Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stainless steel silencer - Design Tek or Dansk?

jkeith

Having just replaced the pre-silencer for a nice Dansk unit (OE part no longer available) I now have stainless steel heat exchangers and pre-silencer. When the car was on the ramps, I noticed the main silencer has been repaired by a previous owner and is cracking beyond the repair weld. So, it's now time to get a replacement.

The existing silencer sounds great and has a non-standard 75mm outlet in stainless steel. The silencer itself is painted.

I am torn between two replacements:
The Dansk unit has an 84mm outlet (will that look tacky?) but is otherwise copying the Porsche design. Parts cost around the £400 mark.
The Design Tek unit has a 75mm outlet and is a custom design using 16 guage grade T304 stainless steel. Parts cost £299.

Both units are described as 'sports' or 'big bore' with a deeper exhaust note.

Does anyone have any similar previous experience on either of these units (or others)?

The sound of the car helped to influence my decision to purchase of the car over 8 years ago - for me it's like an orchestra every time I start it.

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks, Keith.

I have had a Hayward &Scott system fitted not cheap but one of the best.

They could do any part you made need.
Also any problems they are in the U/K.

Check out there web page.

Thanks See Ya, I did look at the Hayward and Scott range, great quality and I guess the value for money debate takes them out for me. I appreciate your recommendation though, nice kit. So far the Dansk option is leading, unless I get any advice to the contrary. Thanks again, Keith.

This post is old but if you're still wondering, here's what I think. I have no experience of Designtek but have fitted Dansk to various cars over the years, including most recently my ex SC. I think it was the exact muffler you refer to. Sounded great without any droning noise. Dansk have a good name as you probably know and I believe they make some exhaust components for Porsche also. I don't think you can really go wrong with them. Didn't they also acquire SSI which is of course the last word in pre-3.2 heat exchangers and mufflers?

Thanks Patronus, I was able to listen to a Dansk pre silencer and a silencer with the 80mm outlet. This was my preferred option.

It was much quieter than I had expected and inferior to my existing Dansk pre silencer with a modified silencer.

I then ordered a Fabspeed by-pass pipe. It turned out that this did not even fit (despite me ringing Design 911 to check first. Apparently a Fabspeed pre silencer or pipe is needed). This has been returned and I am planning on refurbishing my existing silencer to retain that gorgeous orchestra of exhaust bliss.

Exhaust noise is a very personal preference, more important to some.

Keith.

I just fitted a Design Tek System - very low cost but too 2 days to fit and we had to cut and re-weld the headers to make them bolt square to the heads.

They also touched hard onto the lower valve covers and had to be re-shaped to fit.

Nit the greatest experience

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back