moran (M3 GOT). He's doing 7.3x's and he's recently spent a lump on the car converting it to LHD and cage plus clubsport suspension. The car is unbelievable but more so the driver. He's also done away with the air con. The car is fun, but it's not nice to sit in. I'm not out to set times, I'm there to have fun and times will follow. I want to be reasonable comfortable in the process.

A final option, a bloody expensive option at that, would be to buy another GT3 997.1) and use that as a track car but really that's probably just bloody daft to save the paint on my Gen2.

ETA: I've only removed some interior on the 92 and with new seats it's weighing in at around 1540kg. My CSL is 1380kg and not sure on GT3.

What do you want out of the car? Outright speed? Then a VF supecharger could be your answer. Next weekend my brother will try his race E46 M3 against a 997.1 RS with 996 cup box and diff on track. Both cars are on slicks. The M3 is running 520bhp. GSR have dropped several S65 engines into E46 M3 coupes, which is also an option.

Or perhaps sell the E46 M3 and buy a V8 M3. Just a little story for you. A friend has a CSL, with PSS10s, 997 brakes, square 18" set up and Direzzas. Has probably done 250+ laps so he knows the place. Just before Mis-Hit-Miss we get flashed out of the way by a white V8 M3 on UK plates. Matt goes mental and says to me "watch this, the CSL is far lighter and superior car overall than this tub of lard..." We were going under the gantry, while the other M3 was close to pulling in at the barriers. The V8 is just superior in every aspect, driver emotions excluded. it turned out the V8 was Schirmered, but still a daily driver.

As to the black V8 Schirmer - this car is quicker than most GT3s in the hands of Tom...

Cheburator said:
bryce said:

I see three options:

What do you want out of the car? Outright speed? Then a VF supecharger could be your answer. Next weekend my brother will try his race E46 M3 against a 997.1 RS with 996 cup box and diff on track. Both cars are on slicks. The M3 is running 520bhp. GSR have dropped several S65 engines into E46 M3 coupes, which is also an option.

Or perhaps sell the E46 M3 and buy a V8 M3. Just a little story for you. A friend has a CSL, with PSS10s, 997 brakes, square 18" set up and Direzzas. Has probably done 250+ laps so he knows the place. Just before Mis-Hit-Miss we get flashed out of the way by a white V8 M3 on UK plates. Matt goes mental and says to me "watch this, the CSL is far lighter and superior car overall than this tub of lard..." We were going under the gantry, while the other M3 was close to pulling in at the barriers. The V8 is just superior in every aspect, driver emotions excluded. it turned out the V8 was Schirmered, but still a daily driver.

As to the black V8 Schirmer - this car is quicker than most GT3s in the hands of Tom...

Ah yes, on the last few DN's we've come across a locally driven black M3
Schirmer, on 'daum' plates...interior is seriously lightened, carbon everywhere
and boy he knows the place. The car is beautifully planted and carries huge
speed through pretty much everywhere... ! :thumb:

nick w said:

The "Tom" in my post stood for Tom Schirmer ;) :thumbs:

They are amazing cars, just not as involving as a GT3... But facing the prospect of 10k excess on my mint Mk1 CS vs 15k for a self build E46 M3 I'd live without the involvement... Or just track the 944 Turbo Cup...

Cheburator said:
nick w said:

The "Tom" in my post stood for Tom Schirmer ;) :thumbs:

They are amazing cars, just not as involving as a GT3... But facing the prospect of 10k excess on my mint Mk1 CS vs 15k for a self build E46 M3 I'd live without the involvement... Or just track the 944 Turbo Cup...

I never got the chance to ask him, is it chipped and running a standard
exhaust ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back